Hide
10 Posts

Mystic Vale» Forums » General

Subject: Advancement cards in the face-down pile are visible... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kuro Kokon
msg tools
I just watched a review video and noticed that you can see several cards in each face-down draw pile since the cards are translucent.
Isn't that a problem? I wonder why they didn't provide with tuck boxes or something to hide the draw pile.
Myabe I'm missing something since the reviewer didn't talk about it at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I used other cards to cover the next ones available in the market and it didn't really change something in our game.

But, to be honest, the fact that I can see the upcoming advancement card sometimes change my strategy. A Deadwood Harvester is coming for my opponent? Wait... Actually, ,scratch that, I'm not buying this, I'll buy a Fertile Soil instead.

So yeah, it is a problem if you pay attention to it. You could always cover them with the player's aids available in this very box. This isn't a show stopper. But it's one of the many problems the card crafting system creates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never really been a problem for us, yes you can see what's coming but it adds another fun element of strategy to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvador C. Majoral
Andorra
Argentona, Barcelona
flag msg tools
Kuro Kokon wrote:
I just watched a review video and noticed that you can see several cards in each face-down draw pile since the cards are translucent.
Isn't that a problem? I wonder why they didn't provide with tuck boxes or something to hide the draw pile.

So what? You could even play with the cards face up. What's the problem?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
We have started to play that we draw the next card from the bottom. Problem solved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuro Kokon
msg tools
salva wrote:
Kuro Kokon wrote:

A strategy game having ambiguous rules is a problem. I don't mind ambiguous rules in silly party games though.

If it's officially legal to figure out what's coming by looking at vague layered images, then the rules should make sure that everyone have easy access to the information to make the game fair.
I don't think it's an intended element of the game and I'm pretty sure they would hide the draw pile if they would make a digital version of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Pasmeny
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Play with people that don't cheat....

meeplemeeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Redd
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bpasmeny wrote:
Play with people that don't cheat....

Umm... yeah. About that. That's what they're trying to find out...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Pasmeny
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty simple to just:

1 - Play with people that don't stare at the draw pile.

2 - Cut a sheet of colored paper to cover the draw pile.

3 - Draw from the bottom of the pile.

meeplemeeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jones
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kuro Kokon wrote:
salva wrote:
Kuro Kokon wrote:

A strategy game having ambiguous rules is a problem. I don't mind ambiguous rules in silly party games though.

If it's officially legal to figure out what's coming by looking at vague layered images, then the rules should make sure that everyone have easy access to the information to make the game fair.
I don't think it's an intended element of the game and I'm pretty sure they would hide the draw pile if they would make a digital version of the game.

I will agree with others here, drawing from the bottom of the stack is the easiest and most elegant solution.

I think the larger issue in this game comes with shuffling a small draw deck. It is trivially easy to tell the difference between a single unimproved card and a thick maxed out card. When shuffling a small stack of say 5-6 cards (or even less), how exactly do you shuffle fairly? It's not that a player is trying to cheat, it is almost impossible to randomly shuffle these cards. Which means the old fix, pass the cards to your neighbor to shuffle, doesn't really work either.

And yes, before someone asks, this has come up in multiple games I have played including my first learning game with an AEG rep. He didn't really have a good suggestion for a fix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.