Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Owen Duffy
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey folks!

Since you were all so kind about my monthly games column, I thought you might be interested in this piece I wrote for the Guardian about Mechs vs Minions. Hope you enjoy!

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/oct/24/league-of...

Also! I'm offering my journalistic services as a prize in the Jack Vasel Memorial Fund auction. Want a personal, customised feature article on your favourite game or designer? Get bidding!

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/215192/item/4980124#item4...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review! Doesn't look like my cup of tea, but I appreciate the review and I'll have to try to check the game out at a FLGS or if my father in law picks it up.

I've really appreciated the trend towards more boardgame coverage recently -- Ars Technica is another that's ramped up recently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice article, sounds like fun (I enjoy space alert so it is up the same alley, kind of)

One comment:

"makes the game less about grand strategy than scrambling to react to events as they happen. This might reduce its appeal to more tactically minded players, but it can’t really be considered a mis-step."

It would increase appeal to tactical players, decrease appeal to strategic players. Scrambling/reacting is the hallmark of highly tactical play. Tactical/strategic are not interchangeable (I'm guessing that is what went on?). Effectively strategy is grand scheme, tactics is nuts and bolts to get there after first contact and involves all reaction. Chaos does that (and I love it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoyed Mike Mayer's comic on "Strategy vs. Tactics" as a quick way to explain the two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.