Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Vertigo Villain Card, Dark City rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Medez
Philippines
flag msg tools
Hey.

I've got a clarification on the Vertigo Villain Card. How do we apply its card effects to the game since it's not specified as an "Ambush" or "Fight" effect?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a Fight effect. The label was left out of the card text by mistake.

FAQ: https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/92138/unofficial-collecte...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
That it is a fight effect is the official answer and errata.

However.

Every other card in that Villain group has an ambush effect and only an ambush effect, an ambush effect is more damaging and challenging, and in any case for it to be an ambush effect is probably more thematic to the Villain Vertigo. Personally, when not playing a match by Hoyle, I prefer to use the "Ambush" houserule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markococo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is officially a 'fight' effect.

In multi-player games it works fine as all the other players have to discard etc (for some reason you are immune when fighting her!)

In solo however, I think it works better as an ambush and I prefer to play it that way as it screws with you in a pretty thematic way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In solo play, that's a Master Strike level effect if you treat it as an ambush. Not cool. I have managed to use it strategically a few times as a fight effect in solo to dump a couple of cards and dig just a bit further into my deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Runnestrand
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
You should be reading this comic.
badge
I like nerdy stuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
TravelSized wrote:
Not cool.

Unless it dumps your 4/2 all SHIELD hand into something amazing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markococo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TravelSized wrote:
In solo play, that's a Master Strike level effect if you treat it as an ambush. Not cool. I have managed to use it strategically a few times as a fight effect in solo to dump a couple of cards and dig just a bit further into my deck.

The first time I played with that villain group (solo game) I had a cracking hand and was all set to use it.

Then Vertigo (pre-rules clarification) showed up and I treated it as an ambush. I had to discard and draw again and had a hand that was nowhere near as good. Gutted, yes. But I was also blown away by how thematic it was.

Y'know, Vertigo making me all dizzy, so I couldn't carry out my brilliant attack.

Then it got errata'ed into a Fight effect. And I was gutted again lol.

But as I mostly play solo, I just kept it as an ambush.

Master Strike level? Maybe? But it was fun so I guess it just means I like theme more than win/loss ratios.

Have recently started playing two-handed a bit more too so would use it as a fight effect for sure as I like to see the interactions between the two players.

Introduced it to freinds recently and they loved it so maybe I'll let Vertigo loose on them lol...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like others on here, I know it's errata'd as a Fight effect and play it as such, but I agree it should actually be an Ambush. That is more in line with the rest of her Villain group but it is also more in line with her character. In the comics, every fight where she's included involves a sudden vertigo sensation for the heroes as she suddenly arrives in the thick of things while all the attention is elsewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mickey Stirrups wrote:
Master Strike level? Maybe?

Definitely. Compare to Kingpin:

Kingpin wrote:
Master Strike: Each player reveals a Marvel Knights Hero or discards their hand and draws 5 cards.

Kingpin leaves you with one less card, but also has a way to avoid the effect altogether. If you play Vertigo as an ambush effect, surprise! Your current hand is toast, no matter what. You can plan around a fight effect, but not ambushes or Master Strikes. (Barring anything that lets you peek at the top of the villain deck, of course.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TravelSized wrote:

Can be used quite strategically if Angel is one of your heroes...

Not that this happened to me in Starter League #13 (October) - COMPLETE (Base Set + Dark City) or anything...

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
I pretend it's an Ambush effect for reasons of theme and cohesiveness with the rest of the Marauders team.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.