Hermy Amann
Germany
Karlsruhe
BW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read multiple threads about gems, e.g. Emerald of Dexterity
But my group got one question which was never addressed:

Is it allowed to assist other players with your Emerald of Dexterity?

Emerald of Dexterity reads:
Quote:
Recharge this card to roll your Dexterity die instead of the normal die on a non-combat check.

So does it say that you can use your Dexterity die on any (also another players') non-combat check?

I think it can't be meant that way, but otherwise the Text on the card should be: Recharge this card to roll your Dexterity die instead of the normal die on your non-combat check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe this if from skull and shackles. It is only on your check. You only roll dice on your checks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert O'Hearne
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin is right.

The alternative text you suggest is unnecessary because of the rule:

Runelords rulebook p.22 wrote:
No One Else Can Take Your Turn for You. Whenever you encounter a card or make a check, you—and only you—must resolve it. No other character can evade it, defeat it, acquire it, close it, decide what to do with it, or fail at doing any of those things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hermy Amann
Germany
Karlsruhe
BW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay it might be a problem with the embarrassing german translation. Should have bought the english version arrrh

Sure nobody can resolve another player's check but every player may use one card of each type and one power per check to assist (if possible).

So in general I assumed that you can use every card to assist unless it refers explicitly to your check. This is hard to tell apart in the german translation because your ist translated as 'deine' and any as 'eine'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert O'Hearne
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I can see how my answer isn't quite on target.

There really isn't any mechanic in the game that lets you roll a die on someone else's check. Only the person taking the check is rolling dice.

(There's a slight variant to this in that there are cards that let you reduce the difficulty of someone else's check: you do usually roll dice for this, but you are changing the difficulty of the check, you are not rolling dice for the check.)

The problem actually isn't the translation.

The Emerald of Dexterity, for example, appears in the English version of Skull & Shackles with the the text "roll your Dexterity die" on "a non-combat check".

When the same card appears in the Monk class deck, which was published later, the card says "roll your Dexterity die" on "your non-combat check".

I haven't found a FAQ on this. But I'm certain the card is meant to be used the same way in either case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords to Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Skull & Shackles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah. I think they've often improved the language but no issued an FAQ when they feel that the prior wording was technically correct. In this case, keep in mind the cards are telling "you" (the one playing that card) what you can do. And since you aren't the one rolling the dice, you can't use this card to help others.

But, in the monk deck, they made that even more clear in the card's powers itself instead of relying on the nuances of the rules to make it work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.