Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Morency
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In the preliminary round it explicitly states you cannot place a shrine on the herbal isle. We believed the rules did not state that we couldn't place novices on the herbal isle so I placed 2 there to start.

I obtained a shrine token and built a shrine on the herbal isle in the first round. For the rest of the game I was using 2 novices on a different isle, using 1 novice on herbal isle to get an herb token and then recovering those 2 novices on the original isle. I was able to do this twice in a round, since I had two novices on herbal isle, while never having more than one herb token.

Did we play correctly? What I was doing didn't seem very fair at the time, but I couldn't find anything that contradicted it in the rules. It seemed to me that if you missed out on building the shrine on herbal isle you missed out on the opportunity to have extra actions. I suppose the answer to this is that the other players should use the candle to force the round to end while I'm fiddling around getting extra actions. I also realize that it was just chance that the master builder was on herbal isle in the first round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Odinsfury wrote:
I obtained a shrine token and built a shrine on the herbal isle in the first round.

The only thing I see you could have possibly done wrong is that you didn't state where the architect was. You can only build a shrine on the island the architect token is on. Its pretty common for multiple players to double novice the island where the architect starts so they can get an early temple. I would have expected the other players to also build the shrine here. If you played correctly, everyone else had the same opportunity you did, so there is nothing unfair about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Odinsfury wrote:
In the preliminary round it explicitly states you cannot place a shrine on the herbal isle. We believed the rules did not state that we couldn't place novices on the herbal isle so I placed 2 there to start.

The rule about not placing a shrine there in the preliminary round only applies to the 2p game.

Odinsfury wrote:
I obtained a shrine token and built a shrine on the herbal isle in the first round. For the rest of the game I was using 2 novices on a different isle, using 1 novice on herbal isle to get an herb token and then recovering those 2 novices on the original isle. I was able to do this twice in a round, since I had two novices on herbal isle, while never having more than one herb token.

Did we play correctly? What I was doing didn't seem very fair at the time, but I couldn't find anything that contradicted it in the rules. It seemed to me that if you missed out on building the shrine on herbal isle you missed out on the opportunity to have extra actions. I suppose the answer to this is that the other players should use the candle to force the round to end while I'm fiddling around getting extra actions. I also realize that it was just chance that the master builder was on herbal isle in the first round.

Doesn't sound like you were doing anything wrong from what I can tell, though it has been a while since we played the game. I assume when you used the Herb token, that was your only action for the turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Rather
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
It's like a dream
badge
I want to dream
mbmbmbmbmb
Odinsfury wrote:

This is all legal play, but it should theoretically result in wasting a lot of time cycling your actions. So in a 4p game I'd expect other players to end the round before you get a big benefit out of this and then they spent the round doing stuff while you spent the round at the Herb Island Water Park.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Morency
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I should have specified that it was a 2 player game. Yes, the architect was there when I built the shrine and I did play the herb token as a separate action, meaning I made sure not to accidentally chain actions together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Larkin
England
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not played 2p but yes the other player should have had an equal chance to do the same thing, or put several novices in the temple and shut the round down quickly so that you can't benifit.

They could also have moved the apostate on to the herb island to disrupt your actions (most people forget that active novices can move the apostate)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.