Popular Tags: [View All]
René Boe
Denmark
Odder
DK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm about to teach this game to 3 other players in the comming weekend.

I have read the rule book and looked through the appendix and I'm about to watch MiWi's play-through on YouTube.

Are there any of you who have already thaught the game to others that have any hints how to go about it?

In what order should the different things be introduced?
Should I use the turn order and use that as the guide to my explanation?

Any help would be appreciated.

I should probably add that I haven't played the game myself yet, and probably won't get the chance to before the weekend.

/René
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver MacFarlane
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I taught this twice over the weekend and my second attempt was certainly better!

I would explain it in the following order:

1) Basic theme behind the game (use the wording from rulebook if not sure)
2) Explain how to win game, and all the ways you can get points without going into detail the exact mechanics of how to get boats, boards etc
3) Talk through the board and how you place the pieces on the board. Also explain the income during this stage.
4) I would then talk through the turn order guide going through every stage one by one.
5) When explaining the actions leave the dice rolling actions till last as I find this the only non intuitive on first look what the space is meant to do.

I think that covers everything. I would also give some general hints and tips and various strategies if there are first timers as the choices can seem overwhelming!

Enjoy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob van Dalen
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
macfaro wrote:
1) Basic theme behind the game (use the wording from rulebook if not sure)
2) Explain how to win game, and all the ways you can get points without going into detail the exact mechanics of how to get boats, boards etc
3) Talk through the board and how you place the pieces on the board. Also explain the income during this stage.
4) I would then talk through the turn order guide going through every stage one by one.
5) When explaining the actions leave the dice rolling actions till last as I find this the only non intuitive on first look what the space is meant to do.

Last week, I explained the game like this as well, it worked really well!
I'd say the main pitfall is explaining action in detail without having given a proper overview and some overall concepts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helena Hovancova
Slovakia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Have not tried teaching it yet, but I always read & learn rules beforehand.
I would try this approach:

1. THEME & COMPONENTS, GAME DURATION

INTRODUCE COMPONENTS
What your clan will be doing:
* improving homeland [player board]
* building buildings [show buildings]
* gathering resources in nearby countryside [strips]
* exploring islands with ships [island tiles plus ships]
* specializing [cards]

TIMER = Feast table

2. GO THROUGH 1 ROUND in general

3. EXPLAIN IN MORE DETAIL:

* anytime actions [buying ships!]
* 3 viking & 4 viking bonus actions
* actions - not all of them, but upgrading, dice-related stuff, exploring
* puzzling rules & income & bonus
* feast rules
* animal breeding
* card types

4. END GAME SCORING

Also, there is handy file with Rules Reminders & Actions explanations: Brent's A Feast for Odin Rules Reminders and Actions Explanations

It seems helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
Belgium
Gellik
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You can buy ships anytime. You can see it on the supply board for the ships. But after reading the rules I forgot about it when explaining and playing the game 2 times.
I think I forgot because it's not on the board where all other actions are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brooks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
Proud writer for iSlayTheDragon
badge
mbmbmb
I like to point out that the turn structure is essentially 11 steps of book keeping and the action phase. There are simultaneous decisions to be made during the feast (fill up feast area) and income/bonus (fill up board) so that essentially boils down to taking actions and placing tiles as the most important elements to explain.

I teach similar to Oscar but go straight into walking through turn order after giving the broad overview. I cover placing tiles when I get to the Income (placing on board) and Feast (placing on feast) steps. I also skip the Action step and explain that after going through the entire turn structure. During the action explanation I pretty much go top to bottom by categories and explain the actions as broadly as possible, only going into details on specific actions when necessary. The categories I define are:

1. Constructing buildings
2. Constructing ships*
*Give a brief function of each ship (whaling, commerce, pillaging)
3. Gaining tiles*
*Explain simple tile gain, then livestock, then hunting
4. Conversion (Crafting)
5. Resource gathering
6. Upgrading
7. Blue boat actions
8. Red boat actions
9. Card draw/play* (I skip ahead here but you could easily do it very first, along with 3/4 viking bonus, or last)
*Go through the three card types, remind they are worth points
10. Exploration
11. Emigration

