Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With the week behind us it's time to post your week's mini-session reports and stories to answer our favorite question:

mbmbWhat did you play this week?

mbmbcorn This week's WDYPTW Geeklist
mbmbcorn WDYPTW subscription thread
mbmbcorn The WDYPTW Guild

A fan of the WDYPTW Podcast? Get the newly minted microbadge --> mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The second half of Feldtober looking pretty light...

Wednesday
3x - King of Tokyo

Friday
1x - Luna

The first half of the month was full of gaming but the second half is going to continue to be hectic, so not sure how much gaming I'm going to be able to squeeze in. Hopefully another Feld game or two and a couple more plays of the 10x10 list. Have a great week!

meeple Keep playing...
BK's Hardcore 10x10 in 2016 List at 73/100
BK's His & Hers Stefan Feld Rankings
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United Kingdom
Keighley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Mostly learning and playing Tiny Epic Western this week. Two learning plays and one full game.

Along with plays of Sun Tzu, Alarm Warsaw and digging out 1960: The Making of the President for a reminder-learning play before a full play on election night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Schotten Totten x2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duki Vladus
msg tools
mbmb
--------------------
On Wednesday, October 19th 2016
Go / Baduk

On Thursday, October 20th 2016
Ancient game of strategy Latrunculi

On Friday, October 21st 2016
Halma

On Saturday, October 22nd 2016
Abstract strategy game Hex

On Sunday, October 23rd 2016
Abstract strategy game Freedom
--------------------

Each game is played only once, more than one would hurt me a headache
whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
4* Star Wars: Armada
1* Keyflower
5*Arboretum
1*Dominant Species

Overall not a bad week, two Armada meetup, one for summer kit. I get destroyed by the local group (Toronto has very strong players), but i learn more every time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Viceroy x 1
Via Nebula x 1
Longhorn x 1
Mundus Novus x 1
Islebound x 1
Hostage Negotiator x 7 (solo)
Sentinels of the Multiverse x 3 (solo)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Piquette
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Hello!
badge
I had to spend this geek gold on something
mbmbmbmbmb
Mechs vs. minions X 5
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Schippa
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1 x Pandemic
1 x Paperback
3 x Codenames
1 x Survive: Escape from Atlantis! with Survive: Dolphins & Squids & 5-6 Players...Oh My!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Bruno
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
got a bit done over the weekend
with the gf
- Learnt to play Boss Monster and played twice
- Tides of Madness x1

with gf and family
- Tension x 1
- Sushi Go x 2
- Alhambra x 1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This week was a good one! We mostly started playing my Essen purchases.

On Monday, GF and I played two games of Blokus. What a charming game! The 'fight over territory' bit reminded me of Go, while the game feels much, much lighter overall. Which means I get to play a very nice game that resembles a game I love, without all the pressure of getting people to play Go with me

On Wednesday, we broke out Odin's Ravens (second edition). First of all: I really like the production quality on Osprey's games. I already had The King is Dead, and bought Odin's Ravens and Agamemnon in Essen. And all of them are beautiful.
As for the game: it was good fun. Not sure if I love the way random draws dictate your options, but I'll have to play it a couple more times to see how much you can mitigate it through skill.

Friday until Sunday, I visited a local LAN-party whose organisation I used to chair. I brought my laptop and two bags of board games. Laptop didn't leave the bag all weekend

On Friday, a friend and I played Bios: Genesis. You can read about how this game blew my mind in this thread. We spent four hours on a learning game, and I thoroughly enjoyed the ass-kicking the game gave us

On Saturday, the same friend and I started off with two rounds of Blokus, just to get the mood going
After that, we started our first game of Le Havre. I bought this one because I love Agricola, but it tends to be over just when the game is getting a bit more relaxed. Which is absolutely when Agricola should be over, because it's not meant to be a relaxed game and I love it to death for it. But still, building an engine and using it once if you're lucky sometimes feels unsatisfactory. But in Le Havre you get to build stuff and actually use it. I was surprised at how many rounds this game lasts! And when playing with two, getting 3.5 actions per round means you get to do a whole lot of stuff.
We interrupted the game to play PitchCar. I brought that one to this gathering to act as a bit of a board game ambassador and show people that Monopoly and Risk certainly aren't all there is. And I managed to get five people to play for both the rounds we played Tons of silly fun and I lost both games big time
After PitchCar, I drove my GF back home. When I arrived back at the LAN-party, the friend I was playing Le Havre with was just leaving. So we didn't actually finish that one.
Because I was a bit bummed out at this, another friend was willing to play a quick game with me. So we played Pick-a-Polar Bear. Quick, silly fun and we both enjoyed it.

