Subject: Rules for BaC - White Dwarf September 2016 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Víctor Manuel Ochoa
Spain
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've been trying for a while to get the White Dwarf September issue because of the Alternate Histories rules for Betrayal at Calth. I've been oubided everytime in eBay and I think the prices for the magazine are crazy.

I would like to know if the changes added in the September issue are worth it. I know there is rules for other board games in that issue but I only have Betrayal at Calth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
It is honestly probably not worth it - depending on your finances. The rules are essentially 4 pages and they basically provide rules for how to play the scenarios with different models -- the Ultramarines can play with a Contemptor Dreadnought. The Chaos can play with Terminators . . . *but, but, but* -- if you are playing the hell out of this game then the price might be justified, you just have to figure out if you're going to just swap models around or if you're going to buy another box of Calth so you can have Contemptor v. Contemptor, etc.

The rules also come with a cut-out "card" (it's just printed on the page) for the Ultramarines Contemptor.

I haven't used the rules myself, so not sure how well they work.

I can say that of the scenarios GW has released, they are nearly all (except one) geared toward getting people to buy more models.

This set of extra rules would have you buy another box of Betrayal at Calth and paint it opposite colors so that you can play with all the models . . . or purchase a Contemptor and a box of Terminators. A prior scenario was one that used TWO sets of Calth - so again, you need a friend with a copy, or you need to buy another copy of the game. Which if you're keeping track and buying everything yourself, would be 3 boxes, or 2 boxes, a Contemptor, and a Terminator unit. Then another scenario was adding demons to your game -- recommending more model purchases.

The single additional scenario they released in which you don't need additional models, was, by those who have commented about it, a good scenario.

Hopefully all this is helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Víctor Manuel Ochoa
Spain
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Than you very much Chris for your explanation.

I was hoping no extra models needed, maybe use different models from the box, i.e: use the Ultramarines Terminators in the first scenario or Kurta Sedd in the second scenario. Something like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What Chris said. Nice to have. Not a must have. And, that also goes for the scenarios for the other games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
kanito8a wrote:
Than you very much Chris for your explanation.

I was hoping no extra models needed, maybe use different models from the box, i.e: use the Ultramarines Terminators in the first scenario or Kurta Sedd in the second scenario. Something like that.

The rules for each scenario do not allow whole-sale substitutions -- what you can swap out is restricted and dictated by the Alternate History rules. This magazine will be cheaper if you just wait a while, I would guess. Of course, you could certainly come up with house rules that would let you swap out units, too. Certainly not worth buying just for the Calth content, unless you could get it for MSRP prices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Víctor Manuel Ochoa
Spain
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
cmontgo2 wrote:

The rules for each scenario do not allow whole-sale substitutions -- what you can swap out is restricted and dictated by the Alternate History rules. This magazine will be cheaper if you just wait a while, I would guess. Of course, you could certainly come up with house rules that would let you swap out units, too. Certainly not worth buying just for the Calth content, unless you could get it for MSRP prices.

As you said, I don't think it's worth to get the magazine just for the Calth content. Maybe I'll try to create some scenarios for myself (Once I finish to play the original scenarios of course!).

Again, thanks for the info, it's been very useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you just want the scenario, you might pick up the digital issue. White Dwarf has an iOS and Android app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Víctor Manuel Ochoa
Spain
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
anarchy wrote:
If you just want the scenario, you might pick up the digital issue. White Dwarf has an iOS and Android app.

That is the first thing I tried, but: The Black library App only works for tablets (I don't have a tablet) and as far as I know you cannot choose the issues to download, you just get the issue of the current month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.