$15.00
$20.00
Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
32 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Conan» Forums » Rules

Subject: [Question] Teleport: unable to teleport because of "blocking" enemy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel K
msg tools
Hello!

Do you can teleport away from dudes with the blocking skill?

Both rules talks about "move" so rules as written teleport is useless in this case.

Because of bad translation i'm here to ask for your guidance.
So what do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Croquet
France
flag msg tools
mb
Yes you can teleport away from enemies with the blocking skill. It is indeed poorly written and should not have been labeled as a move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel K
msg tools
because of...?

(wrong translation?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Croquet
France
flag msg tools
mb
I don't remember where I saw it but there was indeed an official ruling for that. I'll try to find it again, but don't promise anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Italy
Venice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Shoum wrote:
I don't remember where I saw it but there was indeed an official ruling for that. I'll try to find it again, but don't promise anything.

I don't remember anything on the rulebook, but please share if you find a reference, it'll be super useful.

The Teleportation card has also an omitted part in english which in French sounds like: this movement is not affected by any obstacle and you don't need to have LOS to the destination area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Croquet
France
flag msg tools
mb
kitanota wrote:
Shoum wrote:

I don't remember anything on the rulebook, but please share if you find a reference, it'll be super useful.

The Teleportation card has also an omitted part in english which in French sounds like: this movement is not affected by any obstacle and you don't need to have LOS to the destination area.

Can you copy/paste the text of the french version card please?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For info, there are already several threads on the subject.

And the english card is not missing anything at all.
Just apply what is it written and only that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Italy
Venice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sure, here:

Teleportation:

English version:
Quote:
Assign a number of gems from your Reserve zone to this card. For each gem assigned, move your model to adjacent space.

French version:
Quote:
Pour toute gemme dépensée après avoir payé le coût du sort, le lanceur peut se déplacer d'un zone. Ce mouvement n'est affecté par aucun obstacle. Le lanceur n'a pas besoin d'avoir une ligne de vue avec sa destination.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Italy
Venice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
7Tigers wrote:

Hey look, that's my photo taken from an italian boardgame forum

not missing anything at all? Sure? I mean, movement not affected by obstacle and no need of LOS seem quite important to me (unless you want to presume, but in that case you could also presume the other way around).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Croquet
France
flag msg tools
mb
Ok, so the french version is a bit ambiguous (what are obstacles?) and the english version is very ambiguous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz Derphausen
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Now wouldn't it be sweet if you could use 2 gems to teleport 2 models one area, yourself and one that you are holding/grabbing? Imagine the possibilities!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kitanota wrote:
7Tigers wrote:

Hey look, that's my photo taken from an italian boardgame forum

not missing anything at all? Sure? I mean, movement not affected by obstacle and no need of LOS seem quite important to me (unless you want to presume, but in that case you could also presume the other way around).

FWIW, teleport not being blocked by walls and such is implicit in the word "adjacent." See the Wall Wrecker skill, where "adjacent" clearly refers to a space which is blocked by a wall. Thus "adjacent" in Teleport must also ignore walls. Since walls explicitly block LOS, yet travel is to an "adjacent" space (ignoring walls), it is implicit that LOS is not a factor.

i.e. the English edition trimmed the unnecessary parts of the text .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Croquet
France
flag msg tools
mb
Derphausen wrote:
Now wouldn't it be sweet if you could use 2 gems to teleport 2 models one area, yourself and one that you are holding/grabbing? Imagine the possibilities!

I assume you are refering to the pictish village scenario with the princess to save. Hadrathus can't teleport away with her because he loses his ability to cast spells at 5 or more weight (not sure about the english term) and the princess weighs 6.
However he can teleport away with Zogar-Sag's head (it only weighs 2).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel K
msg tools
Ok, so if both rulesets reffers to "movement" than imho teleport is forbidden if the enemy in the same space have "blocking"!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zeitgeyst wrote:
Ok, so if both rulesets reffers to "movement" than imho teleport is forbidden if the enemy in the same space have "blocking"!

Be that as it may, other threads have clarified that teleportation is not affected by Blocking.

Consider: if walls don't block it (they don't), how is some big menacing figure going to block it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loig Roumois
Switzerland
Baden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well the much more important difference is, that in the french version, every gem you assign AFTER having paid for the spell's activation let's you teleport one space. Whereas in the english (strict) version. you pay X gems and move X spaces (vs. paying 1+X to move X)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Loig wrote:
well the much more important difference is, that in the french version, every gem you assign AFTER having paid for the spell's activation let's you teleport one space. Whereas in the english (strict) version. you pay X gems and move X spaces (vs. paying 1+X to move X)

Sidebar: that wording also implies that if a teleporter passes through 3 huts in one casting of Teleport, that he can inspect each of them for the Princess in the first Pict scenario. It was clarified in another thread that he doesn't "stop" until the final destination of the teleport, so he can't inspect each one along the way.

Edit: English does require that you pay 1+X, but the 1 is implicit in the spell cost (top/left of the card). You don't resolve the text until you pay the cost. i missed that the first 2 times i played it because i was just reading the text, not looking at the card's symbols.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Anonymous
Germany
flag msg tools
sgbeal wrote:
Loig wrote:

Sidebar: that wording also implies that if a teleporter passes through 3 huts in one casting of Teleport, that he can inspect each of them for the Princess in the first Pict scenario. It was clarified in another thread that he doesn't "stop" until the final destination of the teleport, so he can't inspect each one along the way.

Edit: English does require that you pay 1+X, but the 1 is implicit in the spell cost (top/left of the card). You don't resolve the text until you pay the cost. i missed that the first 2 times i played it because i was just reading the text, not looking at the card's symbols.

Wow, so the pict village scenario gets even more random and brutal for the heroes. No more spying in 3 huts in one round. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Abbath wrote:
sgbeal wrote:

Wow, so the pict village scenario gets even more random and brutal for the heroes. No more spying in 3 huts in one round. cry

You can, but you have to cast Teleport 3 times (which costs more gems). What i always do with Haddy is have him rest on his first turn and then teleport to as many huts as he can on his 2nd. If he can hit 3 huts, that's more than 1/3rd of the hidden spaces covered in a single turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Shoum wrote:
It is indeed poorly written

Just one more...yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Italy
Venice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:

Then why specify that part of text in the French version? So when a scenario will give us the Inversion spell, in the future, i'll have to assume implicity that i need LOS to exchange position with another character, because the English edition trimmed that unnecessary part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kitanota wrote:
sgbeal wrote:

Then why specify that part of text in the French version? So when a scenario will give us the Inversion spell, in the future, i'll have to assume implicity that i need LOS to exchange position with another character, because the English edition trimmed that unnecessary part.

A French mathematician once told me that French text is, on average, 17 percent longer than English. Maybe Monolith did it to keep that average going .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Italy
Venice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
kitanota wrote:
sgbeal wrote:

A French mathematician once told me that French text is, on average, 17 percent longer than English. Maybe Monolith did it to keep that average going .

Fair enough
I just wanted to point the lack of consequential logic in the translation. Anyway, we'll have soon a revised edition of the rulebooks, let's just hope they'll also fix some misinterpretations in the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For info, english spell card from the PNP was more complete:

=> movement by spell cannot be affected in any way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loig Roumois
Switzerland
Baden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
indeed that is so much better!!!!!! WTH happened? did they send the wrong files to the printer? did they print wip files and used the final ones in the PnP? lol that is soooo bad!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.