Sander Kammeraat
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Gelderland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all,

I haven't received the game yet and I've yet to play it, but I figured I'd make a thread to share some ideas to mod and add to the game. You see, I've been meaning to try designing games again and I figure this is a game that lends itself easily to being expanded upon. That and I'm excited about the game. Hence, I figured it'd be a good (second) first step to designing something myself. Of course, the base game doesn't need expansions right away, I'm sure, but I thought it'd be fun to try and come up with some ideas regardless.

It'll be a very rough first attempt, which I'll expand on as I find time to work it all out. Also- I don’t know anything about making graphics, so it’ll mostly just be the design itself. I’ll leave better looking bits and cards up to those that feel like doing that. I’ll just make rough playable prototypes at first once I’ve tested everything and actually played the game a few times, haha.

One other thing, I thought it’d be nice to make this a community thing as well, so feel free to add, comment, etc. It’d be nice to come up with modules as a community! Who knows, maybe a future expansion will add some of the things we come up with.

So without further ado- some modules:

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

1 Elevated Terrain and New Movement Options

1 Premise:

In a lot of arena based shooters, elevation is an important gameplay element and important to map design. It promotes skill and acrobatics.

2 Requirements:

-A new board that will be able to handle elevation. A 3D board seems a bit too ambitious, but working with multiple smaller boards with elevations could work.
-New elevation rules. Specifically, new line of sight rules (without making it much more complex, as the base game seems to promote LOS that is as simple as possible).
-New movement rules. Giving the players the option to jump and perform acrobatics, as well as determining how players move up or down a level of elevation.
-New weapons that take advantage of elevation.

3 Rules:
Elevation:
1. New spaces on board:

a. Stair space: allows players to walk up one level.
b. Open (empty) space: allows players to jump up one level or jump down one (or several) levels.
c. Might add another space or two. Placeholder.

2. LOS:

a. If in stair space: can see both room of the level the player is in as well as room on level above/below.
b. If next to open/empty space: If on upper level, can see bottom space below it and spaces below opposite to the player (think a cone type vision). If on lower level, can see the spaces above player opposite to him. (Might have to change/add rules if there is more than one elevation level). Basically, if the player can see his opponent, he can shoot.
c. Placeholder if other spaces get added.

Movement:
1. New movement rules:

a. Jumping: allows the player to jump up and grab a ledge. Takes a full move action to do ( >>> ). He ends up in a space adjacent to an empty space. A player can also jump down an empty space. This takes one move ( > ). He ends up at the bottom level space. Grabbing a ledge when falling down multiple levels of elevation is also a full move action ( >>> ). The player then ends up next to the empty space on the level of elevation of choice. Jumping over an empty space costs movement equal to the number of spaces that have to be jumped, including the space the player lands on.
b. Moving into a stairs space doesn’t cost an extra move. To keep things simple.
c. There is falling damage. 1 damage per level dropped.
d. Combat tackle: allows a player to slam into another player for one damage and push them one space. Have to move at least two spaces ( >> ) and do a shooting action to perform the tackle.
e. Combat disarm: allows a player to force enemy player to drop last used weapon. Takes a full grab action and player needs to be in same space as enemy player. However, performing two full grab actions in the same space as an enemy player means you can grab the enemy player’s weapon instead (if desired).
f. Placeholder for any other movement rules. Wall jumping/running? Sprinting?

Weapons:
1. New weapon additions:

a. Gravity Bomb: does extra damage when thrown down a level.
b. Grappling Hook: can pull active player up to the level of hit enemy player or pull enemy player to space of active player.
c. Pitfall: create temporary empty space. Enemy player drops a level and takes falling damage.
d. Placeholder.

4 Pros and cons:

+Elevation adds ways to both hide better and also new LOS to consider.
+New movement options like jumping are thematic and fun, and allow players to better move with elevation in mind. Combat movement options allow for more tactical options. Combat movement could also be added to the base game separately. I might make a separate movement module if there is enough material for it later on.

-Elevation and movement options both add complexity. There is a danger it will slow the game down too much if too much is added/if it’s too complex.
-Both elevation and movement options should add enough gameplay elements to warrant their inclusion.

5 Current To-Do List:

-Make prototype board.
-Finalize rules.
-Test out new movement rules and elevation rules.

