6 Posts

Escape from Colditz» Forums » General

Subject: Colditz rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark R
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Has anyone played Escape from Colditz before? I've heard it's a must have and a classic game. Does anyone know how long it is? Thinking about getting it but want to check if it's a long game as we want a game that takes about the same amount of time as Ticket to Ride.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
Ireland
Derry
flag msg tools
EZ FLASH 3 FTW
mbmbmbmbmb
You set the time of the game yourself before you start playing. 1 hour is a general minimum. Most people play between 1 and 3 hours. The new 2016 version states in the rules "Before you begin, decide together how many rounds you wish to play, and place the round counter on that number. We recommend 50 rounds for new players, and 40 rounds or fewer for more experienced players – the fewer rounds you play, the more unlikely escape will be. "

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Simcoe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You would most likely get a better response by posting in the actual game forum - Escape from Colditz

I remember playing this a lot as a kid and really enjoyed it. I wouldn't necessarily call it a classic, but it was certainly great for its time.

As for playing time it takes, from what I remember, and the time listed on the game page it usually takes about 3 hours, which is a lot longer than Ticket to Ride.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, played the original, it's OK but not for that price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Borgelin
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shorten the playing time by gifting an escape kit to all players prior to play, that way you save about half the time and get straight into the fun bit. Players still have to collect the escape equipment they need like passes, rope, cutters, keys etc just not all of the boring stuff. It means escapes can start to happen quickly so the German player will have to be super vigilant early doors or else he will lose control of the situation rapidly! Always used to play it this way with the old version and it certainly got things going quickly. Downside is that as each player will already hold an escape kit they will also be automatically eligible for arrest and confinement, so the escapers can't just wander about without a care because the Germans can get at them straight away!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thread moved to Escape from Colditz

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.