Popular Tags: [View All]
Michele C
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

Yesterday I played this nice game for the first time and, after reading the rules (in all the languages available) I am still confused about the timing of buying/selling stuff during the "performing actions" step.

Am I allowed to sell and buy items before playing each and every card or am I allowed to do so only before playing the first card of the round?

I'm asking because it happened that a player was buying food, converting it to metal and selling the metal again to have the money to buy food (and so on). Although this procedure didn't produce any net income, the player could score 3 points each time he was playing the card to transform the food. Since he did it 4 times, he could score 12 points in that round.
On the other hand, if you are allowed to sell/buy only at the beginning of the phase, he could only score 3 points (since he didn't have additional food to convert).

How did you interpret this rule?
Thank you for your answers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Chamberlain
England
Crawley
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mb
My understanding as stated in the rules is that you buy and/or sell 1 or more resources BEFORE resolving an action or building. So you could sell a resource in order to gain gold which would enable you to buy a resource you couldn't gain otherwise. But you only use each card once! You couldn't for example use the Brewery to transform 4 wheat to 4 beer. 1 card is 1 use at time of playing not multiple use. The game would be far too easy this way. Just keep in mind that you can do this before each of the cards you could play from your hand which can result in some long chains of selling and buying. Hope this helps. It's a good little filler game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele C
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
... Just keep in mind that you can do this before each of the cards you could play from your hand which can result in some long chains of selling and buying.

Thank you! I think this answers my question!

So you are allowed to sell/buy goods, play a card and then sell/buy goods again before playing the next card this turn.
At first I thought that you were allowed to sell/buy goods only before playing your first card in the turn (this way you should plan ahead what you will need during the round).

Regarding the use of the cards, we played it correctly: each card can be used only once. But if you have, for example, 5 copied of the same card in your hand (let's say 5 copies of food->metal) you then should be able to:
1- buy food
2- convert food in metal with your first card (scoring 3 points)
3- sell the just produced metal and buy new food
4- play your second card to convert food in metal (scoring other 3 points)
etc..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Me Me
England
Frome
Somerset
flag msg tools
Easy Gamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if you have your sequence quite correct:

Reveal card 1- buy food; Resolution: convert it to metal and score 3 VP
Reveal card 2 - sell the just produced metal and buy new food. Resolution: convert food to metal etc.

It's just a more exact interpretation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.