6 Design history:

24/10/2016: added the elevated terrain and movement module and wrote the basic idea down.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

2 Capture The Flag

1 Premise:

I think this has already been requested on the forums. It could be a really fun game mode to play in teams. It does require more players probably and also some tweaks to the game here and there. But perhaps I can also make a variant on capture the flag that fits 4-5 players. I’ll see.

2 Requirements:

-Rules for 3v3 Capture the Flag.
-Rules for Capture the Flag with 4-5 players.
-Tokens.
-New boards suited for Capture the Flag.

3 Rules:

Capture the Flag (3v3):
1. Rules:

a. Players form two teams of 3 each.
b. Players each have a base where the flag needs to be dropped off.
c. After a set amount of points, the team that reaches that amount of points first, wins.
d. The flag can be grabbed using the grab action.
e. While holding the flag, a player can’t use a move action twice or shoot.
f. A player holding the flag can drop the flag using a grab action.
g. If a player takes damage or dies while holding the flag, he drops the flag.
h. Friendly players can take a block action to get in the way of the next enemy shot (only one shot) and take the hit if they are in the same space as the flag carrier or in between the flag carrier and the enemy player.
i. A friendly player can take the flag from another friendly player holding the flag using a grab action.
j. The flag resets to the place it spawns after a team scores.

Capture the Flag (4-5 Player):
1. Rules:

a. Placeholder.

4 Pros and cons:

+It allows team play.
+It promotes a different style of gameplay.

-As stated, special maps are needed for this game mode, as well as new players if played in its classic format.

5 Current To-Do List:

-Make tokens.
-Finalize rules.

6 Design history:

24/10/2016: added the rough draft of the rules for 3v3.

3 Expanded Armory.

1 Premise:

I've always loved different types of weapons in games. I feel there are quite a few things that can be added to the game, weapon- and ammo-wise. Think modular weapons, different ammo types, disposable weapons, etc.

2 Requirements:

-Making cards for the weapons, ammo types, weapon modules, etc.
-Making a new sheet with all the new weapons, weapon modules, ammo types.
-Writing the rules for each new weapon, ammo type, weapon module, etc.
-Testing out

3 Rules:

Disposable Weapons:
1. Rules:

a. Each disposable weapon has a number of uses before it has to be discarded. Examples: grenade (1 use), laser rifle (x uses), etc.

2. Weapons:

a. Grenade: affects everyone in the room its thrown in.
b. Flashbang: affected players can’t shoot turn they are affected or can’t use secondary functions of weapons.
c. Smoke Grenade: can’t shoot within or through spaces covered by smoke grenade.
d. Disposable Gun: after firing, the gun gets thrown like a grenade, further doing damage.
e. Placeholder.

Weapon Modules:
1. Rules:

a. Players can add a weapon module to a (specific?) weapon to boost certain things like damage, add an effect, etc.

2. Weapon Modules:

a. Ammo Efficiency: weapon costs one less ammo cube to fire.
b. Firepower: weapon does one more damage to primary target.
c. Drain Ammo: enemy player has to discard one ammo cube when hit.
d. Pull Ammo: pull one ammo cube from ammo token in the room.
e. Push: pushes hit player one space away from player.
f. Switch Position: when enemy player gets hit, player and enemy player switch places.
g. Turret: turns weapon into a turret that has 1 hit point.
h. Charge: takes two full actions to fire, but does two extra damage total.
i. Placeholder.

Ammo Types:
1. Rules:

a. Each ammo type modifies the weapon that uses the ammo type. For example, fire ammo adds burning (1 damage each turn until enemy player moves or does a grab action to get rid of it).
b. Ammo has to be picked up, but certain ammo cubes now have special ammo.

2. Ammo Type:

a. Fire: does 1 damage each time it’s the affected player’s turn, until he/she performs a grab or move action to get rid of it.
b. Ice: affected player loses one ( > ) for three turns.
c. Electricity: affected player loses one action for one turn.
d. Explosive: players in the same place or next to affected player take one damage.
e. Corrosive: affected players last used weapon gets discarded.
f. Placeholder

4 Pros and cons:

+New weapons means new things to consider.
+Modules allow players to differentiate from each other.
+Ammo types allow players to modify how they use certain weapons or how they engage each other.

-Throwing in ammo types, weapon modules and the new weapons at once might be overwhelming.
-It’s harder to balance ammo types and weapon modules versus just making a new weapon.

5 Current To-Do List:

-Make prototype cards.
-Make new weapon sheet.
-Finalize rules.
-Check balance of new additions.

