Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Sinden
United Kingdom
Twickenham
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm seeing on this link that next year it's moving to the end of Oct, which seems quite late for Spiel based on previous years.

http://www.expodatabase.com/trade-shows-europe/germany/essen...

26Oct-29Oct2017
Essen, Germany
SPIEL-International Games Forum with 'Comic Action'

Can anyone confirm this ?

cheers,
James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Semijawa
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fits right into the local school holidays. There are also later next year. And it's also the date I'm finding online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Freeman
United Kingdom
Exeter
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems everyone was in agreement a couple weeks ago when I decided to try reserving a room on Booking.com. Pretty much everywhere booked out and those that hadn't were charging a premium!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Germany
Hürth
NRW
flag msg tools
I won an Games for Geekgold Lottery with 0.09% Chance of winning. You sure you wanna mess with me?
mbmbmbmbmb
NRW in Germany has two weeks of school holidays in autumn. In the recent years Spiel has always been on the middle weekend of those holidays. (Mostly to enable families with children to visit also Thursday and Friday).

Here you can find holidays for the next 7 years and book your hotels in advance

http://www.schulferien.org/deutschland/ferien/herbstferien/n...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Dringautzki
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
My Blog - Shades Of Boardgaming
mbmbmbmbmb
TermiGator wrote:
NRW in Germany has two weeks of school holidays in autumn. In the recent years Spiel has always been on the middle weekend of those holidays. (Mostly to enable families with children to visit also Thursday and Friday).

Here you can find holidays for the next 7 years and book your hotels in advance

http://www.schulferien.org/deutschland/ferien/herbstferien/n...

That is true and Spiel is always in October. The later date is much more gladly taken as it gives some more days to finish a game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steph Hodge
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Well, it's no Ginkgopolis...
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow that is late!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sinden
United Kingdom
Twickenham
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If nothing else it's a good opportunity for anyone releasing a Halloween themed game...

What are the chances we see a lot of costumes on the last day ??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan
Netherlands
Sint-Oedenrode
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And how many people will forget adjusting their clocks for daylight saving time and show up one hour early on Sunday? ( or play one hour longer at night)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
eldooderino wrote:
Seems everyone was in agreement a couple weeks ago when I decided to try reserving a room on Booking.com. Pretty much everywhere booked out and those that hadn't were charging a premium!

I'm guessing that maybe some of these places haven't started accepting reservations yet, or haven't released any rooms for aggregating sites like Booking.com. I've never had trouble booking hotels for Essen in the city in the spring or summer, so I kind of doubt that it's REALLY sold out already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As it coincides with our local school holidays it means that - for the first time in a long time - I'll be able to drag some or all of my family with me next year.

I'm just not sure that it's a good thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Cranston
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe it was only the last 2 to 3 years it was early or mid October. I think the First two Times i went (2011-12) was also late October.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Thomson
United Kingdom
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hotels in Essen have started taking reservations for next year's dates (26/10 - 29/10). Many of them seem to be adding a "SPIEL supplement" on, and yet they're selling out crazy fast.

Already Motel One, Bredeney and a lot of the closer AirBNB places are already gone. Wow!

This is my first Essen trip - is it always like this? I knew that hotels would get booked up far in advance, but I didn't expect it to be within a matter of hours of booking opening
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Dringautzki
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
My Blog - Shades Of Boardgaming
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually it is like this each year. Some book the next year as they leave this years fair/hotel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Yeung

Paradise Valley
Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Can't book out 365 days yet.

But if people want Harry Potter in Europe next year...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
AlexDev wrote:
Hotels in Essen have started taking reservations for next year's dates (26/10 - 29/10). Many of them seem to be adding a "SPIEL supplement" on, and yet they're selling out crazy fast.

Already Motel One, Bredeney and a lot of the closer AirBNB places are already gone. Wow!

This is my first Essen trip - is it always like this? I knew that hotels would get booked up far in advance, but I didn't expect it to be within a matter of hours of booking opening

The least expensive options fill up fast, sure. But like I said above you can usually get hotel reservations into the spring or early summer without too much issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
People also book without knowing if they are actually going. A lot of rooms become available again in due course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to be on the safe side I just booked at Bredeney hotel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Yeung

Paradise Valley
Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Would love to go next year but BGGCON is 3 weeks afterwards.

For the Essen Vets - BGGCon is a chance to play all you want!

Look forward to going back to Essen in 2018.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We booked our hotel for our first Essen this week

It will coincide with my 40th Birthday, so we're making a trip of it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chessher
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
Just to be on the safe side I just booked at Bredeney hotel

Also in Bredeney. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Richardson
msg tools
AlexDev wrote:

I'm one of four guys going as a group from London. It will be our second visit, first being in 2014. Compared to 2014 when we made arrangements in February the availability of places to stay seems far fewer but yes, I am quite sure that availability is always limited during the show.

If like us you prefer to stay in an AirBnB place to a hotel, do check Wimdu and 9Flats too. Right now there is very little in the Essen area on any of them but there are things that appear on these other AirBnB-a-likes that do not appear on AirBnB.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martina Frohme
Germany
flag msg tools
The Dice & Mystics Board Game Guild say: Have fun!
badge
We can still hear you, Major Tom. Thank you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to drop a hint: Nearly all hotels in Bochum (town next to Essen) have an excellent connection to the Spiel via the motorway or public transport.

Edit: re-corrected auto-correct...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Keiner
Germany
Oberhausen
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As do the hotels in Oberhausen (town next to Essen, the other side).

I often recommend this hostel http://www.in-hostel-veritas.de/.
Arboretum wrote:
Just to drop a hint: Nearly all hotels in Bochum (town next to Essen) have an excellent connection to the Spiel via the motorway or public transport.

Edit: re-corrected auto-correct...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martina Frohme
Germany
flag msg tools
The Dice & Mystics Board Game Guild say: Have fun!
badge
We can still hear you, Major Tom. Thank you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite right!
Or Duisburg. Not much further, really. They are all along the autobahn that goes through the area.

Edit: typo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.