James R. Gracen
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
SOUL STONES VARIANT
I came up with an idea for a variant the other day, and plan on incorporating it into our game which will take place at our Halloween Party this Friday, 10/28.

Question: During your past games did you have anyone stuck in a haunted room for an overly long amount of time? More than three rounds? We did. Our first game last year saw nine of the 13 people trapped in various Haunted rooms at one point. One player was trapped for over an hour. This variant incorporates Soul Stones as a way to free trapped players.

SETUP
Pull a +1, a +2, and a +3 Seal Card from the deck and remove them from the game. Pull a -1, a -3, and a -5 Demon Mark Card and place them face down in the Charm Circle. Place three stones or glass beads (or some other suitable token*) on top of the face down Demon Mark Cards.

EFFECT
Part 1) The Soul Stones will reside in the Charm Circle until needed. If anyone has been stuck in a Haunted room for three or more rounds, the Leader can decide to use a Soul Stone on that room. They will give the Soul Stone to a player (himself or another) at the time when they assign players to rooms. That player may then use it to automatically break the Haunt and free all players who have been stuck in that room.

Here's the catch though, each time a Soul Stone is used to break a Haunt, flip the smallest Demon Mark card remaining in the pile beneath the Soul Stones and add it to the Charm Circle.

Part 2, optional) The rescued players from the Haunted Room have a chance to cleanse (and discard) the Demon Mark. Once the rescued players return to the Home Room, they may each choose one card from their hands to simultaneously reveal. They can choose any card they wish from the six types of cards (so Demon Players can still be sneaky here), but if the net total value of [Seal Cards revealed] + [Demon Mark cards revealed] + [the Soul Stone Demon Mark card] is zero or positive, then the Soul Stone card is discarded. If the value is negative, then the Soul Stone card is added to the charm circle. The revealed cards are replaced in those player's hands, and are not discarded.

Hopefully I didn't lose you there. I don't think that would add much to the length of the game since it isn't likely to happen more than once or twice a game.

* Soul Stone Tokens: Look for light up bouncy balls from the dollar store... They fit the theme for us. I tend to use spooky halloween lights and flicker candles and such in the home room. Last year we made the charm circle out of four glow necklaces attached end to end bought from the dollar store.

You like? Ideas, or comments? Let me know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.