Band of Brothers: Screaming Eagles» Forums » Rules

Subject: Unit moving along behind hedgerow is Open Ground? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Mackenzie
France
Penne
flag msg tools
In the diagram - the US MG unit may Op Fire at the German unit moving from F8 to E8. Line of Sight is Good - as Hedgerows are both adjacent to firer/target so don't block. Correct ?

And the US MG unit would qualify for the +4 modifier as the German unit is considered to be in Open Ground. Correct ?

Thx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Severs
England
Birmingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure it counts as open terrain, surely they'd get cover off the hedge?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Masonstone wrote:
In the diagram - the US MG unit may Op Fire at the German unit moving from F8 to E8. Line of Sight is Good - as Hedgerows are both adjacent to firer/target so don't block. Correct ?

Yes, there's LOS, but no on the +4; in order for the Germans to be considered moving in open ground, the MG unit would have to be adjacent to E8.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
Masonstone wrote:

Yes, there's LOS, but no on the +4; in order for the Germans to be considered moving in open ground, the MG unit would have to be adjacent to E8.

Hmm, that's an unexpected odd exceptional case there which I hadn't noticed (not having played with hedgerows yet):
55.0 wrote:
Fire at Infantry or Guns is reduced (-2) for a hedgerow only if
the target is adjacent to the hedgerow and the fire attack passes
through that hedgerow. This reduced FP applies even if the
target is moving, and in that case, the hedgerow negates the
moving in the open modifier. However, target units do NOT
get the benefit of the hedgerow when they move into or out of
a hex on the opposite side of a hedgerow from a firing unit.
They may also be considered moving in Open Ground in that
case. As long as two units on opposite sides of the same
hedgerow are not moving, they BOTH get the terrain benefit
of the hedgerow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
russ wrote:
(not having played with hedgerows yet)

What! Oh yeah, this is posted under Ghost Panzer... the original Screaming Eagles starter scenario was all hedgerows.

55.0 wrote:
However, target units do NOT
get the benefit of the hedgerow when they move into or out of
a hex on the opposite side of a hedgerow from a firing unit.
They may also be considered moving in Open Ground in that
case.

Yeah, it might be more clear if that bold part was something like "on the opposite side of a hedgerow next to a firing unit," but it's one of those things that makes sense when you think about what's supposed to be happening. If my guys are moving right behind a hedgerow, and you're firing from a distance, you only get fleeting glimpses of my guys... but if you're right up against the hedgerow yourself, looking through it, you've got a clear shot at my guys running up toward it or along it.

(The next bit about stationary units adjacent to the same hedgerow, firing through it, both getting a -2--not sure how to visualize that, but at least it's "fair," and simple.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
russ wrote:
(not having played with hedgerows yet)

What! Oh yeah, this is posted under Ghost Panzer... the original Screaming Eagles starter scenario was all hedgerows.

Yep, I was wondering why this was a Ghost Panzer thread... maybe an admin will move it to Screaming Eagles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
russ wrote:
Yep, I was wondering why this was a Ghost Panzer thread...

Well, as I understand it, nothing really exciting happened on the eastern front until the Americans got there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Mackenzie
France
Penne
flag msg tools
Thx for the responses guys - I supposed I missed the relevance of "opposite sides of the same hedgerow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam (Away/AFK)
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from to Band of Brothers: Ghost Panzer to Band of Brothers: Screaming Eagles
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
beresford dickens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Masonstone wrote:
Thx for the responses guys - I supposed I missed the relevance of "opposite sides of the same hedgerow.

Yes, it is opposite sides of the SAME hedgerow hexside.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mb
I can see where the possibility of confusion can come in. We'll add a word or two to the rules to clear that up for the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie 40
United States
in the flight path of McGuire AFB
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How can there a LOS through 2 hedgerows?

It was tough enough to see through one hedgerow, unless you crawled over it, and then you would be on the other side, without cover or concealment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
charlie four zero wrote:
How can there a LOS through 2 hedgerows?

When a unit is adjacent to a hedgerow, the game treats them as being right up against it, firing through it, using it as cover. Two such units, with open ground between them, have LOS & can fire at each other, but they're both getting the benefit of the defensive terrain. Once either of them backs off from their hedgerow, there's no LOS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This hedgerow thing has always been an issue with every tactical game I have ever played. Every opponent I have played against has just shrugged with me and we play on.

These must be the child version of hedgerows rather than the full grown versions?

I have house ruled that its "behind" a hedgerow are "fully hidden" when moving but "obscured" when firing. This breaks some games because of how the hedgerows meet on some maps for some games - Too easy to just walk across some maps without ever having to face fire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
martimer wrote:
I have house ruled that its "behind" a hedgerow are "fully hidden" when moving but "obscured" when firing.

I'm sure it would screw up the existing scenarios, but I wonder if you could borrow from Operation Dauntless: The Battles for Fontenay and Rauray, France, June 1944: there, a unit in "concealing terrain" (bocage, etc.) can't be seen from a distance unless/until it fires; at that point, you can take op fire at it, but then it goes back to being concealed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
martimer wrote:
I have house ruled that its "behind" a hedgerow are "fully hidden" when moving but "obscured" when firing.

I'm sure it would screw up the existing scenarios, but I wonder if you could borrow from Operation Dauntless: The Battles for Fontenay and Rauray, France, June 1944: there, a unit in "concealing terrain" (bocage, etc.) can't be seen from a distance unless/until it fires; at that point, you can take op fire at it, but then it goes back to being concealed.
It would probably mess up some BoB scenarios. Map design generally follows the design intent of the game.

Hedgerows are a "funny" terrain feature that seems to "break" most games rules.

I do like where you are going, though. LOS and protection..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.