Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Alexander
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Hi everyone!

The Peacekeepers Kickstarter is live! We think its something new and innovative so please do take a look!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mark-alexander/11368922...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David in Sydney (now in Coffs)
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great concept!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Babb
United States
Springdale
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Okay....

*) No posted rulebook.
*) No video playthrough.
*) No close up on actual components (do they even exist, or are they sourced from other games? I genuinely don't know.)
*) Reviews were all just unknown random guys talking about the game, without actually -showing- the game. I like giving other people a chance to review stuff rather than the usual folks (Dice Tower, Rahdo, etc.), but these were -bad-.
*) Pretty renders of mechs that won't actually be in the game (KS -does- say the production versions will be less detailed, but how smooth and blobby are we talking here?)
*) 4% of the £25,000 funding is coming from the one person who claimed the painted miniatures pledge.
*) Really basic typos in such an abundance as to make me fear for the final project. Is this by a native English speaker?

There's some nice mecha art, and some interesting ideas being bandied about, but the whole thing -screams- that it's a rushed project by a bunch of amateurs who don't really have much in the way of finished substance. I'll keep my eyes open for the retail version perhaps and see what -real- reviews have to say, but no way in heck am I going to back this thing based on its current presentation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J D
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Not okay...

From the artist who actually made the piece of art that they use as the cover of the game box:

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I was indeed contacted by these guys a few months ago. They were supposed to pay for the use of my art but they never got me updated. And do not respond any e-mail lately :/ To be honest, I'm just about to get pissed.

I also like the creators photo on kickstarter...he must be a dental model or something...

http://clinicadentallucchinidepompa.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Babb
United States
Springdale
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
TheGrump wrote:
Not okay...

From the artist who actually made the piece of art that they use as the cover of the game box:

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I was indeed contacted by these guys a few months ago. They were supposed to pay for the use of my art but they never got me updated. And do not respond any e-mail lately :/ To be honest, I'm just about to get pissed.

Source? Not saying it's false, but...

TheGrump wrote:
I also like the creators photo on kickstarter...he must be a dental model or something...

http://clinicadentallucchinidepompa.com/

...how do people find out stuff like this?!?!

That's impressive!

So, does anyone know who the creators are?

This blurb from the Kickstarter:
Kickstarter wrote:

"Mitch has 8 years experience working in 3d model design via AutoCAD, 3d studio max, and also model casting in both resin and mold creation. Mark project manages and in 2015 worked on £18m gross value worth of development projects. Alex works in game design for a mixture of mobile games and conversion of board games to app. We either own or play almost every game that’s out there and our experience is diverse. We have existing contacts in china with plastics companies and shipping agents and have prepared extensively with our production for a successful Kickstarter."

does not instill confidence in me. I know, I know. I'm being hard on Mitch (last name withheld), Mark (last name withheld), and Alex (last name withheld), but with their owning or playing of "almost every game" these seem like guys worth knowing. And by knowing I mean "knowing they're real people and not aliases being used by scammers with an office in 'birmingham'."

Oh wait, silly me. Mark is probably "Mark Alexander", the stock photo model apparently. One down, two to go. Mitch knows how to model pretty mechs, that's for sure; shame he isn't showing production models of the minis since that's important too. And Alex has a good background in developing games, but seems too bashful to share what those games are (most people would try to reassure backers by listing their previous game design, but not this Kickstarter).

Thank goodness they've added a "What we did wrong" section buried in the Kickstarter, where they explain they don't know how to market a Kickstarter. Because I want to back someone who doesn't even have a prototype to show me, and didn't realize that showing me said prototype might be an essential part of marketing the damn thing.

Realistic Best Case Scenario: these are three guys who have a game they've played for a couple of years with a few friends, and then spend the next two or three years learning how to manufacture and deliver a game that looks nothing like the KS models and needed another year of playtesting and proofreading.

Realistic Worst Case Scenario: two guys are running a con that somehow got Huffington Post involved (note to self: BGG runs better gaming journalism than the HuPo).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J D
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I simply contacted the artist on twitter, because i've seen his piece of art before, same goes for the other 3D mechs they are using for their kickstarter.

https://twitter.com/_Dofresh_

some of the other art is from this guy:

https://www.artstation.com/artist/crashmgn
http://crashmgn.deviantart.com/gallery/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that google images can be used to search for image matches.

--------------
https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/1325808?hl=en
Search for images with reverse image search

You can use a picture as your search to find related images from around the web.
How reverse image search works

When you search using an image, your search results may include:

Similar images
Sites that include the image
Other sizes of the image you searched for

Search using an image works best when the image is likely to show up in other places on the web. So you'll get more results for famous landmarks than you will for personal images like your latest family photo.

