Mr. Octavius
Canada
Chilliwack
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules question about the rivalry relationship:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Rivalry lets one person discard two cards to claim the card their rival just played / discarded. Does this work for funded (or unfunded for that matter) events? This felt ridiculously powerful as two player's kept passing an event card back and forth every time they played it until we lost all our funding...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Relationship question (February Spoilers)
Yes, it works that way.

(Since this thread is already marked February spoilers, I'm not going to mark anything up to February as spoilers.)

Giving up 2 cards is a high cost. Yes, some events are extremely powerful, but that's 2 cards that aren't going to help find a cure, can't be used for travel, or to build new research stations. Plus the rivals have to be the ones to draw the event in the first place. So if you want to play an event twice, yeah it only costs you 2 extra cards, but when you want to play it 3 times, now you're at 4 extra cards, and unless you've made a lot of progress on the cures already and are confident you won't need those cards, the opportunity cost of giving up those cards can be too high.

All that said, I do remember one game with Rivals where we played Resilient Population 3 times. Too many cities with 3 cubes in them due to Epidemics too close to each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see why not; however, we found it much more useful for picking up cards to get cures. Either way it is a very nice way to make use of cards in the cod color, especially in the early months. It is definitely one of the stronger relationship cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bruns
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just last week we were playing with rivals and needed to cure black for a win. One rival had four black and the other had one, but only four cards it did not look like there would be an ability to discard it. Then as the player with the four cards drew, no black, but he picked up one quiet night. He played it and the rival discarded two cards to pick it up, of course one was the black. Then his rival discarded his other remaining two cards to get the fifth black for the cure.

It is definitely a powerful combo when the opportunity knocks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, we just discovered the awesomeness of Rivals yesterday as well. We're quite far along in the year and have managed to upgrade all diseases as far as we can, so curing is quite easy. So when we lost a game for the first time in a few months, we picked up One Quiet Night and played it about five or six times in one game. Fun stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
Could you please tweak the subject line of this posting? It spoilers that Relationships arrive in January or February.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clivej wrote:
Could you please tweak the subject line of this posting? It spoilers that Relationships arrive in January or February.
Is it really though? The fact that they are on the character sheets when you open the box implied to me it was pretty obvious they would be available very soon.

Having the month of the spoiler and a vague title that is still specific is necessary for people to know what the thread is about and if it is relevant to them. I don't think there is any other way to word it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
"Rules question (spoilers for start of February)" would be my preference.

You've seen the bit in the rulebook which says "In later games, it is possible for cities to become isolated so that outbreaks in it do not affect any adjacent cities. In this case..." - would you thank me for telling you which month that appears? Someone who's not yet encountered relationships will probably feel the same about those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clivej wrote:
"Rules question (spoilers for start of February)" would be my preference.

You've seen the bit in the rulebook which says "In later games, it is possible for cities to become isolated so that outbreaks in it do not affect any adjacent cities. In this case..." - would you thank me for telling you which month that appears? Someone who's not yet encountered relationships will probably feel the same about those.
So the entire rules section of this game should be threads all titled "Rules question (spoilers for MONTH)"? How would anyone find anything? Every month has several new things a thread could be about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Octavius
Canada
Chilliwack
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clivej wrote:

Title changed. Relationships are on the cards so everyone knows they will come up at some point.

Thanks you everyone for the answers. While it's true that discarding two cards can make it harder to cure, that's probably worth it to prevent a potential outbreak that stays permanently on the board. Especially if the cards you discard are the CoDA colour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with the current title is that you have to have finished the game to open the thread, because you don't know what month(s) are spoiled.

Having the entire forum be "Rules Question (MONTH Spoilers)" would be terrible, although to some extent that's already what we have to do.

I don't know, maybe people just shouldn't read the rules forums if they don't want spoilers. But since the overall page view currently aggregates the forums, and there's no way to make sure you don't pick up a spoiler thread in there... I guess we're stuck with tagging threads this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
Yeah, it's difficult, I know.

And we do see the same questions asked multiple times because of the trouble people have finding previous instances. Though the FAQ helps a lot with that and I hope the IAQ I put together fills a few of the gaps.

But letting people avoid spoilers is pretty important. I'm not sure how we can do better without technical assistance. If Legacy games become more common, I guess BGG might divert some development effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
InfoCynic wrote:
The problem with the current title is that you have to have finished the game to open the thread, because you don't know what month(s) are spoiled.

If you've encountered relationships, you know which month they appear in. If they change later, then that's deeper spoilers than just relationships, so I'm happy with treating the entire thread as defaulting to February spoilers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh, if a thread is marked "Rule X (spoilers)", you're taking a big risk opening that thread unless you are 100% sure you know all the things about Rule X, which is hard to say with certainty before campaign end.

My rule before I finished was that I wouldn't open any thread that said "spoilers" without a month, because I didn't know what months would be spoiled. Even if it looked like something I knew about, I couldn't be certain they weren't talking about some way it changed later in the campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.