Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Huffman
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone play this on Vassal? I would be interested in joining a group of people who'd like to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Freiburger
Canada
flag msg tools
Yes, this game is often played in Vassel. There are a couple of ways to do it. Some people play by email (usually these are 1v1 games). Others play in group"sessions" similar to how you would play face to face.

I've played by email a number of times and it works fairly well, but it requires a large investment in time.

I'm personally also looking for a vassal group to join for session play. But it can be hard to coordinate time zones. What time zone are you in? Perhaps we can start something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Huffman
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool. I think I'd prefer email. Couldn't you do a group email? or is the issue that it would take too much time? I think Time is one thing that WiF consumes easily!!! LOL

I have a weird schedule and probably couldn't do a live session, though I would like to.

So I guess I'll just say that anyone interested in 1v1 should either post here or send me a GMail. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Freiburger
Canada
flag msg tools
I have played 5 or 6 games via email. I would be open to giving it another go. (But I have not played an email game in about a year so I might be a bit rusty.)

In my humble problem the challenge with email is reactions. It can really slow the game down, especially in long turns where there are naval moves/air/land combat, ect. The early game works quite well but things get bogged down later on.

If both players are generally around the computer and in similar time zones it can work. That said, the last time I played my opponent had a more flexible schedule than me and I ended up feeling really guilty as I could not keep up with him. He waited quite a bit for me while I never had to wait for him.

What time zone are you in? I'm in North America in the mountain time zone (GMT -6). I've been feeling the WiF itch lately so maybe we could attempt to schedule a game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Noget
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi,

You can use Skype or apps for simple text questions, for the regular questions on e.g. reaction into seazones. That way you make a log with your moves, notify on skype and then the passive player just tells what he does or makes his own log and the active player continues. Keep the logfiles in a dropbox folder that are shared among all players.

Normally we just use Vassals diceroller. I know that one can cheat, but that is really not cricket and it is really not worthwhile doing it for one's own mental sanity.

Jesper

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Huffman
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryan and Jesper,

Would a multiple person game be feasible? I am playing Churchill with three and it seems to be going fast enough for me. We are taking about 30 turns per conference, if you know the game.

In CC, there is a log file and you just interrupt the file as needed and readjust the odds when appropriate. I guess what I'm hearing is that it REALLY slows things down in late war WiF.

Personally, I'm ok with that, but understand if you'd be hesitant. I already sent Ryan a Dropbox invitation. I can basically commit to one move/reaction per day. If that is too slow, I'll understand.

Dan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Freiburger
Canada
flag msg tools
Hey, I replied to your email - let's give this a shot.

I honestly think a 3 player PBEM game would be really difficult. Since turns happen simultaneously, it would generally be very hard to coordinate everything with 3 people.

If one plays online over vassal in real time then multiple players are possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Dan,

The problem with WIF PBEM is all the back-and-forthing. "OK, I'm attacking hex X. You flying cap?"

"No."

"OK, here's my ground support. You intercepting?"

"Yep, I'll send in these two fighters."

"OK, I'll counter-intercept with this one. Line up your fighters."

"OK, lined up."

"OK, mine are lined up. Here's the first round."

"Hey, I got a DA against you. You aborting your front bomber or front fighter?"

Etc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Huffman
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wendell, it has been a long time since I have played WiF ... so maybe my simple response is not a realistic one.

I think all the Cap can be announced at once? And then the Active player flies his missions ... and then all responses are told.

During the fighting segment, I'm assuming that some amount of conditionals can be put out

"If you destroy a fighter, I'll choose the third one, but if it is just aborted, abort the front one" (um if that is legal, but you get the idea)

I guess I'll find out quickly, as Ryan and I are about to start a game! :-)

.... Ryan 70 Options!!! OMG That alone will take 4 back and forth emails.laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
huffman123 wrote:
Wendell, it has been a long time since I have played WiF ... so maybe my simple response is not a realistic one.

I think all the Cap can be announced at once? And then the Active player flies his missions ... and then all responses are told.

During the fighting segment, I'm assuming that some amount of conditionals can be put out

"If you destroy a fighter, I'll choose the third one, but if it is just aborted, abort the front one" (um if that is legal, but you get the idea)

I guess I'll find out quickly, as Ryan and I are about to start a game! :-)

.... Ryan 70 Options!!! OMG That alone will take 4 back and forth emails.laugh

Well TECHNICALLY, CAP is announced for each and every possible type of air mission. So my CAP against your air transport does NOT count as CAP against your ground strikes or against your strat bombing, etc.

The one time I DID play WIF by email, my friend and I used our best judgment on interception and the like.

Now, playing WIF on Vassal live and using Skype, that's the next best thing to being in the same physical location...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Noget
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Regarding CAP:
We just ruled that unless announced at the end of the prior impulse, no CAP are flown.

We actually do the same when playing F2F.

Yours,

Jesper
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Morrell
Australia
flag msg tools
I've done it and loved it and would like to do it again. Contact me if anyone is interested.

Vassal by email works fine. Log files get passed from player to player. Better to use an external dice roller -not because it prevents cheating - but because it notified the non-phasing player(s) of when a resolution occurs and why - they can then reply be email to say "I abort" or "I fight on" (for air/navel combat) without having to wait for the log file to be delivered. Sending an image of the particular air/sea combat also speeds things along.

With goodwill it all works out fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.