Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
1 Posts

Summoner Wars» Forums » Variants

Subject: Raistlin's tweaks to rebalance some factions I consider too strong/weak rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Raistlin
Italy
Torino
Torino
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all I'd like to say that I consider Summoner Wars quite well balanced on the overall. There are 40 decks now and I can only imagine the hard work to balance so many, very different factions.

Anyway, after many plays, I came up with a list of little tweaks to improve the game experience. It's still a work in progress.
My objective is mostly to make weak/underpowered/overcosted/too situational Units and Events more interesting to play, trying to give choices to the player instead of the (sometimes) obvious 'put it in the Magic Pile'. Or, at least, this is particularly true for decks that really need some little help.
Anyway I changed also some cards I consider overpowered/unfair as they are, just to better balance them and the factions they belong to.

Note that I play only with the original base decks and all this thread is referred to base decks only.

NOTE: I will update this post periodically.

PRINCE ELIEN: Magic Drain changed into "Choose an opponent. Remove up to 2 cards from the top of that opponent's Magic Pile and place them into his Discard Pile."

GROGNACK: Freeze may be placed on Units within 3 spaces of Grognack

TORGAN: Torgan himself has his ability modified with "...after your Movement Phase..."; Crushers have 3 Life Points

OLDIN: Heroic Feat is only playable on Commons; Besiege the Walls targets only 3 opponent Walls; Magic Drain changed into "Choose an opponent. Remove up to 2 cards from the top of that opponent's Magic Pile. Put one of those cards into his Discard Pile and one into your Magic Pile."

BOLVI: Dwaf has 7 Life Points; Architects' ability added the following text on the bottom "If you do, you may move that Unit up to 1 space."; Strengthen Structures added the following text on the bottom "Place an Upgrade Event Card from any Discard Pile into your hand."; Accelerated Construction added the following text on the bottom "Place this card into your Magic Pile."; Destabilize changed into "Place 4 Wound Markers on each Wall that is on the Battlefield and is wounded. You may move all Units that you control that have the 'Built' Special Ability up to 1 space each."

SNEEKS: Blarf has 7 Life Points; Goblin Rush added the following text on the bottom "..., then you may attack with up to 2 of them."

FRICK: Dibs has 7 Life Points

SERA ELDWYN: Stalwart Archers get +1 Attack for each other friendly ranged Unit adjacent to them; Priests have 3 Life Points; Raechel Loveguard's cost reduced to 4; Archangel's cost reduced to 6; Divine Strength Event changed into "You may remove up to 1 Wound Marker from each Unit that you control."

SAMUEL FARTHEN: one Woeful Brother added to the Starting Setup card, under the other Woeful Brother (to improve the Strong Spirits Event); Valentina Stoutheart's cost reduced to 7; Sybil Swancott's cost reduced to 6

RET-TALUS: Skeletal Archers have their ability modified with "When this Skeletal Archer is destroyed, you choose to roll a die. ..."; Zombie Warriors can spawn other Zombie Warriors from any graveyard; Reapers have Attack 2; Forced Summon places only 1 wound on Summoner

MAD SIRIAN: Return of the Fallen changed into "Remove 1 Fallen Kingdom Champion from any Discard Pile and place it in your hand. Place this card into your Magic Pile."

JUNGLE ELVES: Chant of Life changed into "Choose 1 Summoner or Champion..."

VLOX: Dagger's cost reduced to 4; Assassinate costs only 1 Magic; Magic Drain changed into "Choose an opponent. Remove up to 2 cards from the top of that opponent's Magic Pile and place them on top of your Magic Pile."

JEXIK: Kyra's cost reduced to 5

THE FILTH: The Abomination's cost reduced to 6

MERCENARIES (RALLUL): Rallul, Rune Mages and Etch abilities trigger only on normal (9 Life Points) Walls

MERCENARIES (FARRAH): Undercover Agent last sentence changed into "You may look at the top 3 cards of your opponent's Draw Pile at any time." (permanent revealed hand was simply unfair; now the ability comboes with Inside Information)

SELUNDAR: one Swordsman (the left one) removed from the Starting Setup card; Malidala has 5 Life Points; Summon the Night added the following text on the bottom "Place this card into your Magic Pile."

TACULLU: Mimic added the following text on the bottom "If you do, place this card into your opponent's Magic Pile."; Magic Drain changed into "Choose an opponent. Remove up to 2 Unit cards from the top of that opponent's Discard Pile and place them on top of your Magic Pile."

SATUROS: Blood Drakes have 1 Life Point

SUNDERVED: Quen has 6 Life Points; Muster added the following text on the bottom "Place this card into your Magic Pile."

MALENATAR: Kadros's cost reduced to 6; Superior Execution added the following text on the bottom "Place this card into your Magic Pile."

BRATH: Will of the Mother Gem added the following text on the bottom "Place the top card of your Discard Pile on top of your Draw Pile."

SHIVA: Haku's cost reduced to 6; Animate added the following text on the bottom "Then you may attack with 1 Puppet you control. You may attack only Common or Champion Units in this way."

SCRAVEN: Sand Drake's cost reduced to 5; Send Out added the following text on the bottom "...and you may place this card into your Magic Pile."; Barrage added the following text on the bottom "Summon up to 2 Common Units without paying their Summon Cost."

NATAZGA: Sklursh's cost reduced to 6; Battle Champion added the following text before its normal text "This card is not played during your Event Phase. Instead, play this card immediately after your opponent's Draw Phase."

ENDRICH: Owl Gryphon's cost reduced to 5; Teleport added the following text on the bottom "Search your Draw Pile or your Discard Pile for a Deep Bender Event. Reveal the card, then place the card in your hand. If you searched through your Draw Pile, reshuffle it."

MAREK: Hunters have 2 Life Points; Bauble has 5 Life Points

MOYRA SKYLARK: Korbolden's cost reduced to 5

MELUNDAK: Shamans' cost reduced to 1

HOGAR: this is the worst deck of all in my opinion, for game design and for inconsistency. Hogar's deck is so weak to be quite unplayable - or anyway simply not fun to play - so I adopted a more drastic tweak for it, but without changing its original mechanic nor tweaking too many cards.
Simply, his Rules Card now reads as follows:
"Some cards in this set refer to "Rune Events". A Rune Event is an Event Card with the word "Rune" in the name. Rune Events are placed under Units per the text of the card. You may have no more than 2 Rune Events under a Unit. At the start of your Event Phase, if there are three or more Rune Events in your Discard Pile, you may place one of them on top of your Draw Pile."
The underlined part is the text portion I changed. I opened a thread in the Alliances Master Set entry about these changes, where I explain my choices:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1336600/balancing-tundra-gu...

In addition to the Rules Card tweak, I also changed: Raldag's cost reduced to 4; Vognar's cost reduced to 6; Hailstorm added the following text on the bottom "...with 9 starting Life Points."
Now the deck works and seems to be quite balanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.