Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

SeaFall» Forums » General

Subject: Please learn use the spoiler tag for spoiler threads! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Throknor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just putting "spoilers" in the title is not enough. I try not to extrapolate from myself but I would be amazed if I'm the only person that just uses Next to go through subscriptions without pruning them first when they have a lot to go through.

I don't mean to be bitchy or anything, but tonight I've seen at least three that had "spoilers" in the subject but went right into it. And yes, I read the subject and I'm not intending to make demands. I just hope to raise awareness that there is a tag and some people might end up in a thread before noticing the subject's warning.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Thanks for reading!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend un-subbing from the SeaFall forum until you've played the game in full. I also use the "Next" button to go through subscriptions but (a) a message like this isn't going to convert everyone and (b) people may find endless spoiler tags (especially nested spoiler tags for replies) annoying when the fact there's a Spoiler is announced up-front in the subject (I certainly had someone comment that I didn't need spoiler tags when I asked a rules question in Pandemic: Legacy that had "Spoiler" in the subject line).

Simply speaking, going on forums for a game like this is a risk. I accidentally mildly spoiled something for myself by pressing Quote to reply to a comment from one of the dev team who had put something in a spoiler tag - but when you quote, you obviously get the full text shown between the tags. How much you can mitigate that risk, and how much you're willing to take, is up to you - but I think in this case, the best mitigation is simple unsubscription and manually checking the game page for non-spoiler new threads.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Robb
United States
Calais
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb


Exactly how do I make that "Spoiler" box?

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Howard
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LeonardQuirm wrote:
People may find endless spoiler tags (especially nested spoiler tags for replies) annoying when the fact there's a Spoiler is announced up-front in the subject (I certainly had someone comment that I didn't need spoiler tags when I asked a rules question in Pandemic: Legacy that had "Spoiler" in the subject line).


Pandemic had the advantage of having clearly defined months and for the most part you could use the month in the subject line and make it very clear without giving anything away in the subject line. From what I can see, Seafall isn't quite as clear (short of describing the boxes I guess). Admittedly I'm only 1 game (+ prologue) in so far so haven't "unlocked" much yet.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Howard
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thomasrobb wrote:


Exactly how do I make that "Spoiler" box?


In the message editor, there's a "SP" button over on the right that will add spoiler tags. It's [ o ] [ / o ] though (just remove the spaces)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Throknor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LeonardQuirm wrote:
I'd recommend un-subbing from the SeaFall forum until you've played the game in full. I also use the "Next" button to go through subscriptions but (a) a message like this isn't going to convert everyone and (b) people may find endless spoiler tags (especially nested spoiler tags for replies) annoying when the fact there's a Spoiler is announced up-front in the subject (I certainly had someone comment that I didn't need spoiler tags when I asked a rules question in Pandemic: Legacy that had "Spoiler" in the subject line).

Simply speaking, going on forums for a game like this is a risk. I accidentally mildly spoiled something for myself by pressing Quote to reply to a comment from one of the dev team who had put something in a spoiler tag - but when you quote, you obviously get the full text shown between the tags. How much you can mitigate that risk, and how much you're willing to take, is up to you - but I think in this case, the best mitigation is simple unsubscription and manually checking the game page for non-spoiler new threads.

See, that would take me out from seeing pictures or any announcements.

As long as the main point in the first post is spoiled I think it's a fair balance. Once you're down a couple of posts you can assume anyone reading is comfortable with what was in the original post, so at that point you might only need to worry if it's something else that may be in the future. I completely agree a series of posts with spoilers is a PITA; I'm just talking about the first one for those of us that a) subscribe for general information and b) whip through our subscriptions in a batch.

This game has number boxes people will see in different order. If the first post is like the following it's easy for everyone to decide if they want to keep reading:
Quote:
In box 123 we were wondering
Spoiler (click to reveal)
if it mentions ABC?


Like I said, I'm not the boss of anything. Just a note that if you are going to the trouble of writing "Spoiler" in the subject you might as well use the actual spoiler tags for the first post or two as a further courtesy for those of use going through subscriptions.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Throknor wrote:
LeonardQuirm wrote:
I'd recommend un-subbing from the SeaFall forum until you've played the game in full.


See, that would take me out from seeing pictures or any announcements.


You can also block the Rules forum while subscribing to the other forums.

Pointing out something better that people can do has never been a particularly effective way to get them to do it. Especially on a website with thousands of users most of whom pop in when they want to post something and aren't even reading your requests.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:

You can also block the Rules forum while subscribing to the other forums.


Might also want to block Sessions. I haven't been/don't plan on breaking up my reports with spoiler tags (though I do usually reiterate the spoiler warning IN ALL CAPS before I go into anything).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Throknor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Throknor wrote:
LeonardQuirm wrote:
I'd recommend un-subbing from the SeaFall forum until you've played the game in full.


See, that would take me out from seeing pictures or any announcements.


You can also block the Rules forum while subscribing to the other forums.

Pointing out something better that people can do has never been a particularly effective way to get them to do it. Especially on a website with thousands of users most of whom pop in when they want to post something and aren't even reading your requests.

I don't disagree in the slightest. My entire target is people who put the word 'Spoilers' in the subject to get them to consider adding the spoiler tag anyway. If it influences even one person then it was successful; if it influences none then oh well. I fully admit it is on me that I could check in the subscriptions list first; I just sometimes don't bother if it's been a while and I have > 80 (for example).

As for the forums, there can be basic rules questions that aren't spoiler based, especially base questions that might matter.

There was no harm in making this request - unless I start getting private messages with spoilers the worst net effect is no one changes. Since that's the same if I don't make the request, why not make it?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Robb
United States
Calais
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Practicing spoiler tag
sorry - I want to make sure I can use it correctly

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Just practicing making a Spoiler tag - sorry
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.