-------------------

ps - thank you for the detective work, trusting soul that I am* - I'll wait to hear what they come back with.

* no - I don't want to buy a bridge...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The weekend has come and gone and only a small amount of additional content has been provided via the KS page.

I am starting to be worried.

15 days left for the kick starter..
14 days before I must make a decision.. to risk all or cut'n'run.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Babb
United States
Springdale
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
davidinsydney2 wrote:

-RUN!!!!!-

Seriously, like I said earlier, the realistic best case scenario is an -awful- one. And I now think it -is- more scam than project.

It's one thing to go to KS with an unfinished idea (which should be a big red flag to be honest), but another to say it's finished when it isn't, and a third to be stealing art, representing yourself with a stock photo (?!?!), and then hiding your identity by not saying who you are or what you've previously done (and no, "this guy worked on mobile games" doesn't cut it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
San Dee Jota wrote:
davidinsydney2 wrote:

-RUN!!!!!-

I'm on the blocks!

I'll give them the 14 days..

But - I won't be encouraging others to back it unless they can show that it has enough done to have a chance of success and the artists get paid befor the KS ends!

My default setting is trusting - I very much appreciate your realistic assessment!

Thank you both!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Greer
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption as sons, by whom we cry, “Abba! Father!”
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
San Dee Jota wrote:

Realistic Worst Case Scenario: two guys are running a con that somehow got Huffington Post involved (note to self: BGG runs better gaming journalism than the HuPo).

Don't give too much credit to the HuffPost "article."

The bottom of the article confirms it is a solid contribution article.

"This post is hosted on the Huffington Post’s Contributor platform. Contributors control their own work and post freely to our site."

You could make a HuffPost article if you wanted. It's just a "review" of the game.

I, too, had my doubts. The creators seem nice enough. But again - best case is that it's nice guys doing what they can to make a game they aren't ready to make. Worst case is your investment will get held up indefinitely and this thing bottoms out.

I was out as of this:

https://www.fiverr.com/kansas1327/create-a-video-testimonial...

I kept thinking that the video review was terrible. It seemed like a kid reading a script, not an honest review by someone who actually played the game.

Well...maybe the kid actually did play the game - but it's obviously not an objective review. (Again pretty obvious in that he didn't use any unique language that was from the campaign or HuffPost article. He said what he was paid to say - as he states that he will do in his self advertisements.)

Which just feels dishonest when he claims to be a game reviewer.

Nails...coffins...you know the drill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Q
msg tools
mb
We had someone post a link to this on a FB group, and I started looking into it and found the thread here on BGG. They have a FB page with this posted image of their "..industrial unit and office..." in Birmingham.

https://www.facebook.com/circleofgeeks/photos/a.170268949335...

Which looks like the building from Super Hot Tubs in London.

http://www.superhottubs.co.uk/contact/

If it smells like $h!t, it probably is. I'd avoid this one. Lock up your daughters, wives and sheep. Warn your neighbor down the road too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Greer
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption as sons, by whom we cry, “Abba! Father!”
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spire_182 wrote:
We had someone post a link to this on a FB group, and I started looking into it and found the thread here on BGG. They have a FB page with this posted image of their "..industrial unit and office..." in Birmingham.

https://www.facebook.com/circleofgeeks/photos/a.170268949335...

Which looks like the building from Super Hot Tubs in London.

http://www.superhottubs.co.uk/contact/

If it smells like $h!t, it probably is. I'd avoid this one. Lock up your daughters, wives and sheep. Warn your neighbor down the road too.

Yeesh. I almost feel bad for anyone throwing their money away. But it's not been hard to find all the flags and see the warning signs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes - it is the same image

I *want* to think the Hot tubs is their day job, or the sub let or are the new tenants.

cry

But 105 pounds would leave me lots of change from backing DVG's Israeli Airforce Leader - and I would know what I'm getting with virtually no risk!

Ps Thank you for posting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Greer
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davidinsydney2 wrote:
Yes - it is the same image

I *want* to think the Hot tubs is their day job, or the sub let or are the new tenants.

cry

But 105 pounds would leave me lots of change from backing DVG's Israeli Airforce Leader - and I would know what I'm getting with virtually no risk!

Ps Thank you for posting.

It is true that they could be new tenants - it's just more of the "lifted images"/"borrowed art"/"half truths".

Buyer beware.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Babb
United States
Springdale
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Did anyone find out if the artist got paid?

