Tiny Epic Quest» Forums » Rules

Subject: Some Tiny Epic Questions after fiddling with the P&P rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Waller
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for posting the P&P, it has been really great to finally fill in the blanks to what I've been able to puzzle together from the various previews and in-game shots of the prototype. Really intrigued by the rules, this seems poised to be a thoroughly solid game! And the mind-blowingly awesome artwork and just-revealed itemeeples don't hurt one bit...

Anyhow, after a first session fiddling with the P&P, there were a few points which weren't clear to me:

1) When you get an extra move from quest/location effect, is that a "full" move that can trigger (new) quest solvings?
2) Does an aggroed goblin regain full health, or should you take care to keep orientation as you flip him back and forth?
3) Is damage distributed to all players, or just those with heroes at live goblins?
4) All items are given to a single hero, but some items don't care which hero is holding them, is that correct?
5) For "pattern" quests, is it correct that it never matters if a hero is on the left or right section of a space?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Almes
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi David! To answer your questions:

1) Bonus actions can be used to complete other quests.

2) An aggressive goblin will start at full health when it's engaged in combat. So no need to worry about the orientation.

3) Damage is given to all players. Thematically, there are the goblins everywhere causing trouble - in the temples, across the lands, at the spell locations. The goblin tokens are concentrated bands of goblins trying to get through the portal!

4) There is an item or two that don't matter what hero is holding them. (Like the Shield) Item abilities aren't completely final yet, so some abilities are subject to be tweaked slightly. But, the majority of them will relate only to the hero that are holding them.

5) That is correct. For a pattern quest, they can be on the right or left section of the map card.

Hope those help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Waller
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Super, thanks a bunch for the quick answers!

And congratulations again on a really cool design. Can't wait to get some actual plays done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Waller
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few more that popped up:

6) Is it correct that the player picking a new transportation card can opt not to use it, and gain the +1 power and health for passing like the followers can?
7) The rules state both that the 1st player marker is rotated clockwise and that it is given to whoever passes last during the night. I guess the latter is a later addition and therefore correct?
8) Just to be sure: if the magic track allows 2 or 3 spells, would it be ok to advance 1 spell step?
9) The gameplay overview says that the game end is triggered by killing all monsters or closing the portal, but the rules says it simply ends after 5 rounds. The lack of details for the former make me think the correct rule is the latter?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.GamelynGames.com
badge
www.GamelynGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey David,

6) No, they can take the movement or do nothing.
7) Given to whoever passes last during the night.
8) Yes
9) 5 rounds, or there are no more Goblin tokens on the map or in the general supply, or a player has learned the very last spell.

I'm uploading a new rulebook with these clarifications.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Almes
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
6) You can pick it and not use it, but you cannot "pass" and gain the power and health.
7) It's the last to rest. That's a recent addition, and we'll get it corrected.
8) Yup, that's fine. But maybe you shouldn't have played it so safe
9) 5 Rounds is the main trigger. But the game can end earlier if a player finishes the spell track or the goblins runout.

EDIT: Darnit, ninja'd by Mr. Coe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Waller
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Super, thanks again guys!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Waller
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's another trio;

10) In his runthrough, Rahdo used the torches/maps provided by the rollTheDiceAndAdvance mushroom village as wildcards, ie using a torch to advance in a map dungeon and vice versa. Is that really the intention of the rule?
11) The moveOneOtherHeroThreeSteps mushroom village: when exactly does that happen? Do I resolve quests before, meaning I could solve two quests in one turn, or is the extra move immediate and quest resolution comes after?
12) When exactly can I use the wand to pay for extra magic? Specifically, can I do it immediately after the dice have been rolled but before resolution has begun?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It wasn't a rock
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rahdo did a TEQ runthrough? Is there a link? I can't find it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Waller
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RockLobster wrote:
Rahdo did a TEQ runthrough? Is there a link? I can't find it...

It was linked in the Kickstarter preview that Michael posted somewhere (twitter and/or facebook). Probably won't be publicly listed before the Kickstarter launch tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Waller
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
13) For the bonus 3-step move which "cannot pass through other players". Does it still hold true that left or right never matters? Boiling the ambiguity down: there is a unit belonging to another player on the right side of the card that is to the left of the unit I want to move. Can I move to the left side on that card?

_________ _________ _________ O = other location
| : | : | : | T = target location
| : O | T : E | : M | E = "enemy" unit
|____:____|____:____|____:____| M = my unit

It intuitively feels like I "pass" the enemy unit, yet as I understand the rule, I could move to the target location (T) but not proceed beyond that (O).

Or does left or right in fact matter in this specific case, allowing me to move to the same location as the enemy but not moving to either T or O?

A less ambiguous rule could be to forbid entering a card with other units at all, but that would of course in effect nerf the effect which likely isn't desirable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Almes
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
litendavid wrote:
Here's another trio;

10) In his runthrough, Rahdo used the torches/maps provided by the rollTheDiceAndAdvance mushroom village as wildcards, ie using a torch to advance in a map dungeon and vice versa. Is that really the intention of the rule?
11) The moveOneOtherHeroThreeSteps mushroom village: when exactly does that happen? Do I resolve quests before, meaning I could solve two quests in one turn, or is the extra move immediate and quest resolution comes after?
12) When exactly can I use the wand to pay for extra magic? Specifically, can I do it immediately after the dice have been rolled but before resolution has begun?

