$30.00
Elmismo Pancho
msg tools
So, last night we played haunt 68 "He Who must not be read" and I was the traitor. When we got to the point that the chest was located and opened, I realized that, the way the rules of the haunt was written, it was entirely possible that the heroes could win the haunt in one turn. From the traitor's tome:
Quote:
When the chest is opened: Inside is a rabbit that runs out. It now takes its turn in order after the hero who opened the Chest, and flees from the heroes as a monster with Speed 4. A hero may attempt a Speed roll of 3+ to kill it.

So, when Flash opened the chest, we replaced the token, and then came the question: Can I try to kill the rabbit now?, because it was still Flash's turn and the rabbit hadn't moved yet. The rules say that a Hero may perform any number of rolls, as long as they are not for the same test. And the haunt continued very similar from this point. If he could kill the rabbit, it would turn into a duck, that Flash could kill again, and keep on doing tests until he destroys every Soulcrux (a very small chance, but possible)
We ended out house ruling it, that the moment an item changed, the turn of the hero ends, so the rabbit (then the duck, etc) takes its turn immediately. What do you guys think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jonas

Oakdale
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, since monsers can explore can they pick up cards from revealed rooms?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dayton Brown

Indiana
msg tools
I played Betrayal and the expansion for the first time tonight! This was our haunt. It was my game I had never played it before nor had anyone else. Someone else was the traitor and I helped him with this haunt. I thought it made more sense that the rabbit, duck, etc were running away as soon as they appeared. All the explorers were in the same or adjacent rooms. We ended up winning pretty quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elmismo Pancho
msg tools
sirpoonga wrote:

If you are talking about event & item cards, I really don't think so. I believe the rule for exploring its meant to make it easier for the monsters to escape. For instance, they can go through the collapsed room, even if is not connected to another room yet. In our game, when the collapsed room appeared, the hero passed the test, so the connecting room to the collapsed room didn't appeared. So in this haunt, I think a monster could go through the collapsed room to the basement, placing a new tile.
dayton2112 wrote:
I played Betrayal and the expansion for the first time tonight! This was our haunt. It was my game I had never played it before nor had anyone else. Someone else was the traitor and I helped him with this haunt. I thought it made more sense that the rabbit, duck, etc were running away as soon as they appeared. All the explorers were in the same or adjacent rooms. We ended up winning pretty quickly.

Yes, is not so hard for the heroes to pass the tests, IF they are healthy. The traitor in this haunt SHOULD attack them every turn because he is invincible, and focus on one to turn him/her into a wraith. That said, I really think that the monsters are too slow, beacause they always will get the penalty of exiting the room with a hero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jonas

Oakdale
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To the OP. When our group played this we thought it would be too easy to constantly do the trait rolls. So we treated it as though it was an attack that required a special type of roll (which is allowed in the rules). We ruled no revolver attack though, only in the same room. This seem to make more sense to give the horcruxes, I mean items, a chance to run away.

We ended up with an amusing turn of events. The egg rolled through the room where you need to roll 6 sanity to pass, then into a hallway, and then into the vault. One of the explorers tried to create a back way to the egg before the vault showed up. But then the vaults showed up. It made it really easy for he who shall not be read to guard the egg without being in the same room as the egg. The survivors did win, barely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elias Zacarias
Chile
flag msg tools
I was in the OP's game session so I'm also very curious about how people are playing this Haunt.

sirpoonga wrote:
When our group played this we thought it would be too easy to constantly do the trait rolls. So we treated it as though it was an attack that required a special type of roll (which is allowed in the rules). We ruled no revolver attack though, only in the same room. This seem to make more sense to give the horcruxes, I mean items, a chance to run away.

This is interesting. While the result of your approach is pretty much the same as what we ended up doing, I wouldn't play them as attacks; you are not exactly "fighting" the soulcruxes; they don't defend with a trait (which is required even by attacks using something other than might), you can't stun them nor steal from them, and you don't receive damage if you fail the roll.

I've been reading the manual a lot since the haunt, and confusingly enough the rulebook talks about haunt actions under two different concepts; Task rolls (as they are briefly mentioned in "Attempt a die roll", page 12) and haunt-specific actions (as they are called by the end of "Make an Attack", page 13). Both concepts seem to be used for the same thing. There is no glossary entry for "task roll" but the entry for haunt-specific action (p.21) uses an "exorcism roll" as example, which is also the same example used in the rulebook for a task roll in page 13.

Task rolls are treated almost in the same way as "trait rolls" are, with the extra clarification that even if a task can be accomplished by two different rolls (e.g: a sanity roll or a knowledge roll) you can only attempt one of them.

It's not clear however whether you can perform just one haunt-specific action per turn or as many as you want/can. Since task rolls are considered "die rolls", the common assumption is that you can perform any number of them during your turn as long as they are for different tasks. I've seen this discussed in the forums before for other haunts, and people seem to agree on this.

The thing is that the rulebook seem to indicate that you perform only one haunt-specific action during your turn, but the wording is weird and the example provided doesn't help. A clarification on that would clear this question and probably change the way a lot of haunts are played.

This is not really a far-fetched theory. The official instructions put a lot of emphasis on the fact that you can do both a haunt-specific action and an attack during your turn, as if people would somehow believe they are mutually exclusive. This clarification appears twice in the manual (p.13, p.21) and once in the FAQ (p.8). I can't think of a single reason for the designers to believe that people would be confused about that unless "haunt-actions" were supposed to work in the same ways as attacks do; this is, that you can perform only one per turn, even if you have multiple "targets" (or possibilities).

sirpoonga wrote:

There's nothing in the rulebook about the way monsters would deal with events/omen/item cards, but the text does contain rules for the traitor, so I'd assume they do not pick cards even if they can explore the house.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jonas

Oakdale
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrTwister wrote:

There's nothing in the rule book about the way monsters would deal with events/omen/item cards, but the text does contain rules for the traitor, so I'd assume they do not pick cards even if they can explore the house.

That's what we assumed also. There aren't rules in the rule book for monsters with items because there is the rule they can't explore. Thus they wouldn't get cards. However, in this haunt they can explore but the haunt rules leave it at that. We figured it would be way too powerful for the traitor to have the monsters pick up items, and the Wraiths.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mitchell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To me it seems pretty clear that once freed, the new soul container flees before you can try to destroy it. That's the way we played and it made for quite a good Haunt. Otherwise this one would be FAR too easy for the Heroes.

What amazes me is that no one has asked what is by far the biggest question for this Haunt: What are the stats for the Wraiths???? It NEVER says! We just played that a Wraith has the starting stats of the Hero if they were lower when he died, but this is a pretty major omission I would like to see corrected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.