Tonichi Sanvictores
Philippines
Marikina City
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm currently fleshing out an idea for a game based on an ancient writing system (which uses syllables [like in Japanese], not letter-sounds [like in English]). The theme is naming creatures/nature at the dawn of creation.

I'm leaning towards having the syllables represented by cards, then collecting sets to match creature/nature cards currently in the play area. For example, there would be syllable cards with "ri" and "ver" (among others) dealt to form players' hands. Then a "river" card would be available in the center. The player could turn in the "ri" and "ver" cards to claim the "river" card (and presumably victory points).

It seems like there could be a game there but I'd like to ask for some ideas on how to make it more ... meaty and interesting.

Ideas I am considering:

- Market mechanic like Ascension: Deckbuilding Game / Star Realms
- Card swapping like in Hearts (the classic card game)
- "Loading" cards like in Smash Up (this one I actually like)

Any ideas to make it more interesting?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you haven't already, take a long look at the mechanics behind Paperback.

It probably does a lot of what you are looking for -- using cards to assemble words (fantasy syllables for you, letters for Paperback), and providing points for doing so. It has a number of mechanics that impact how you choose to exhaust your cards to produce the results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tonichi Sanvictores
Philippines
Marikina City
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hestiansun wrote:

It probably does a lot of what you are looking for -- using cards to assemble words (fantasy syllables for you, letters for Paperback), and providing points for doing so. It has a number of mechanics that impact how you choose to exhaust your cards to produce the results.

When I tried to read the rules of Paperback, my eyes glossed over most of it. All I could think of was that it was basically a deckbuilder that used letters instead of the usual power/health/attack cards.

Perhaps a viewing of Watch It Played would be in order.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CryWolf wrote:
hestiansun wrote:

When I tried to read the rules of Paperback, my eyes glossed over most of it. All I could think of was that it was basically a deckbuilder that used letters instead of the usual power/health/attack cards.

Perhaps a viewing of Watch It Played would be in order.

Thanks.

I haven't read the rules, but mostly because I picked it up and figured it out from the cards alone based around a familiarity with Dominion.

I can summarize very easily:

Each card has a coin value and potentially an action as well.
You play cards from your hand to form a word.
You add up the coin value of all of the cards that you use in your word, and take whatever actions those cards provide.
You use the coins to buy new cards from a common market tableau which allow you to make better words and buy more expensive cards.
Some cards are worth victory points at the end of the game.
Whoever assembles the most VP at the end of the game wins.

Based around your comment, it sounds like you are thinking of it more like a Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game style deck builder (with attack and health and such). That is not at all what it is like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you really need meat? Adding complexity to a game is a great way to kill it.

If the game works... playtest it. Maybe you'll get some ideas from playtesters (certainly anyone reading this thread hasn't played the game), maybe you'll end up with a light filler.

Maybe you could add more to the game by having the words progress in difficulty, rather than modifying the rules.

The theme sounds like it would work with a simple ruleset.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.