10 Posts

Shadowrift: Eve of the Sickle Moon» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules for new villagers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Namit Kaura
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering what the rules for the new villagers are since there's no instructions in the box. Do you just add them to the appropriate decks (and increase the counts for the two decks) or do you also remove some of the original ones so you still have 14 travelers and 10 regular villagers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Anderson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
TMan256 wrote:
I was wondering what the rules for the new villagers are since there's no instructions in the box. Do you just add them to the appropriate decks (and increase the counts for the two decks) or do you also remove some of the original ones so you still have 14 travelers and 10 regular villagers?

Swap them in with Villagers of the same type (Villager/Traveler) and symbol. Fisherman instead of Farmer or Smith, for example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Y
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a quick way to figure out which villagers/travelers are from the expansion. Like what is the break down of each of the different types for both villagers/travelers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Anderson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
asianavatar wrote:
Is there a quick way to figure out which villagers/travelers are from the expansion. Like what is the break down of each of the different types for both villagers/travelers

Not really.

The Villagers should be:
1 Bread, 2 Crown, 3 Hammer, 4 Shield

The Travelers should be:
1 Hammer, 1 Shield, 2 Crown, 3 Bread, 4 Book, 4 Dagger

The Sickle Moon townsfolk are:
Herbalist (Book Traveler)
Trader (Crown Villager)
Fisher (Hammer Villager)

There's also a special Wall, the Tanglewood Rampart, which goes in the stack of Walls but doesn't impact the Wall victory condition one way or the other (building the 8 non-Rampart Walls wins the game, and building the Rampart doesn't count as one of your 8 Walls to win)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Price
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
If you are font sensitive, the herbalist and the trader use a different font and/or size. The three expansion cards are also a slightly different shade in the borders and background - very slight. I can recognize them instantly across the board, but it's not really significant. The backs seem the same colors and font as I never notice them face down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R B
United States
Mayville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Is there any reason not to just add them to the originals? I don't have this expansion (yet) so I'm not familiar with the new cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Anderson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
rbeall88 wrote:
Is there any reason not to just add them to the originals? I don't have this expansion (yet) so I'm not familiar with the new cards.

There are three or four notable points of impact.
1: You definitely can't start with a larger town than normal. That makes the game too easy.
2: You can't start with a larger Traveler deck than normal IF you're playing against the Lycanthropes. That would give you extra turns between Full Moon power.
3: If you start any extra townsfolk in the Traveler deck and you're not playing against the Lycanthrope faction, you have the early advantage of the Infiltrators being farther apart and thus less likely to move into town as quickly, but opposite that you have the mid-game disadvantage of the Guards being hard to re-hire because the Traveler deck is bigger.

If you want to make sure the game's as hard as it should be but still include all the cards, I'd say
a) Don't play Lycanthropes
b) If you're playing non-Demons, include 2 Cultists too.
c) If you're playing Demons, include 2 of the non-Cultist Infiltrators too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skazz of Discworld
msg tools
mbmbmb
I would like to see this explanation in the big errata thread As well. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skazz of Discworld
msg tools
mbmbmb
karishi wrote:
asianavatar wrote:

Not really.

The Villagers should be:

The Travelers should be:

Trader (Crown Villager)
Fisher (Hammer Villager)

There's also a special Wall, the Tanglewood Rampart, which goes in the stack of Walls but doesn't impact the Wall victory condition one way or the other (building the 8 non-Rampart Walls wins the game, and building the Rampart doesn't count as one of your 8 Walls to win)

Really 2 Crown Travelers ? I only have 1 in the Base game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Anderson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
skazz wrote:
karishi wrote:
asianavatar wrote:

Not really.

The Villagers should be:

The Travelers should be:

Trader (Crown Villager)
Fisher (Hammer Villager)

Really 2 Crown Travelers ? I only have 1 in the Base game

No, not really. I misspoke.
1+1+2+3+4+4 would be 15, and there are 14 Travelers. There's 1 Crown Traveler.

However! I've also found that against everyone but Demons and Lycanthropes it really is fine to simplify the town-building process:
Throw the first 10 Villagers you find who aren't Travelers into your starting town. Put the rest in your Traveler deck. That's it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.