At this point they're well over half way to funding, even after the mystery mega-backer* and unless people start dropping out I suspect a lot of folks are going to get taken for a ride.

(*why is a mega-backer suspicious? Because a well-meaning under-equipped project creator can "self-fund" their own Kickstarter and get the remaining people's money, paying the cut KS takes out of their mega-pledge from other pledges' funding. But then they're almost certainly unable to get the product made as they don't -really- have enough money and didn't know how to get the amount they needed in the first place. A scammer can do the same thing, only with no intent of a product ever materializing.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another update in the comments.

This is getting so good. I can't look away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Babb
United States
Springdale
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
davidinsydney2 wrote:

So I got bored and curious....

The Huff Post guy got him image from here: http://onedirection.com.br/zayn-estaria-inspirando-justin-bi...

Then I double-checked the Huff Post review... Whoever wrote it and whoever wrote the KS don't seem to know the difference between "lose" and "loose", and "Mike Ward" considers himself a Hot Tub guru.

So, out of three reviews, one is planted and one is -literally- paid for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
San Dee Jota wrote:
davidinsydney2 wrote:

"Mike Ward" considers himself a Hot Tub guru.

Is this the HOT(tub) connection to the office image? shake

This drama is gripping!
What will the next development be?!!!!

Hint - have a close look at the 6 cards pictured (of purportedly 50) that I assume drive the game mechanics....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Babb
United States
Springdale
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It gets better:

"Mike Ward" is the hot tub guru who created the HuffPost ad.
"Mark Alexander" runs a hot tub store in the UK.
"Mark Wood" runs the Kickstarter.

There's nothing wrong in the world with a hot tub guy being a gamer and wanting to make a new board game, or use part of his hot tub office space to help with the game. Seriously, that's 100% neat!

But you have one guy using three different identities to do things, and my support goes from "good luck making this game" to "is this a Nigerian scammer branching out into KS board games?" At this point I feel less like it's a project to support than a mystery to solve.

*) Is this a scam or a legit project?
*) If it's legit, why use multiple aliases in a potential business project? He sites "privacy" and "PTSD issues", but gives his address out to reassure people?!?!
*) Is there really a product, or just an idea for one?
*) When can I play Scythe (which this game reminds me of)? (EDIT: as in "when will I have the time". The game is out and gorgeous and sitting on my shelf taunting me.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Babb
United States
Springdale
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
davidinsydney2 wrote:

Is this the HOT(tub) connection to the office image? shake

On that front I'm sympathetic. Selling hot tubs is the KS creator's day job apparently.

The problems you run into there though are:

1) You can use the hot tub connection to realize one of his "reviews" is an ad he created for himself.
2) On the KS he says he works on multi-million £ projects. (it's possible he sells hot tubs on the side, or vast amounts of hot tubs, but I doubt it)

davidinsydney2 wrote:

Hint - have a close look at the 6 cards pictured (of purportedly 50) that I assume drive the game mechanics....

All I see is stock art. Which in and of itself isn't a bad thing (not an ideal thing from a marketing stance, but still) as long as they're legally using it and haven't stolen it from somewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no issue with him having a day job!
I keep my day job separate from my gaming too.

I want this project to be a success!

Just recently
In the comments section Of the KS Mark has posted some game mechanism - those 2 posts have given me far more belief that there actually is a game to be funded than any of the videos/reviews that have been provided to date!

I know that by staying as a backer I encourage others to back this project... I hope that I will not regret that decision.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Babb
United States
Springdale
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
davidinsydney2 wrote:

I know that by staying as a backer I encourage others to back this project... I hope that I will not regret that decision.

Hey man, I understand the hope and the concern of "am I helping a bad project that looks really, really neat".

I know I've been wrong about all kinds of stuff, and will continue being wrong about things, and I could very well be wrong about this one too. And if I'm wrong I'll genuinely feel glad for the backers who get a wonderful fun game.

I won't feel bad for what I've said though.

Ultimately, for every project I'm iffy on, there's another I feel good backing. So why feel iffy for months on end?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Babb
United States
Springdale
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Also, one of the exclusives is actually a Battletech Deimos mech.

So... yeah....

It's a crooked Kickstarter. The only question left is how intentionally crooked it is. I'm genuinely thinking "not 100%".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiran Wagle
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
San Dee Jota wrote:
Also, one of the exclusives is actually a Battletech Deimos mech.

So... yeah....

It's a crooked Kickstarter. The only question left is how intentionally crooked it is. I'm genuinely thinking "not 100%".

I'm on the side of 100% crooked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.