6 Design history:

24/10/2016: added module, added some weapon ideas and rules.

4 Targeting, Stealth and Cover

1 Premise:

In certain games you can target certain body parts and have different effects based on that. Cover can also be interesting, like how its implemented in third-person shooters. Stealth could be really cool to add as well, to make cover more interesting and to have a really different playstyle.

2 Requirements:

-New rules for cover and targeting.
-New tokens.

3 Rules:

Cover:
1. Rules:

a. When a player dies, place a corpse token. When players are behind this token or in the same space, ignore one damage.
b. New space: low wall. This space allows players to gain cover. Being behind a wall ignores one damage. Players can spend one move ( > ) extra to move over the wall.
c. New action: crouch/stand. When crouched behind a wall, players can’t shoot at you, unless aiming. While crouched, players move one less ( > ) until they perform the stand action.
d. Placeholder.

Stealth:
1. Rules:

a. Will have to give this more thought if it’s fun/fits within the framework of Adrenaline.

Targeting:
1. Rules:

a. Targeting is a new action. It will allow the player to perform several new targeted shots. A player has to do a targeting action (or multiple) and then do a shooting action.

2. Types of targeting:

a. Aiming: allows a player to shoot a crouched player behind a low wall.
b. Headshot: does triple damage, but requires two targeting actions and a shooting action (so in effect two turns) and LOS to target both turns.
c. Leg Shot: enemy player can’t move the turn he’s shot.
d. Hand Shot: enemy player drops last used weapon.
e. Suppressive Fire: enemies that move in the same room or within LOS get shot by weapon. Takes two targeting actions.
f. Placeholder.

4 Pros and cons:

+Cover adds a more third-person cover shooter vibe to the game. It promotes defense and slower paced gameplay.
+Stealth could be a good addition to the cover system, but would radically change the game. Hence, it would need a proper treatment if added.
+Targeting is something that gives more options on how to approach enemy players and makes positioning and cover more important.

-Especially stealth doesn’t fit the game as-is, because it’s more geared toward arena shooters. Also, the maps are too small to promote stealth gameplay as well.
-Cover and targeting will add complexity and might slow the game down too much.

5 Current To-Do List:

-Finalize rules.
-Test cover system and targeting.
-Come up with ideas for stealth-based gameplay.
-Make tokens and boards.

6 Design history:

24/10/2016: added module, added some rules.

5 Variable Player Powers and Upgrades

1 Premise:

You've got these cool minis, but they're all the same. Of course as far as old-school FPS's go, characters are all the same, stats and power-wise. But it can be fun to mix in a little diversity and make your character your own. Hence, player powers and upgrades.

2 Requirements:

-Cards for players with powers on it, cards with upgrades.
-Sheet with rules.

3 Rules:

Player Powers:
1. Rules:

a. Each character has 2 powers they can use. 1 power that can only be used once per game (Carnage Power) and 1 that can be used more often (Fury Power).
b. D-STRUCT-0R: Carnage Power (Electr0de B0mb): can self-destruct, dealing 3 damage to everyone in the room. Fury Power (B0mberman): can take 1 damage to make next attack explosive, next attack will do one damage to everyone in the same space or adjacent. (Alt. fury: can take 1 damage to prime ammo token, dealing 3 damage to those who grab it.)
c. Banshee: Carnage Power (Terror From Above): the player chooses a color in secret at the start of each other player's turn this round. When that player moves into or is in the room with that color, Banshee grabs that player from the ceiling doing three damage. Place Banshee in the same spot as the other player that was grabbed. Fury Power (Slither): Banshee gets to move one space after being hit. (Alt. fury: Banshee can move enemy 1 space away after doing damage.)
d. Dozer: Carnage Power (Bulldozer): Make a shotgun attack after each movement ( > ) this turn. Fury Power (DOOM): when Dozer only has 1, 2 or 3 health left, his attacks do +1 damage. (Alt. fury: when he or another player dies in the same room he gets to make a free attack.)
e. Sprog: Carnage Power (Metal Whip): can use tail to hit all adjacent enemies or enemies in the same space. They get pushed as far away from Sprog as possible and take a damage each, each player that is hit is stunned and has to forfeit one action their upcoming turn. Fury Power (Croc Claw): when Sprog makes a melee attack, he does +1 damage against each enemy in the same space as him. (Alt. fury: he doesn't have to pay for the secondary ammo cost for melee weapons.)
f. Violet: Carnage Power (GUNS GUNS GUNS): Violet gets to fire all carried ranged weapons at once (without using secondary abilities) without having to pay ammo. Fury Power (Gun Nut): Violet can choose to draw a random weapon from the deck instead of the 3 available weapons. (Alt. fury: she gains one extra ammo cube when receiving ammo, but she can't use melee weapons.)

