Subject: Towing onto oil rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan Cole
United Kingdom
Cottenham
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
I haven't seen this question asked/answered so: when I tow something (mech/bomb) onto an oil slick, my mech slides to the other side (or until it hits something immoveable). Does the towed object remain attached or is it left behind?

Thanks.

Wonderful game BTW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
bryancole1 wrote:
I haven't seen this question asked/answered so: when I tow something (mech/bomb) onto an oil slick, my mech slides to the other side (or until it hits something immoveable). Does the towed object remain attached or is it left behind?

Thanks.

Wonderful game BTW.

I've seen in answered a few times. It follows behind you until you stop!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thus, the towed Mech/Bomb will end its movement in the last Oil Slick space the towing Mech moved through.

It is not mentioned in the initial printing of the rules, although it is mentioned in the Gameplay Questions of the FAQ on the MvM website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
César Mendes
Portugal
Santarem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
Thus, the towed Mech/Bomb will end its movement in the last Oil Slick space the towing Mech moved through.

It is not mentioned in the initial printing of the rules, although it is mentioned in the Gameplay Questions of the FAQ on the MvM website.

Woulnd't make more sense that the Mech/Bomb that being towed to push the one that is towing since it sliding the oil anyway?

So the Mech/Bomb would stop its movement on the first space after the oil slick space?

It would make more sense to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lavery
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Balrogas wrote:

Woulnd't make more sense that the Mech/Bomb that being towed to push the one that is towing since it sliding the oil anyway?

So the Mech/Bomb would stop its movement on the first space after the oil slick space?

I agree with you; that's how it would work if the Mech or Bomb were pushed and having a universal rule for movement on oil slick is more intuitive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That method leads to madness in other situations. For example, a Mech is somehow stopped on an Oil Slick (let's say due to being blocked by other Mechs lined up against an edge) There is a Mech to its left. It moves forward two spaces and decides to tow.

What happens to the towed Mech? Does it slide to the right as that's its direction of movement when it enters the Oil Slick? Does it slide forward as that's the direction the towing Mech is going?

The given rules are easy to follow and consistent. You simply move the towing Mech and then move the towed Mech to the last space exited by the towing Mech. You don't have to figure out which way towed Mechs will slide or whatever. They just go there.

Also, the alternative where the towing Mech pushes things in front of it results in a free tow, as the towing Mech will end up where it would be if it hadn't towed. That would feel wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H.M. Woggle-Bug, T.E.
msg tools
Royal College of Arts and Athletic perfection
badge
Inventor of Knowledge Pills
mbmbmbmbmb
Balrogas wrote:

I don't know why, but this reminds me of the story of Baron Munchhausen pulling himself out of a pool by his own hairs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
César Mendes
Portugal
Santarem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
That method leads to madness in other situations. For example, a Mech is somehow stopped on an Oil Slick (let's say due to being blocked by other Mechs lined up against an edge) There is a Mech to its left. It moves forward two spaces and decides to tow.

What happens to the towed Mech? Does it slide to the right as that's its direction of movement when it enters the Oil Slick? Does it slide forward as that's the direction the towing Mech is going?

The given rules are easy to follow and consistent. You simply move the towing Mech and then move the towed Mech to the last space exited by the towing Mech. You don't have to figure out which way towed Mechs will slide or whatever. They just go there.

Also, the alternative where the towing Mech pushes things in front of it results in a free tow, as the towing Mech will end up where it would be if it hadn't towed. That would feel wrong.

I have to admit that I lost your line of thought on this example even after reading it 3x

But from what I understood the Mech would move in the direction it was being towed since that is the direction of movement it was following (no matter the direction it was facing).

I think it is pretty simple the rule that any object that moves into an Oil Slick must move in the direction of that movement to the next non-Oil Slick space pushing any other object in front of it, with the exception of not being possible, like for example as you said when having another object in front of it that is in front of an edge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've made pictures to show what I meant (although mirrored from my text example).

Here is the situation:

The blue Mech has to move 2 spaces forward and wants to move in the direction shown while towing the red Mech.

According to the FAQ, this is the result of that towing:

That's very easy to resolve.

Now, for your alternate method, I don't know which of these would be the result:

I would guess the latter fits your description more, but I'm not sure. In any case, it's a little absurd and there are probably other weird cases like this. I think the rule from the FAQ (which will be in the rules eventually) is much easier to implement and doesn't lead to unknown circumstances.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Stockton
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmb
Just played the first mission on Saturday, and we played it so that anytime a mech or bomb enters the oil it slides in the direction it entered the oil. So if you towed a mech using your example, our board would end up like your last example. Which feels a little more fun and chaotic than having the towed mech/bomb ignore the oil and just tag along.

We'll probably keep it house ruled this way since it's not that complicated.

I do agree that towed mechs/objects don't push the mech doing the towing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vaporwolf wrote:
I do agree that towed mechs/objects don't push the mech doing the towing.

That seems contradictory to your house rule. If the towed Mech is considered to be sliding through the oil, it would push the towing Mech. In my pictures, this would be the case if the Red mech were down from the Blue Mech instead of to the right.

That's why the official rule works so well. Just ignore Oil for the towed Mech. It ends up in the towing Mech's last space, wherever that may be. It's like the towing Mech lifts the other Mech off the ground for its movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We thematically explained it as a chain between our mechs.
So when towing it swings the mech to the space we just left but it prevents the towed mech from moving away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
César Mendes
Portugal
Santarem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually the picture I would choose is the first one, because the blue mech is still towing the red one when it moves from the last Oil space to the non-Oil space due to the extra movement of the Oil.

My opinion is that the red mech doesn't stop just because the blue mech stops since the Oil makes it continue to move until it hits the blue mech pushing it forward.

If we think in two cars on ice, when the one in front (that is towing) stops the one being still slides until it hit the car in front. What happen when the back car hits the front car is that the front car moves a little forward. I this Oil movement has the same thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Balrogas wrote:
Actually the picture I would choose is the first one, because the blue mech is still towing the red one when it moves from the last Oil space to the non-Oil space due to the extra movement of the Oil.

OK, so what if the space in front of the blue Mech were not Oil, but instead Grass. Would the red Mech move left or up or not at all? I still can't tell which you intend given your description of your house rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
César Mendes
Portugal
Santarem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
Balrogas wrote:

OK, so what if the space in front of the blue Mech were not Oil, but instead Grass. Would the red Mech move left or up or not at all? I still can't tell which you intend given your description of your house rule.

That is a more tricky one

I would consider either solution (image).

But to simplify I would consider then the first image since the blue Mech has stoped the Red Mech will continue in the direction he was going (to the left) until it reaches a grass space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.