10) The symbols are not wildcards. The Maps will advance you in a map temple, and the Torches will advance you in a torch temple.
11) If you complete a quest when you land on this mushroom village, you can collect the quest then. (It would be considered the end of a movement) It's possible to then move another meeple 3 spaces, and where they land will complete another quest. Haven't seen this happen yet - but it would make quite the clever play!
12) You pay for the extra magic when you choose to rest. That's when spells are fulfilled. It's worth noting that the extra magic will only count for you, and not the other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Almes
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
litendavid wrote:
13) For the bonus 3-step move which "cannot pass through other players". Does it still hold true that left or right never matters? Boiling the ambiguity down: there is a unit belonging to another player on the right side of the card that is to the left of the unit I want to move. Can I move to the left side on that card?

_________ _________ _________ O = other location
| : | : | : | T = target location
| : O | T : E | : M | E = "enemy" unit
|____:____|____:____|____:____| M = my unit

It intuitively feels like I "pass" the enemy unit, yet as I understand the rule, I could move to the target location (T) but not proceed beyond that (O).

Or does left or right in fact matter in this specific case, allowing me to move to the same location as the enemy but not moving to either T or O?

A less ambiguous rule could be to forbid entering a card with other units at all, but that would of course in effect nerf the effect which likely isn't desirable.

"Passing through" refers to entering a hero card with another player, no matter it is the left or right side. We'll make this more clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Waller
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a bunch yet again, Scott!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Almes
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
litendavid wrote:
Thanks a bunch yet again, Scott!

No problem! The rules are still a work in progress, so these quests help us iron out things that aren't clear
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Waller
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
14) The mushroom grotto that says "move the spell token up the spell track by 2" (in the P&P) - this refers to the communal magic level token, right? The language in the rules and cards isn't entirely consequent with the distinction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.GamelynGames.com
badge
www.GamelynGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
litendavid wrote:
14) The mushroom grotto that says "move the spell token up the spell track by 2" (in the P&P) - this refers to the communal magic level token, right? The language in the rules and cards isn't entirely consequent with the distinction.

Yes, it's referring to moving the magic token up the magic track by 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca Casu
Belgium
Ixelles
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On this a completely other question. Is the magic counter reset at each turn? In Rahdo's runthrough he left it there, but it hardly makes sense to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.GamelynGames.com
badge
www.GamelynGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
It resets each turn to the first spot on the track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Tried the PnP today, 2-player. Adding to the above:

12b) How does the wand/staff relate to a particular meeple? Does it have to be on one of your meeples learning a spell that turn? Or is it like the shield, where it doesn't matter who gets it?
15) The PnP rules specify a different order for dice resolution than JonGetsGames had in his playthrough; are the PnP rules up to date?

Comments
How much is the game supposed to scale with player count?
Pros with fewer players: magic level advances more slowly.
Cons: can't get free fists/maps/torches from the relative safety of 3rd/4th position. Fewer meeples on the board to flip goblins off of red; fewer quests cycling and greater likelihood that they stay static for the full day.

It was our first game so I'm sure we didn't play optimally (probably missed rules too), but with 2 players it always felt like we didn't have enough resources to accomplish anything. I got to use the sword once in our game, and no other items were used. 4 were earned total but 2 were on the last turn. It put a bit of a damper on things, since they're where most of the flavor comes from.

Thanks for making the PnP available!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Roesch
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hello!

I have one question for movement.
When I choose a card, can I move allmy heroes or just one?
I didn't see something obvious in the PNP.
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Mott
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread has been very helpful. Going to continue the numbering system as that helps a bunch.

16) In JonGetsGames playthrough, he says you must specify which item you are attempting to get as you enter the temple. However, I searched the PnP rules, and can not find that anywhere. In fact, It seems to me the PnP rules suggest that as you are resting and finishing a temple, you can count it for both your board items and any quest items you might have. Which way of playing is correct?

17) Also in JonGetsGames, when the magic track is in the 3rd section, he rolled one Goblin symbol which meant taking 3 damage. He spent 2 power to reduce the damage to 2. However, as I read the rules, it feel like the 2 power would negate the die roll entirely, regardless of the magic track position. Which is correct?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Mott
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arsenus wrote:
Hello!

I have one question for movement.
When I choose a card, can I move allmy heroes or just one?
I didn't see something obvious in the PNP.
Thanks

(unofficial answer, but videos and rules all agree on this one)

It is just one hero per movement card. It doesn't matter if you picked the movement or an opponent, but each time you select a single hero (meeple) to do the movement (or not, it is optional to move).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clanggedin Silverbeard
United States
SALEM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Naga02 wrote:
This thread has been very helpful. Going to continue the numbering system as that helps a bunch.

16) In JonGetsGames playthrough, he says you must specify which item you are attempting to get as you enter the temple. However, I searched the PnP rules, and can not find that anywhere. In fact, It seems to me the PnP rules suggest that as you are resting and finishing a temple, you can count it for both your board items and any quest items you might have. Which way of playing is correct?

You can complete multiple quests at the same time in a temple. You don't need to announce which quest you are completing. In a previous thread this is clarified.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Almes
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Naga02 wrote:

17) Also in JonGetsGames, when the magic track is in the 3rd section, he rolled one Goblin symbol which meant taking 3 damage. He spent 2 power to reduce the damage to 2. However, as I read the rules, it feel like the 2 power would negate the die roll entirely, regardless of the magic track position. Which is correct?

Thanks!

The two power will completely negate that goblin. One of the earlier rulesets had this missed, and I think that's what Jon was using. When you spend 2 power you stop the goblin die completely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.