On Sunday, we started out with a first play of Adrenaline. I used to play tons of Unreal Tournament, so I was really excited for this one. And it definitely delivers on the atmosphere of a competitive shooter. At the same time, it's a very clever resource management game. Definitely not the kind of brainless fare you might expect with this theme.

After Adrenaline, my GF was done for the day in terms of gaming, so the other guy and I played Age of Steam Expansion: Scotland. Actually, we played two games of it. Because I lost the first game in less than five minutes. I was NOT paying attention, didn't issue any stock, built 8$ worth of track, didn't deliver a single cube and lost due to bankruptcy. So I logged the play, noted my loss and we both retroactively issued a share, got 5$ and continued the game. Which I ended up winning this time, though I'm still ashamed of my turn one loss!

So all in all, a great week of gaming. I got to play one of my favorites (Age of Steam), got tons of new stuff to the table and found what might become a new favorite (Bios: Genesis).

Let's see where this week goes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Violet Mackerel
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm playing with a 5 1/2 year old, and this list reflects that! This week, he was home sick three days and we hit the game cafe yesterday with his dad. All in all, we played:

Ghostbusters: Protect the Barrier Game (and won, which is rare for us)
Tenzi (w/the card pack 77 ways to play TENZI) - he gets stressed out by this game if we are racing and I beat him too many times, so to slow it down a bit without throwing the game I try to roll at about the same speed as him. I feel like this is really a sneaky way of supporting his math skills -- reading dice and adding small numbers, finding patterns, etc.
King of Tokyo (at the game cafe)
Unicorns in the Clouds (at the game cafe)
Maunz Maunz (which is a lot like Uno)
Munchkin Adventure Time - I'm a relatively new gamer but I have read a lot of Munchkin hate. I'll tell you, I see many of the flaws of this game, but the kid loves it and I love the kid. Plus, I'm a fan of the theme.
Love Letter: Batman
Rat-a-Tat Cat
The Magic Labyrinth (at the game cafe) - There's something about a magnet! Really enjoyed this one (the grownups, too).

We almost got to Loony Quest at the game cafe, but the rule book intimidated us. Now I've watched a video review and we can pick it up more easily next time. I also will keep a lookout for Doodle Quest, to break us in more gently.

On my phone or computer, I played:
Galaxy Trucker
Castles of Mad King Ludwig
Can't Stop
Jaipur
Love Letter
Takenoko

As we get closer to Christmas, I am starting to narrow down what I want to get our family as a game for Xmas. King of Tokyo or King of New York are frontrunners, based on recent play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Korner
United States
Tomah
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FRIDAY:
Mechs vs Minions - played the tutorial scenario and the first mission with four players. Lots of laughs and fun.

Eldritch Horror - 3 player game. We lost horribly to YIG.

Tiny Epic Westerns - 3 player game. More fun after each play so far.

SATURDAY:
A Feast for Odin - 2 player game. First play through - wow.

SUNDAY:
A Feast For Odin - 4 player game. Very fun, everyone liked it. I finished dead last but had a blast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Howe
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Friday night: [redacted]
Saturday night played some cards: six card golf
Sunday night: Sheriff of Nottingham
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played T.I.M.E Stories for the first time. We did two run throughs so far. I've heard it takes several sessions. Very fun and immersive!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simona Dostalova
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slow week - only 1 day of gaming with 3 games played. But 1 of them was new and most importantly, 1 of them was my favourite game of all time which I haven't played for 2 long months!

Wednesday

Cthulhu Wars
Cry Havoc
Beasty Bar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Romero
Germany
Freiburg im Breisgau
flag msg tools
2xTicket to Ride
2x7 Wonders
1xCamelot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bailey
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
Marvel Legendary x1

Only got one game in with the new Deadpool expansion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wednesday:
Salem
Age of War
Fairy Tale
Matcha

Saturday:
The Butterfly Garden
Roll Player
Hansa Teutonica

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Huskvarna
Sverige
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Game: Extreme
Dungeon Twister: The Card Game
Puerto Rico
Skyliners
Pandemic Legacy: Season 1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Great Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
Good week for me after a couple bad ones in a row.

Friday
Glass Road x2.
Mr. Jack Pocket x2.
Patchwork

Saturday
Ticket to Ride
For Sale (finally after 10 months without playing.)

Sunday
Targi
Biblios
Lost Cities
San Juan (second edition)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing. I could've wandered off into a group that meets at a café, but I wanted to do another day at the video game lounge

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.