Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rico Cordova
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
For anyone who has played with the Merchant Expansion. Did you ever use it? We've played 2 games now and not once was anyone tempted to use it based on how we understand it to work.

The idea is that a player can place production cards/seeds on the merchant card. At that time the cards/seeds are available for another player to purchase during another one of their worker actions (in addition to).

We never found any value to this. The level one goods are cheaper from the black market. Granted you don't have to exhaust a worker action to obtain it. If your intent is to fulfill a city card or objective then it might be worth it. If you need level two goods you will save 1 gold and give your opponent 4. That is a net lose of more than the 5 it would cost to normally gain a level two good. That isn't worth it.

Nobody would sell a level two good at the merchant because they are worth a great deal more on the black market.

We were playing a 2 player game and I think there might be more value to these cards in a 4+ player game - where the locations are getting used up more often. Can someone verify this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dany Houart
Belgium
flag msg tools
I think that this expansion is useful with 3+ players, when you need a ressource or good, and other players took one of the two wheels on the boardgame. If you need a particular good or ressource, then you have to pay....

We haven't tried this expansion yet, but I think that we will use it at our next play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.