Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank Heeren
Germany
Eppstein-Bremthal
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmb
This post is intended for those who are far from reaching 100 points in this game and are seeking some basic advice. I will not refer to any specific action spaces, that is still to be explored by you.

Spoiler (click to reveal)

In the 7 round game, do not care about food in the first 2 rounds. The harvest phase will supply you plenty.

Do not stockpile resources like wood or stone if you have not a specific plan to use them soon. If you go hunting/whaling and you have 2 weapons of the same kind, you will most likely succeed if you have 1-2 wood.

Don't be afraid of exploration, but try one in the first half of the game. They offer a quicker income or better bonuses as the homeboard does.

If you have an exploration board focus on it! Try to get the best out of it and leave your homeboard to itself for a while.

If you breed animals and you have a pair with a pregnant one you can upgrade the other one for a green tile to bring it on your board. The pregnant one will give birth anyway and in the most times an upgraded animal is more valuable on your board then in your stable.

Remember that you can buy ships. If you need a ship and you have the money to buy it and you do not need the money on your board then it can be more effective to buy it instead of building it.

Remember that you can use the income of a round for instant puzzling (possibly in combination with some leftover tiles) to get more bonuses in the same round later.

Try these mini goals for the first three rounds:
Have an income of 2-3 at the end of round 1
Have an income of 4-5 at the end of round 2
Have an income of 7-9 at the end of round 3 (and/or some good bonuses)

Good luck and most important: Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
holy moses....you can buy ships...this was totally unknown....

anything else you can just buy outright?

great little run down. i was too scared to buy exploration boards on my first go. but they are crucial
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Lindrupsen
Norway
Fredrikstad
Østfold
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some great little points to new players! I really feel like this game gives a lot of options for exploring and getting better and better scores each game you play.

In my first game, I totally ignored houses and exploration boards as I was to afraid of the negative points on the home board. In my second game, I ended up getting an exploration board in the last round, just because I had too many tiles. There are many ways to go and different strategies that will work well. A great, great game!

Thank you for this amazing game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing solo, and after my first two games, I was like how the hell do you ever have time to fill up your home board let alone another one? But after my third game it's starting to click a little more, the exploring the other islands, and getting those other extra bonuses can really help you along the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernesto Pavan
msg tools
Wait... you can upgrade animals? O_o I thought you could only do that with resources?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ErnestoPavan wrote:
Wait... you can upgrade animals? O_o I thought you could only do that with resources?

They're red tiles. As such you can eat them (which is a waste) or upgrade them (which is awesome).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ErnestoPavan wrote:

It's one of the things I emphasize when I teach. It's also what could make a heavy breeding strategy viable, although I haven't tried it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
patton55 wrote:
I've been playing solo, and after my first two games, I was like how the hell do you ever have time to fill up your home board let alone another one? But after my third game it's starting to click a little more, the exploring the other islands, and getting those other extra bonuses can really help you along the way.

I've played twice solo since getting the game, and have felt the same way. Although I've done terribly and had low scores, I also feel like the game ramps up as it goes and somehow, you do start to get what you need.

Typically I have zero interest or desire to play a boardgame solo, but this one has really stuck with me. What is really interesting is the game is complex looking, but when you sit and play it, it's kind of a simple idea. But then once you play it and start thinking about it, the underlying complexity really comes back. I've played games that look simple, but are complex, and games that look complex but really aren't too bad once you play them. This is the first time I've had a game that feels like it goes full circle from complex to simple back to complex.

Rosenberg did a great job here in not just offering a ton of openness and choices and options, but in making it intuitive and accessible but also providing a lot of depth and POINT to all those choices and options. So far in my limited plays the game really feels like it encourages experimenting and trying different strategies which I think makes it a game that will see a lot of replay in my house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gernot Köpke
Germany
Hessen
flag msg tools
patton55 wrote:

Brave players fill one island after the other and fill the rest of the homeplan in last two rounds with the bonus-pieces help of the covered islands and/or "uptraded" animals. In the game you trade goods to "higher" coloured pieces of the same size, what often is called a bit incorrect an "upgrade", so I offer to use the word "uptrade" :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.