As others have mentioned it's also helpful to wrap up with the miscellaneous details such as buying boats and reminder of any time actions. Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Crouch
United Kingdom
Tadley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The biggest mistake I made on my first teaching was forgetting that the '1' harvest goods are three goods (peas, beans and flax). I just gave everyone peas, which made for a tough first round. It was only when I thought back to MiWi's video that I realised my mistake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The rules have a note after the description of the first few rounds that it is easy to explain them (rounds 1-3, or rounds 1-4?) using the symbols on the various boards.

I think I started by explaining the goal (get the most silver + points, maybe BRIEFLY talk about green/blue/silver/ore covering board spaces), walked through the phases WITHOUT going into depth on the actions, and then dived in.

For people who learn by doing, I think diving in quickly can help prevent them from being overwhelmed by all the spaces and rules. Otherwise people can get so swamped they zone out. To do this, you have to be okay with the first game as an experimental / learning game though. When my girlfriend and I taught ourselves, we simply started picking action spaces almost at random to gradually learn what they did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Pelton
United Kingdom
Hucknall
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
malibu_babe_28 wrote:
The biggest mistake I made on my first teaching was forgetting that the '1' harvest goods are three goods (peas, beans and flax). I just gave everyone peas, which made for a tough first round. It was only when I thought back to MiWi's video that I realised my mistake.

Initially I thought it was a mistake to give everyone all 3 goods. I quickly realised that it wasn't a mistake at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Boe
Denmark
Odder
DK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
helena_poprad wrote:

1. THEME & COMPONENTS, GAME DURATION

INTRODUCE COMPONENTS
What your clan will be doing:
* improving homeland [player board]
* building buildings [show buildings]
* gathering resources in nearby countryside [strips]
* exploring islands with ships [island tiles plus ships]
* specializing [cards]

TIMER = Feast table

2. GO THROUGH 1 ROUND in general

3. EXPLAIN IN MORE DETAIL:

* anytime actions [buying ships!]
* 3 viking & 4 viking bonus actions
* actions - not all of them, but upgrading, dice-related stuff, exploring
* puzzling rules & income & bonus
* feast rules
* animal breeding
* card types

4. END GAME SCORING

Also, there is handy file with Rules Reminders & Actions explanations: Brent's A Feast for Odin Rules Reminders and Actions Explanations

It seems helpful.

Thank you to you all for the hints about explaining the rules to this game.

I have now done it 3 times, and it has gone reasonably well I think.

I took Helenas outline here and really expanded on it, so every time I needed any specific explanation I copied the wording from the PDF of the rules to my teaching scripts so I didn't ad confusion with my own wording of the rules.

But I must really compliment Helena on the very clear distillation of the main points of the rules.

All in all this gave me a 5 page script that I was very happy with after the 3 games.

/René
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Cake
United Kingdom
Ipswich
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One additional thing I did was that after explaining how tile placement on the home board worked I gave everyone a variety of tiles, silver etc and gave them some time playing around placing all the tiles. Made it much easier for them once the game started.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barak Engel
United States
Oakland
CA
flag msg tools
And the Geek shall Inherit the Earth
badge
I am the unholy trinity: Agnostic, Atheist, and Skeptic.
mbmbmb
ProsperoDK wrote:
All in all this gave me a 5 page script that I was very happy with after the 3 games.

/René

Share, please?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gernot Köpke
Germany
Hessen
flag msg tools
At the fairy 2015 (prototype) and 2016 I explained the game four days long (with historical background-informations). It seems to be good to explain at first the twelve phases and in examples some spaces. Thereafter I tried to start the game and gave some hints. Step by step I explained the rest of the rules and spaces and then rule-details. It is easier to show the rules by an example or playing situation. Especially the not so easy way to "puzzle the income" and around the bonus-fields needs time. Here are the most misunderstandings. But like in a battle, the first thing, that is killed, is the plan ;-)
So improvisation is always asked, when you don`t want to ignore questions...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.