Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mauro Lazzara
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
Aberdeen City
flag msg tools
Hi all,

I've played the game twice now (love it) and both times we've come to have to interpret a rule: when you move your train forward, as a reward, it is possible to move it forward zero spaces?

Please note that it is not the same as giving up the reward entirely - at least not if you're in a train station.

Let's say I move into a train station for the first time on a given turn, but have no money or desire to upgrade it. I may have moved there just to prevent other players from doing so (I am that kind of player).
Fast forward a bit, and I can move the train forward again: if I can move it forward zero spaces, leaving it where it is, and if I have the cash ready this time, then I can upgrade the station. Unless of course there is a minimum movement of one space, but the rules don't say so; however, they don't say you can stay put either.

Please leave your opinions, and if you are entitled, write your clarifications.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Pfister
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can move 0 steps. And therefore yes, if you stop your movement in a station, you may build it.

Edit: Just spoke to the editor Viktor, who did a whole bunch of testing. He prefers that "stop movement" implies moving at least 1 space. So in the next print run we will clarify the rules in this respect. Please play it this way, that you have to move at least 1 space to build a station.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauro Lazzara
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
Aberdeen City
flag msg tools
Thank you for the very fast clarification. For all it's worth, I'm glad to say we had guessed correctly and played accordingly both times.

But I have one more question! I'll start a separate post though.

Edit: following your edit, it appears that we had NOT guessed correctly after all. Ah well, I enjoyed it while it lasted.
But don't worry: I'll blame Viktor, not you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow - I read the original reply and never bothered to check for edits, so I missed the reversal. The situation even occurred in game since and I convinced everybody to allow it because "the designer himself said so on BGG".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
DocCool wrote:
Wow - I read the original reply and never bothered to check for edits, so I missed the reversal. The situation even occurred in game since and I convinced everybody to allow it because "the designer himself said so on BGG".

I did exactly the same!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phase A of a player's turn requires moving the cowboy at least one space, so it makes sense that an action to move a train would also require a move of at least one space. This seems consistent to me.

However, if the player has unlocked any auxiliary action(s) that requires moving the train backwards, then the player whose train is already in a station could use a building that provides both train movement and an auxiliary action to move their train backward and then forward in the same turn, returning to the same station. If they did not have the money to upgrade the station on their previous turn, it is unlikely that they would have the money on their next turn. It is possible, though, if they receive a "hand" payment from another player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauro Lazzara
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
Aberdeen City
flag msg tools
Hello Phil,

It's probably clear to you, but still safe to point out that movement in phase A is mandatory, while the reward part of an action can be forfeited; therefore, I may have an action to move my train engine forward, but decline to carry it out and leave the train where it is; however, if I do so, as clarified by Viktor and Alexander, I must also decline the opportunity to place my token on the station where my train is.

Also please note that I can keep my train "parked" in a station for several turns - not just by refusing to move my train, but simply because I happen to land on tiles that never have an action to do so; therefore, I may have several and various chances to raise money to be able to place a token in the station where my train has been idling - if only the rules allowed me to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.