Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

The Dingo Ate The Baby» Forums » General

Subject: What inspired the theme of this game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim K
Australia
Colonel Light Gardens
SA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the theme of this due to the death of Azaria Chamberlain? This is a famous court case in Australia about the death of a baby that was apparently taken and killed by a dingo in 1980.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Azaria_Chamberlain
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Shaunessy

California
msg tools
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmb
This game's theme has nothing to do with any real life event. It is a play on Rock, Paper, Scissors.

Babies scare Elephants
Elephants stomp Lions
Lions stalk Dingos
Dingos eat Babies
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K
Australia
Colonel Light Gardens
SA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark UD OP wrote:
This game's theme has nothing to do with any real life event. It is a play on Rock, Paper, Scissors.

Babies scare Elephants
Elephants stomp Lions
Lions stalk Dingos
Dingos eat Babies


But is "Dingos eat Babies" a common saying, or is the 1980 event the origin of this?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Turpin
Canada
Falmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The incident created the saying world-wide. The game is in bad taste even now. Azaria would be 35 years old had she not been eaten.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Craig
msg tools
Kerbster76 wrote:


But is "Dingos eat Babies" a common saying, or is the 1980 event the origin of this?


Correct, the real life event eventually spawned a movie with Tom Selleck and Laura San Giacomo called, "Quigley Down Under". In the movie, where she plays an apparent crazy person for a while, there is the dingo scene. After that scene, the two meet back up and she starts frantically screaming, "The dino ate my baby".

After that, many people who liked to quote movies latched on to the words (and way she said it) and it became a popular saying.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Erikson
United States
Kent
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
I have to agree this one needs a name change
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Petersen
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
Waiting in line for RFTG: Alien Artifacts since 2010
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a fictional band in Buffy the vampire slayer called 'Dingoes ate my baby'. Maybe the designer is a fan?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
NFLD wrote:
The incident created the saying world-wide. The game is in bad taste even now. Azaria would be 35 years old had she not been eaten.


In the US, it has been a joke for more than 15 years (see this list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dingoes_ate_my_baby).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Apart from the above, why do the dingoes look like Wylie E Coyote?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Campbell
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mikarmagsp wrote:
Kerbster76 wrote:


But is "Dingos eat Babies" a common saying, or is the 1980 event the origin of this?


Correct, the real life event eventually spawned a movie with Tom Selleck and Laura San Giacomo called, "Quigley Down Under". In the movie, where she plays an apparent crazy person for a while, there is the dingo scene. After that scene, the two meet back up and she starts frantically screaming, "The dino ate my baby".

After that, many people who liked to quote movies latched on to the words (and way she said it) and it became a popular saying.


Actually, a more famous movie was A Cry in the Dark. Meryl Streep was nominated for an Oscar for her portrayal of the baby's mother.

I'm taking Mr. Shaunessy at his word when he says the game wasn't an intentional reference to the incident, but I think most consumers are going to be appalled by the title.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Petersen
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
Waiting in line for RFTG: Alien Artifacts since 2010
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, probably not 'most'
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Fowler
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Mark UD OP wrote:
This game's theme has nothing to do with any real life event. It is a play on Rock, Paper, Scissors.

Babies scare Elephants
Elephants stomp Lions
Lions stalk Dingos
Dingos eat Babies


If the real life event hadn't happened your dingos wouldn't be eating babies. There's no denying the link to the real life event.

Unless of course you're claimaing that you had an epiphony one day that dingos naturally eat babies, completely ignorant of the popular saying which is a reference to a real life event.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark UD OP wrote:
This game's theme has nothing to do with any real life event. It is a play on Rock, Paper, Scissors.

Babies scare Elephants
Elephants stomp Lions
Lions stalk Dingos
Dingos eat Babies


The mechanics are Rock, Paper, Scissors.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, the Seinfeld and Buffy references came during a time when it was believed the mother was lying - not after the 2012 inquest when the coroner delivered her findings that Azaria really was killed by dingoes.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sirjonsnow wrote:
Also, the Seinfeld and Buffy references came during a time when it was believed the mother was lying - not after the 2012 inquest when the coroner delivered her findings that Azaria really was killed by dingoes.


Which makes it worse not better as folks reciting that line are mocking an innocent woman who endured such a horrible event.

If it had not occured, the game would not have this name.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoang Pham
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
The theme and cover art could have easily been less disturbing...


Rats scare Elephants
Elephants stomp Lions
Lions stalk Dingos
Dingos eat Rats

7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.