Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
I've heard Clank! called Ascension + Trains, but what are its benefits over Tyrants of the Underdark?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. I'm not really sure where to begin with this one. I can see why you might ask as they are both deckbuilders connected to a boardgame, but they feel so very different.

Tyrants got played once and only one of us cared for it at all. The rest would just as soon never see it again. It's a very aggressive area control game. I didn't really feel the theme that much.

Clank is a game where the players are racing through a dungeon trying to grab the most loot that they can before turning around and escaping alive (if you can). It is VERY thematic. I feel it's the first time for this sort of hybrid to start with a board game and then add the deckbuilding element. Others of its ilk feel just the opposite. Everyone who played loved this game when I brought it out yesterday. I even "had" to play it twice so that more could get a shot at it, and that sort of thing is usually unheard of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Oh, thanks. I should have been clearer in that TotU is a Dudes on a Map game and Clank! is a push-your-luck game (how deep do you go), but I was wondering more about the deckbuilding/card acquiring part of - does one offer more control over your deck than the other one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both games follow the random pool used by Ascension and many others. There are a few standard cards you can always buy. There are a few random cards you can buy that get replaced when the player's turn ends. That's going to mean less control than a game like Trains or Dominion where you can just shop through all of the cards in the game as you want. Tyrants is more interested in getting related cards into your deck than Clank is. Not sure what other facets might be relevant to you here, but I'll continue to try to answer questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Isch
United States
chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What your asking is like trying to compare monopoly to the Ouija board. Both are made by Milton Bradley but are totally different. Sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristo Vaher
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is fair to compare these two despite them looking different. They are both board games that replace their usual controlling mechanisms into a deckbuilder. Deckbuilding is a restrictive control mechanism, meaning that you don't get to do everything you want to do, because the hand of cards restricts you.

In other words, usually in games like Tyrants and Clank! you would have actions and you can do anything. But in deckbuilder, these actions are restricted.

And I personally think that Clank! actually benefits from this, since it has humor and it has more of a chaotic, unpredictable nature of a small scale dungeoncrawling.

Tyrants? Not so much. I don't think that area control type of games benefit from deckbuilder restrictions. I do like Mythotopia, but the latter is much better tied to the actual game board (through area cards).

So, in my book? Clank! > Mythotopia > Tyrants
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You should also ask this in the Tyrants board also. I get the feeling you might get some interesting answers there also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both games and both are great in my opinion. It just depends on what you want.

Tyrants is less thematic, more highly interactive, and offers slightly more deck culling. And the culling is a major way to score points in addition to controlling spots on the board. How you build your deck matters more in Tyrants since cards have factions that each focus on an aspect of the game. And sticking to 1 or 2 of those factions helps.

Clank is goofy, quite thematic, has very little player interaction, and has very little deck culling. How you build your deck matters less, but that doesn't mean the best idea is to buy the most expensive card you can. There are built in sub strategies you can go for.

Overall, Tyrants is a deeper, more strategic game. While Clank is lighter but has that "it" quality that is just super fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Legend5555 wrote:
I own both games and both are great in my opinion. It just depends on what you want.

Tyrants is less thematic, more highly interactive, and offers slightly more deck culling. And the culling is a major way to score points in addition to controlling spots on the board. How you build your deck matters more in Tyrants since cards have factions that each focus on an aspect of the game. And sticking to 1 or 2 of those factions helps.

Clank is goofy, quite thematic, has very little player interaction, and has very little deck culling. How you build your deck matters less, but that doesn't mean the best idea is to buy the most expensive card you can. There are built in sub strategies you can go for.

Overall, Tyrants is a deeper, more strategic game. While Clank is lighter but has that "it" quality that is just super fun.

Everything Chris said, but I would argue that Clank! has some strategies of it's own, but definitely more tactical.

In both games, your overall strategy is in your card purchases, but what to do with each turn in Clank! can depend highly on the Dragon track whereas in Tyrants of the Underdark it depends on your opponents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James

Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Play both heavily... both are a lot of fun, and yet very different. My initial response is get BOTH :) If I had to pick one, I think replayability is more for Tyrants.

Tyrants to our group is the surprise hit of the year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gah, every time I think I am set on not buying Tyrants I read another post about how great it is and I want it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tyrants is a great game. But the art and purpleness of it all turn a lot of people off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say both are solid games, and both are good deck builders - but what does each bring to the table?

Tyrants is a hybrid Area Control/DBG, and it definitely goes deeper into the mechanics than Clank!. One of the core scoring mechanics revolves around paring your deck down, making that side of it feel like a more traditional deck building game, and there is a large amount of focus on interacting with what other players have on the board. It's a more strategic game, and has a bit more meat to it.

Clank!, on the other hand, has very little in the way of trashing cards, which means you need to be more careful about what you put in your deck. There are more options which are not as good, but may be the only option you have if you want that type of card. There's a definite focus on fast and streamlined play over the balance and depth you find in Tyrants, which means that Clank! is the more fun game, but Tyrants can definitely get you more stuck in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Cool. Thanks to all. It is interesting to see the deckbuilder mechanism as part of a game, rather than the game itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
London
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know I'm late to the party but I picked this up last night and played it twice, hopefully more today. It's that good!

Anyhow I have played and own Tyrants and on paper thought they sounded like similar games. They absolutely are not, not even close.

If I had to compare it to another game (games actually). I would say it feels like a mix of Dragon Rampage and The Adventurers: The Pyramid of Horus with the mechanics of Ascension: Deckbuilding Game when it comes to the deck building.

Dragon Rampage - You are racing the clock and each other to avoid the dragon killing you

The Adventures - Also trying to escape with the most loot

Ascension - A random selection of changing cards and a always available selection of cards to build your deck from.

Maybe it's just 'cause it's new but I own all three of those and as of now I will without a doubt grab clank! over any of the other 3 games listed. It just pulls the best from all of them and shoves it neatly into it's own thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.