Subject: Replay vaule now that the game is out. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brent Hughes
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I have played up to mission 3 my group and we love it but were wondering what kind replay vaule their is after going through all the scenarios is their some kind of random way to set up to play different each time? Or is it just play through than make up your own way to play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DomeIsTheName wrote:
So I have played up to mission 3 my group and we love it but were wondering what kind replay vaule their is after going through all the scenarios is their some kind of random way to set up to play different each time? Or is it just play through than make up your own way to play

I've played through the tutorial and first 2 missions multiple times each now, and each time has felt different and has been a lot of fun. Playing a different character, or using a different number of characters, can make the game feel quite a bit different. So I already feel I'm getting replay value here, and I have to assume that replay value will increase as the missions continue, and each character has more schematics, and of course there are more scenarios to choose from.

I'd love to see some sort of software to let players build their own scenarios, upload them, and have them be voted on though... that could really give this game longevity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DomeIsTheName wrote:

My boys and I have remarked on how even mission 1 would be fun to replay, since the way things play out in a semi random, chaotic manner would make the game feel different each time, granted after a few plays of the same scenario it could feel easy to solve every time, losing it's replay-ability.

That said, we do feel even if we never play it again after the tutorial, plus 11 missions, we'll have gotten out money's worth out of the game. 12 plays of a single game in today's climate is quite good for our group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Klinton
Sweden
Mölnlycke
-
flag msg tools
mb
jmathias wrote:
DomeIsTheName wrote:

My boys and I have remarked on how even mission 1 would be fun to replay, since the way things play out in a semi random, chaotic manner would make the game feel different each time, granted after a few plays of the same scenario it could feel easy to solve every time, losing it's replay-ability.

That said, we do feel even if we never play it again after the tutorial, plus 11 missions, we'll have gotten out money's worth out of the game. 12 plays of a single game in today's climate is quite good for our group.

I agree. I probably won't replay the game after finished. Had a 9 hour long gaming session where we got through 6 missions and had a blast. So I have definitely gotten my moneys worth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Arnone
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I mean, people can play Pandemic hundreds of times, and the decisions in MvM are definitely Italy more interesting. Not sure how anyone could worry about the replayability of a game with multiple scenarios vs a game with 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Hughes
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Felkor wrote:
DomeIsTheName wrote:

I've played through the tutorial and first 2 missions multiple times each now, and each time has felt different and has been a lot of fun. Playing a different character, or using a different number of characters, can make the game feel quite a bit different. So I already feel I'm getting replay value here, and I have to assume that replay value will increase as the missions continue, and each character has more schematics, and of course there are more scenarios to choose from.

I'd love to see some sort of software to let players build their own scenarios, upload them, and have them be voted on though... that could really give this game longevity.

Thats a soild point. I know it has been talked to death but I really hope that Riot makes another board game. The gameplay and componets are just amazing and would love to see what else they could cook up. It seems to have gone over really well so hopfully they will try something else. I would love to see a deckbuilder or a descent style game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Allen
msg tools
InkSplat wrote:
I mean, people can play Pandemic hundreds of times, and the decisions in MvM are definitely Italy more interesting. Not sure how anyone could worry about the replayability of a game with multiple scenarios vs a game with 1.

^ This. Pandemic is easily played by many several times of the exact same scenario, which plays out differently each time. Mechs vs Minions has 10 of those scenarios, and a hard mode which you can add in as well for more chaos. Throw in the fact that the mechs will be programmed differently each time and there's a lot of variety in each play.

That being said, I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of custom scenarios come from the community. There are way too many creative people in this hobby, so I don't see how we won't see some made sooner than later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H.M. Woggle-Bug, T.E.
msg tools
Royal College of Arts and Athletic perfection
badge
Inventor of Knowledge Pills
mbmbmbmbmb
JshaunallenTX wrote:
[q="InkSplat"]Pandemic is easily played by many several times of the exact same scenario, which plays out differently each time.

Well, Pandemic is just boring every single time. That clearly reduces the replay value of Pandemic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Hughes
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JshaunallenTX wrote:
InkSplat wrote:

^ This. Pandemic is easily played by many several times of the exact same scenario, which plays out differently each time. Mechs vs Minions has 10 of those scenarios, and a hard mode which you can add in as well for more chaos. Throw in the fact that the mechs will be programmed differently each time and there's a lot of variety in each play.

That being said, I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of custom scenarios come from the community. There are way too many creative people in this hobby, so I don't see how we won't see some made sooner than later.

Whats the hard mode? I havent seen that in the rules just easy mode stuff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DomeIsTheName wrote:
JshaunallenTX wrote:
InkSplat wrote:

There are 11 envelopes. After mission 10, you open the last envelope and there are details in there. You probably haven't heard much because not many people have actually gotten that far and opened the envelope yet. At this stage, I still don't know what's in it myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Hughes
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Felkor wrote:
DomeIsTheName wrote:
JshaunallenTX wrote:
InkSplat wrote:

There are 11 envelopes. After mission 10, you open the last envelope and there are details in there. You probably haven't heard much because not many people have actually gotten that far and opened the envelope yet. At this stage, I still don't know what's in it myself.

Thats really cool. That would make going back through much more interesting

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Evans
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Board Game Replay
badge
Check out our series at youtube.com/boardgamereplay
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played through about half of the missions so far with my main group. This weekend I spent the day at a con and showed 3 different groups the game by playing through Mission 1 again. I've now played Mission 1 four times and each time it was still fun and interesting. I mean I wouldn't want to keep playing the same one over and over when there are other options, but I think the scenarios are so varied that it's always fun to try and solve the cool puzzle that that particular mission presents.

I only know vague details about the "hard mode" but I certainly look forward to that putting even more of a spin on things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin "Coop" Cooper
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
Just Coop.
badge
What?
mbmbmbmbmb
DomeIsTheName wrote:

I played mission 2 three times and enjoyed it each time (despite losing the first two times). I read the mission 3 booklet and I am excited to play that. The fact that the three missions I have seen so far are completely different gives me a lot of hope for this game lasting a while.

I can't wait to see what is in the other missions, but I could play missions 2 and 3 over and over again. Mission 1 is too short/easy now that I have a good idea what I am doing, though I am tempted to try mission 1 with one mech just as a challenge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Halle
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
How does it work, if you go back and replay an earlier mission.

Do you just use all the new cards added sofar from later missions? Or do you remove these again? And are they clearly marked?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Evans
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Board Game Replay
badge
Check out our series at youtube.com/boardgamereplay
mbmbmbmbmb
jaydenn wrote:
How does it work, if you go back and replay an earlier mission.

Do you just use all the new cards added sofar from later missions? Or do you remove these again? And are they clearly marked?

The cards are clearly marked with a 1, 2, 3...etc. So you can easily select the Schematics that were originally available for that scenario. However, the FAQ states that you can keep everything unlocked for replaying missions if you want. You're only ever able to choose 2 Schematics per character on each mission anyway so it shouldn't make or break anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Maxcy
United States
Lexington
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that there's replayability in trying it at different player counts as well. Mission 2 in particular seemed really difficult with only two where I'm sure Mission 4 and Mission 6 would have a unique challenge with more players.

Schematics add replayability as well. Where you can only choose to use two schematics per character each mission, it could be fun to see how well you could handle the mission with a different loadout. On top of that, in my two player runthrough I haven't even had a chance to see what Tristana and Heimerdinger bring to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Game's not difficult to tweak. Add another spawn point. Move the objective further away. Play the game competitively. Try a different set of boards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.