Subject: Catapult Balance Issue? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ErethAkbe
Argentina
Bariloche
Rio Negro
flag msg tools
After 2 games, we have been left with the feeling that the catapult is overpowered...

It was the only real threat to the towns during the game, and several armys were obliterated by a mere "two step" of the catapult...

We had to nerf it's bravery revenue to half, as a homerule, to reduce it's profit (considering that the temporal VP from towers require to be there at the begining of your turn, having a building that can destroy an entire army at a tower with no effort and winning the owner LOTS of bravery points sounds really OP)

We are considering removing the catapult for the next games, to give more presence to the tiles and the armys and the tactical deploy of meeples

Another nerfing we thought: reducing the "destroy meeples on tile" to "destroy 3 meeples on a tile" (but we still haven't got a clue on how to balance the building bombard action)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Harr
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
I 100% agree with you. In the games I have played everyone just tries to take out everyone's catapults out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BALAY Alain
France
Toulouse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hi, i'm not sure i had rly understand one of your sentence , but just in case i want make a precision : catapult can be used every 3 turns not every 2 turns like i understand your sentence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ErethAkbe
Argentina
Bariloche
Rio Negro
flag msg tools
What i meant is that the catapult is a two step building, from start to the "bombard/kill'em all" actions. Even though it takes "3 turns", still is a "normal" speed action (if you consider a fast one of 1 step and a slow one of 3 steps or more, like bulding.

How many times have you seen a player win (without catapult) against other players (with catapult)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BALAY Alain
France
Toulouse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I win more times without catapult for me .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Ward
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Catapult is strong, but play a few more games. You definitely don't need catapult to win. In my experience a strategy hinging on the 'deploy 3/7 to a territory where you already have meeples' building (combined with, say, 'deploy 1 to a territory adjacent to enemy meeples') is likely to win you the game much quicker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
How do you counter a catapult?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ErethAkbe
Argentina
Bariloche
Rio Negro
flag msg tools
hudcrab wrote:
Catapult is strong, but play a few more games. You definitely don't need catapult to win. In my experience a strategy hinging on the 'deploy 3/7 to a territory where you already have meeples' building (combined with, say, 'deploy 1 to a territory adjacent to enemy meeples') is likely to win you the game much quicker.

I've had a couple more games after starting this thread and this strategy works great... but still, when the catapults start raining hell on your citys is hard to stop'em

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergely Szemeti
Hungary
flag msg tools
Since you can move every meeple individually, i usually go and split them into the smallest army pieces i can manage before it hits, so i can mitigate the loss. Of course you need to consider your opponents pieces, so that you wont give them more points if they can attack you too next turn.

Hope i managed to help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lesley COLIN
Belgium
flag msg tools
You can counter the attack of your meeples by divide your army into smallest pieces you can just before the catapult hit.
To counter the attack of your city, just build the abbey and use conversion. It works for me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.