Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Lotze
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I have the Appellation "The Efficient" ("When buying a structure, you may use any type of good to discount it.") and The Carpenter ("Wood provides a discount of 12 gold instead of 8") as my active advisor, may I use a wood to discount a Gun Tower (iron structure, 10 cost) by 12 (so a cost of 0)? I believe the answer is yes, but wanted to ask for a clarification *before* trying to do so in our game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We ruled that this combination lets you get the extra discount for wooden buildings by spending any type of good, but not for non-wooden buildings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Alvarez
China
Tracy
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
spidere wrote:
If I have the Appellation "The Efficient" ("When buying a structure, you may use any type of good to discount it.") and The Carpenter ("Wood provides a discount of 12 gold instead of 8") as my active advisor, may I use a wood to discount a Gun Tower (iron structure, 10 cost) by 12 (so a cost of 0)? I believe the answer is yes, but wanted to ask for a clarification *before* trying to do so in our game.

I had the same combo and played it that wood provides the 12 discount for any building, and all other resources provide an 8 discount for any building. No reason I can think of that it wouldn't work this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Howard
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
heyvince wrote:
spidere wrote:

I had the same combo and played it that wood provides the 12 discount for any building, and all other resources provide an 8 discount for any building. No reason I can think of that it wouldn't work this way.

I'd read it that way to. You're "efficient" so can arrange make anything out of anything, and "the carpenter" is really good at working wood so can make one wood go further
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
heyvince wrote:
spidere wrote:

This seems correct to me as well, as it says "Wood provides a discount of 12" not "Wood(en) structures are discounted by 12".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XDarkAngelX wrote:
heyvince wrote:
spidere wrote:

This seems correct to me as well, as it says "Wood provides a discount of 12" not "Wood(en) structures are discounted by 12".

Agreed.
The Efficient drops the restriction regarding which good can be used to provide a discount for a particular building. The Carpenter increases the discount when using a particular good. Combining the two allows you to use any good for a discount of 8 regardless of building type, and increases the discount to 12 if you choose to use wood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.