Subject: This vs. Mansions of Madness rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rune Ørum
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
mbmb
On the face of it this game looks very very close to Mansions of Madness.

Even the tiles have the same layout and structure. So do the cards.

Are there any key differences between these two games? Beside the fact that one of them is underwater and has no app?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loig Roumois
Switzerland
Baden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
this is more combat oriented and compared to MoM is less card driven (for combat)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bennett
United Kingdom
Par
Cornwall
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll still be able to play this in 10 years time!
I'm joking of course.
I would say the lack of an app driven aspect presents an entirely different dynamic though and that will be important to people. Everyone leaning over to look at the small screen or passing the tablet around is a bit annoying at times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
world eater
msg tools
ya, I do not get the app integration trend.

I'm sure I'm biased. I have worked in the software/hardware tech industry for my whole career (25 years and counting) and the last thing I want when I come home from staring at screens all day is to stare at another screen to play a board game.

The reason I love board games is that they are social, engaging, fun, and dont require electronics!

How dumb would it be to have a shelf full of games you cant play when the power goes out / during the zombie apocalypse???

w/e. I hope designers stop. glad this game has no app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The best ever "app" for a game was in the old MB game, Dark Tower, in which a plastic electronic tower controlled parts of the game. Of course, it was also prone to breaking down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xavierjackson wrote:
On the face of it this game looks very very close to Mansions of Madness.

Even the tiles have the same layout and structure. So do the cards.

Are there any key differences between these two games? Beside the fact that one of them is underwater and has no app?

Yes.

Mansions of Madness is highly thematic game about mystery and exploring. Your investigators aren't fighting machines, they are normal folk. When you start the scenario, you don't know what you must do to complete the scenario. You only have a couple of tiles from the house laid out. You have to explore the house in order uncover the room tiles. Every mission these tiles will be different according to the randomization the app provides. You will have to investigate items by searching, which may provide puzzles (in app) that you must solve, and/or items and equipment that will help you along the way to achieve your objective. You will encounter monsters but they aren't the main focus.

Deep Madness on the other hand has the map totally laid out before you start. Your characters are fighters. From what I gather, you already know what your objectives are and most of the game will be about fighting monsters in order to achieve those objectives. There is a water theme but in game terms, you have a timer on how many actions you can perform in a submerged room before you must leave. Deep Madness is a tactical miniatures game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rune Ørum
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
mbmb
Logus Vile wrote:

Yes.

Mansions of Madness is highly thematic game about mystery and exploring. Your investigators aren't fighting machines, they are normal folk. When you start the scenario, you don't know what you must do to complete the scenario. You only have a couple of tiles from the house laid out. You have to explore the house in order uncover the room tiles. Every mission these tiles will be different according to the randomization the app provides. You will have to investigate items by searching, which may provide puzzles (in app) that you must solve, and/or items and equipment that will help you along the way to achieve your objective. You will encounter monsters but they aren't the main focus.

Deep Madness on the other hand has the map totally laid out before you start. Your characters are fighters. From what I gather, you already know what your objectives are and most of the game will be about fighting monsters in order to achieve those objectives. There is a water theme but in game terms, you have a timer on how many actions you can perform in a submerged room before you must leave. Deep Madness is a tactical miniatures game.

Thank you. That makes complete sense. I just thought the similarities on the surface looked very very close.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
world eater wrote:
ya, I do not get the app integration trend.

I'm sure I'm biased. I have worked in the software/hardware tech industry for my whole career (25 years and counting) and the last thing I want when I come home from staring at screens all day is to stare at another screen to play a board game.

The reason I love board games is that they are social, engaging, fun, and dont require electronics!

How dumb would it be to have a shelf full of games you cant play when the power goes out / during the zombie apocalypse???

w/e. I hope designers stop. glad this game has no app.

A lack of dependency on electronics wouldn't even crack my top 100 reasons for loving board games.

What to play when the power goes out probably wouldn't crack my top 1000 list of things I look for when deciding on a board game.

There are very few games that require an app in comparison to the VAST majority that do not require an app.

I hope designer's DON'T stop. I'd rather have diversity and creativity. You don't like a game with an app? Don't buy it. Just don't pretend like it's taking over the industry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.