Upgrades:
1. Rules:

a. Upgrades allow players to modify their character mid-game. Each player can have 1 equipment upgrade, 1 player upgrade and 1 general upgrade. They are drawn after getting a kill shot.
b. An equipment upgrade is an upgrade that boosts a weapon or is a piece of gear that enhances the player.
c. A player upgrade gives the player a bonus to their fury power.
d. A general upgrade is a small ability or bonus.

2. Equipment Upgrades:

a. Battle Armor: ignore the first point of damage per attack.
b. Ammo Efficiency Chip: spend one less ammo when using the weapon its added to.
c. Teleswap Badge: swap places with another player as an action.
d. Placeholder.

3. Player Upgrades:

a. D-STRUCT-0R: gets to make attacks explosive without taking damage.
b. Banshee: moves 2 spaces when damaged.
c. Sprog: does +2 damage in melee.
d. Dozer: does +2 damage when on low health (1,2 or 3).
e. Violet: gets to choose a gun from the deck when drawing weapons.

4. General Upgrades:

a. Decoy: takes hit instead of player if in the same room.
b. Proximity Mine: when placed, if other player enters the room it was placed, that player and any others in that room take 3 damage.
c. Med-Kit: remove 2 points of damage.
d. Large Med-Kit: remove 4 points of damage.
e. Placeholder.

4 Pros and cons:

+Helps differentiate the different players from each other.
+Fun to play with different strategies and get different upgrades.

-Makes the game more complex.
-Can be hard to balance.

5 Current To-Do List:

-Finalize rules.
-Make player cards.
-Make upgrade cards.

6 Design history:

24/10/2016: added module, wrote rules.

6 Placeholder

1 Premise:
2 Requirements:
3 Rules:
4 Pros and cons:
5 Current To-Do List:
6 Design history:

Please note that these modules are WIP and actual prototypes of cards, boards and more, have to be made. This is more a first stage of testing out some ideas for expanding the game. I'm sure once I've gotten a chance to play the game, I'll be able to expand the modules better. For now it’s mainly just concepts and ideas.

Feel free to comment, give advice, add to what I wrote down, etc.

Have a nice day,

Sander

Latest edit:
-Added player powers and upgrades module. (24/10/2016)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ziemek
Poland
Poznań
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting... Thread subscribed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cook
United States
Spanaway
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool stuff. I don't know how interested you are in making some bot AI cards, but I plan on developing some of my ideas for that once I get the game and would love as much input as I can get. I posted another thread on here about my ideas a few weeks back. Once I get the game and get some play time I will definitely be trying some of these and trying to give you some feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the sound of all the additions that don't touch the existing sight rules. Complex LOS rules are the death of a fast-flowing game like this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sander Kammeraat
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Gelderland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarnop wrote:
I like the sound of all the additions that don't touch the existing sight rules. Complex LOS rules are the death of a fast-flowing game like this

I agree. When testing the new LOS rules, I'll see if they need streamlining or if parts need to be cut in order to facilitate fast play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sander Kammeraat
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Gelderland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sponkey21 wrote:
Cool stuff. I don't know how interested you are in making some bot AI cards, but I plan on developing some of my ideas for that once I get the game and would love as much input as I can get. I posted another thread on here about my ideas a few weeks back. Once I get the game and get some play time I will definitely be trying some of these and trying to give you some feedback.

At the moment I haven't given AI bot cards much thought, but I will give it some thought after fine-tuning a few modules. Feel free to share your own thoughts and ideas. I can test them out as well. Thanks for wanting to give some feedback down the line!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Simpson
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Control Points would be another good one!

Turn Based: Each player starts with their own controlled area. Once per turn, if the player has sole control of a point they put a cube. 3 turns/cubes gives control of the area. Other players have to go for 2 turns to make the area neutral again and if they are successful, they get 1 cube in their color. Holding 3 areas? at once wins

A similar idea, team based, would be how Team Fortress 2 has offense going down the path with the mine cart, grabbing different control points along the way. Obviously this would be without the cart, but they have x number of rounds to get through the course of control points to win, if they don't get them all the defenders win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.