Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dustin Taylor
United States
Somerset
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At the end of the prologue it says to destroy all character cards, so we did. Now there are no characters for game 1??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
spunXtain wrote:
At the end of the prologue it says to destroy all character cards, so we did. Now there are no characters for game 1??

COorrect. But you only destroy the ones you were using. Not the leftover ones you were instructed to put away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Destroy the ones used in the prologue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Taylor
United States
Somerset
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KoalaXav wrote:
spunXtain wrote:

COorrect. But you only destroy the ones you were using. Not the leftover ones you were instructed to put away.

It didn't say that. The wording said destroy ALL character cards. It didn't say the ones from the current game only. The rulebook should specify that, I'm used to playing by the book literally. Guess it's ruined now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary g
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Am sorry....
But.........
LOL!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank The Tank
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seeing as they only included 5 guys and 5 girls with the same and we were playing with 4 guys (and thus wanted to each play a guy) we skipped that part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael M.
United States
Bloomington-Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one spoiler I was very glad to have heard ahead I time. Since I knew that the first leader I picked was going to be killed off at the end of the prologue, I just picked one I didn't care about and named them "Sharkbait."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Urso McDaniel
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree it's poorly worded.

When I read it I initially thought it meant every Character card in the game but a bit of caution from another player had me wait until game 1 to verify.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Haag
United States
Hamburg
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well, I read "Destroy the leader cards. They are no longer in the game." as "Destroy the leader cards that aren't in the game."

So our group ended up destroying all the ones we weren't using. Even as we were doing it, in the back of my mind I was thinking, "How are we going to use the 'bring a new player into the game' rules if we happen to get a 5th player at some point?"

Then we did the first game, read the intro to that, realized what was happening, and it all clicked.

Right after we'd destroyed all the other leader cards.

Apparently, all of our descendants look remarkably like their ancestors.

Although I did have one other thought:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
What was the point of marking all the characters with province stickers before the prologue game if they're just going to be destroyed at the end of it? Were they not supposed to be destroyed, but rather put into the storage chest for some later game in the campaign? I don't have the game with me at the moment, so I can't look up the Captain's Booke to see exactly what the instructions were right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[spoiler]When you unseal the last box, the leaders you destroyed will be there. (Amazingly, this is true regardless of which leaders you destroy in your own game, and the correct faction stickers will be on them, as will any funny mustaches you added.) In the storyline, they were resurrected by aliens and are bent on conquering their former provinces and killing their family and friends. If you don't actually destroy your leaders, then the final box won't include the alien leaders cards, or rules 24-29 on the page 21b insert.[/spoiler]

For those who can't tell, the above was a load of BS ... or was it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E.

Virginia
msg tools
mb
What a dirty trick. Even by what the designer intended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've got to be honest. I didn't destroy the cards at all. We are still using new leaders for Game 1, but the art on the cards is just too nice to tear them up. So our original leaders are put away and out of the game. But they will remain as keepsakes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
spunXtain wrote:

I wasn't sure about that either so I threw the ones not in the game into our trash bag undestroyed just in case. We got lucky there. The wording really could have been a little more clear.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
spotH3D wrote:
What a dirty trick. Even by what the designer intended.

Is it really?

Have we not been told all along that the choices we make in the prologue would not affect us in later games?

Did we also not know that the fragile peace between provinces would crumble alloeing us to raid enemy harbors?

If you have played the prologue, you will understand this is part of a narrative and narrative is one of the things that set legacy games apart, along with surprises and permanent changes. This counts as all three.

It explains why the glory in the prologue doesnt "count." All the leaders mysteriously vanished rather than returning home to reap the benefits of their glory. Not knowing who to blame, the children of the leaders have grown to distrust each other, suspecting foul play in the disappearances.

In one fell swoop, they have set up a mystery, a rationale for the prologue, and a reason to seek revenge.

When bad things happen to the good guys in movies, do you also think its a dirty trick on behalf of the writers? Sometimes the most shocking surprises are the ones we remember the most.

I'm not complaining. I want to solve this mystery!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.