Hide
13 Posts

Dream Home» Forums » General

Subject: vs Oceanos? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Popov Victor
msg tools
hello! i'm thinking of buying this game, but i'm afraid it is as light as Oceanos (which a bought and since traded away). does it have more "meat" thank oceanos? or sushi go party?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a pretty light game. I'd say the Oceanos level or maybe even a bit lighter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Popov Victor
msg tools
ok thank you i'll pass this one up then

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Porter
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bubu91 wrote:
hello! i'm thinking of buying this game, but i'm afraid it is as light as Oceanos (which a bought and since traded away). does it have more "meat" thank oceanos? or sushi go party?

I haven't played Oceanos, but Dream Home has a similar weight to Sushi Go Party. It may be too light for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sea
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also interested in this, though more for the purposes choosing which to pick up in terms of fun factor & variability, since both games seem to be light drafting games with some minor twist of their own

(Sorry if I'm semi-hijacking the thread. Didn't want to make a 2nd thread with a similar question)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They're pretty similar - great looking, easy rules, easy to play, not much replayability in both, similar variability. I'd say that artwork in Dream Home is nicer (less Disney-ish). Additionally, there is this psychological factor in Dream House - although different cards might show up at different times, I've noticed that some people have a tendency to build always the same/similar home, no matter what - their, indeed, dream home.

In terms of fun and variability, they're both gateway games, so take it as you want. In my mind, they're enjoyed by people new to the hobby, but it's not enough for more advanced gamers, who look for more choices/options and variability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sea
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
They're pretty similar - great looking, easy rules, easy to play, not much replayability in both, similar variability. I'd say that artwork in Dream Home is nicer (less Disney-ish). Additionally, there is this psychological factor in Dream House - although different cards might show up at different times, I've noticed that some people have a tendency to build always the same/similar home, no matter what - their, indeed, dream home.

In terms of fun and variability, they're both gateway games, so take it as you want. In my mind, they're enjoyed by people new to the hobby, but it's not enough for more advanced gamers, who look for more choices/options and variability.

Thanks for your help
I was initially swayed towards Oceanos due to its twist on drafting & upgradable components, but now with DH in the mix - which I agree has better art, & seemingly more 'variable player power' cards - I'm slightly leaning over there.

My main uncertainty has to do with the spatial element of the game, not sure if its more of a gimmick for the theme, or an actual decision point that adds some puzzle-ly aspect to the mix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.J.E. Hendriks
Netherlands
Arnhem
Gelderland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
They're similar in weight and artwork (I too prefer Dream Home, but Oceanos is very nice too). However, the main difference is the fact that Dream Home can be played in much less time than Oceanos, and then the luck factor that I find a problem in Oceanos doesn't really matter much. As a quick filler, Dream Home is fantastic. Oceanos outlasted its stay in my plays so far... I don't really mind Oceanos though, as long as you don't mind a great deal of luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
genesyx wrote:

My main uncertainty has to do with the spatial element of the game, not sure if its more of a gimmick for the theme, or an actual decision point that adds some puzzle-ly aspect to the mix.

I would say: it matters in Dream Home, it's forced in Oceanos. In Oceanos you don't have any control over where you place things - you just place them next in row. You can select a card to place, though. In Dream Home, you can both select a card (sort of) and decide where to place it, ofc, within rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sea
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone! I think it's safe to say that I'll be picking up Dream Home over Oceanos as my gateway drafting/set collection game of choice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Luchetti
United States
Glastonbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Argh - my Oceanos preorder arrived this week. Then over the weekend I played Dream Home and really liked it. Now I want to get rid of Oceanos :-/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Gergotz
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played this myself yet, but I own and have played Oceanos a few times. After watching some videos of this, I'm not sure it would sway me to pick this game up.

Dream Home seems too simple in comparison to Oceanos for me. Now, at first, I wasn't sure about Oceanos, but after a few plays, the possibilities opened up. It is a very tactical game (granted, not heavy tactical) which became much more apparent in a 5-player game. Obviously, you don't have choices where to put your cards (unless you use the fuel), but I feel it makes decisions harder because of that. I've spent a lot more time in Oceanos deciding whether I want to hate-draft the exploration captain or help myself to a better score. I've spent way more time comparing myself to other player's choices than I have in other drafting games before.

As for upgrading the submarine, the choices vary depending on the cards you're dealt and changes from game to game.

Also, I feel like Best Treehouse Ever is a better version of this game for some reason.

However, I will contemplate picking up Dream Home in the future, maybe after I play it. However, I own 7 Wonders (and Duel), Sushi Go Party, Oceanos, and Best Treehouse Ever, so I think I'm good for drafting games right now. This game reminds me more of Quadropolis though, which I feel is better as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milki Kaplanski
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually really do enjoy heavier, very thinky games, but these two hit a very sweet spot for me.

I bought both Oceanos & Dream Home last year in Essen when they got released and still own and love both of them. I've played Dream Home far more because I adore the sims-like home building feel it has (I made up my own solo rules just so I could play it by myself after my family got sick of me asking to play the game ;>).

Oceanos is great with 5 players, so little downtime, we really enjoyed that! The game can be very random with the luck of the draw and all, but the whole submarine upgrading thing gives you just enough control that it doesn't feel like a few bad draws will kill the game for you, as it gives you some options as for what to score when etc. It also looks very pretty at the end of the game with all those ocean cards on the table - the only thing that really bothers us is how much table space it takes up. I really do love the fact that the game works extremely well at all player counts, the 2-player variant is nicely done too.

And Dream Home can get just as frustrating about not getting what you want at the right time too, sometimes the others just take all the stuff you wanted/needed and there's no way of helping it. Sure, you have somewhat more control over what you get and especially where to place it, but with 4-player games someone eventually has to sacrifice a room and place an empty room in their house. What Tool & Helper cards (aka special powers) you get and when is totally random as well, whereas in Oceanos you control what part of your submarine gets upgraded and therefore which of your powers becomes stronger.

In the end both are pretty light and just as easy to learn but each has a certain flavour that makes the two of them different enough to own both imo.

I also think it's worth mentioning that both games get a little meaner when playing with 2 players, as you get the chance to deny the other player a good card by destroying it, but I'm a very peaceful player and it never felt too mean to me. In general Dream Home is the more aggressive one of the two, as you get better chances to deny the other player what they want.

In the variants forum for Dream Home you can also find a nice 2-player variant that makes the game more strategic and just a bit deeper, I definitely prefer it that with with 2 players!

Anyway, I'd totally recommend both to anyone with enough money. ;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.