15 Posts

Commissioned» Forums » General

Subject: Playing Time rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JP JP

California
msg tools
We are really enjoying the game here. We just finished our 6th play of the Acts of the Apostles scenario. No wins yet, but a couple of "almosts"

I am curious about how long it takes people to finish a game. I believe 1 hour is the estimated time. All of our games have taken a lot more time than that. The shortest game has been just over 2 hours.

I don't mind if the game takes 1 hour or 5, as it is quite fun. I am just wondering if people really finish in an hour

Our games so far have been 2 player affairs.

Thanks!

Jeff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Lysaght
msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff,

We are so glad you are enjoying Commissioned! As for time, games with mostly new players clock in around 75-90 minutes (less if they are familiar with deck building). Experienced players clock in just under and hour. Are you playing with the message die? If not, the extra discussion could be where the extra time is coming from. That being said, as long as your group is enjoying the game it is a win in our book!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP JP

California
msg tools
I thought we were playjng fast. Apparently not

I read about a promo card here somewhere. Do you have any available?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Lysaght
msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The promo is a single 4-Faith card. If you would like one, send a Paypal with $1 and your US shipping address to plysaght@charagames.com!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP JP

California
msg tools
Thanks Patrick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeffery1212 wrote:
We are really enjoying the game here. We just finished our 6th play of the Acts of the Apostles scenario. No wins yet, but a couple of "almosts"

I am curious about how long it takes people to finish a game. I believe 1 hour is the estimated time. All of our games have taken a lot more time than that. The shortest game has been just over 2 hours.

I don't mind if the game takes 1 hour or 5, as it is quite fun. I am just wondering if people really finish in an hour

Our games so far have been 2 player affairs.

Thanks!

Jeff

Our games have tended to be roughly two hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Lysaght
msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeffery1212 wrote:
Thanks Patrick

Jeff,

We received your PayPal, and have mailed the promo card. You should get it in a week or so.

Respectfully,
Patrick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP JP

California
msg tools
The card arrived...thanks!

We got back to this game yesterday. Still playing the basic scenario. it was a disastrous affair

We did not get out of the Jerusalem "region". We were hit with two extinguish churches events near the beginning. We had just two small groups on the prowl and the second extinguish card took them both out.We were also hit with missionary stops for the entire region. During the mature phases we did not, at any point, have the points to buy a card valued higher than "2".

After about half the trials deck was gone we had just the two apostles on the board. Through assorted events all the church members were gone!

Then, I noticed I was seeing certain trial cards I hadn't seen before. I realized I hadn't removed the cards not meant for use in the first scenario. That could have made a difference

Fun in a tragic sort of way

Jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Lysaght
msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ouch! It is called the Martyr Deck for a reason...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP JP

California
msg tools
I wonder if others have had such a remarkably unlucky game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got this game and played one 2-player game of the starting scenario. We won, but it came right down to the wire. We were on the last trial and had 1 more book to add and it was just a matter of getting "lucky" enough to pull it into our hand. Great game! Looking forward to trying one of the other scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeffery1212 wrote:
I wonder if others have had such a remarkably unlucky game

Not of the first scenario; but I've certainly seen similar disasters in some of the other scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Lysaght
msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoovee wrote:
Just got this game and played one 2-player game of the starting scenario. We won, but it came right down to the wire. We were on the last trial and had 1 more book to add and it was just a matter of getting "lucky" enough to pull it into our hand. Great game! Looking forward to trying one of the other scenarios.

Matt,

Glad you are enjoying Commissioned! Good luck exploring the other scenarios.

Patrick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Berent
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I still love playing the game, and my hardcore gamer friends are "surprised" at how good the game is after they've prejudged it at the start of play. SURPRISE!

Having said that, our games tend to go over 2 hours, too, so I can't comprehend getting done in less than an hour with four or more players?! Very impressive if folks can pull that off.

I've yet to play with the hard (red) deck, since the easy (blue) deck has been more than enough of a challenge. We normally win or lose by the skin of our teeth on the last round. Without additional buffs/bonuses, I'm not sure how to manage to win if things get much harder?

Anyway --- keep up the great work! (And Happy Thanksgiving while I'm at it.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mangis
United States
Medical Lake
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
Afraid we haven't been keeping track of play times, but I would advise starting out with Paul and Barnabas on their missionary journeys. It's a smaller map, with fewer books. I've done it with two players before. A lot of stops on the board at the beginning though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.