Hide
16 Posts

Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Are expansions worth it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
chris nelson
msg tools
I was just wondering if any of the expansions for SPDA are worth having now that the price is inflated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Fowle
United States
Walpole
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the Mission pack and the marine expansion. If you can get them for retail price, they add a little variety, which is nice. If the price is more then retail, I don't think they are worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Mann
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 with Kevin. I got both of those expansions together. If you are new to the base game, get space marines then mission pack. I had played the base game quite a bit when I picked them up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fenmar
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 with Kevin as well. The base game offers much replayability in itself with no need of any expansion.

That said, every expansion offers some interesting new feature.

- Space Marine Pack 1 introduces two novel teams. This expansion may help you starting playing with the base games because the two novel teams are very strong and helpful in most of situations (they reduce the variety of playing, however, because they have such destructive power that it becomes pretty obvious how to use them). Personally, I never play with them in the base game, although I have started accepting them when running against Tyranids.

- Tyranid is an important expansion in making the game harder. Half of the genestealers have deadly capacities (e.g., they flank your space marines upon spawning, attack twice or add a genestealer to the swarm). I am quite new to playing it, and at present I partially dislike the increase of randomness in the game (swarms were not much predictable earlier, and now they become even more; you will have always to be ready for additional firepower, and flanking overcoming). However, this expansion makes the game more interesting when the basic run starts becoming too easy.

- Deathwings are interesting in providing completely new mechanics to the game. I like how DA offers its flank to introducing novel strategies (see this thread for my attempt to introduce the Space Wolves as well). DWs play around storing and re-using support tokens. From what I know, they play well with 12 marines, but the difficulty of 3-team-games varies a lot depending on the selected team (Yellow team, for instance, is hughly useless in a 3-team game). I have played this only rarely but I am happy to have them in my collection when I will like to trying something alternative.

- Mission pack offers new terrains (a bit of variability), and new genestealers (they can easily be killed first). I think it is the less necessary expansion. If you want to have more variability on terrains, this is a good starting point. Buying the mission pack may help completing you collection, but I won't do that for more than its normal retail price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Johnny Hartman - Once in Every Life
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There isn't any objectively correct answer to what the expansions are worth. It depends on the individual's own situation: how much do you expect you'll play the game, how much disposable income you have, how much of a completionist you are, etc. I never had to make the decision because I bought all the expansions years ago, but I'm happy to have them and do use them all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Merritt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most likely they are not worth paying inflated prices. I managed to get all the expansions at retail cost, though with bit extra due to shipping costs and am happy to have them all now. Still, the base game is infinitely replayable to the point that the expansions are not necessary, just nice to have more options.

I think most people find the Tyranid expansion to be one of the better ones due to it increasing the difficulty. If you want a bit more variety in the missions, the Mission Pack 1 would be your best bet. If you keep getting your ass handed to you when you play, then the Marine Pack 1 may help you out. I haven't had a chance to look at the Deathwing expansion yet, so I can't comment on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's an interesting psychology at work here. People who weren't interested in buying the expansions at regular retail price are now suddenly seriously considering buying the expansions at 5x retail price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Merritt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:
There's an interesting psychology at work here. People who weren't interested in buying the expansions at regular retail price are now suddenly seriously considering buying the expansions at 5x retail price.

Yep. When something is readily available to people, they may not think anything of it. Threaten to take it away forever, though, and they MUST HAVE IT!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
COMaestro wrote:
Robrob wrote:

Yep. When something is readily available to people, they may not think anything of it. Threaten to take it away forever, though, and they MUST HAVE IT!

I've had the base game since its release, but forgotten I had it. Seeing it going out of print reminded me about it.

Found two expansions at retail and picked them up. Wouldn't have paid an inflated price, but might not have picked them up yet if they weren't going away ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
I own all of the expansions and I am loathe to part with any of them. The only expansion I could say that you will not miss is the Deathwing expansion. While the change in characters is nice, having the Mission Pack + Tyranids + Character Pack is much more solid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lazareth Minnelli
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I consider them all "must haves" and bought all of them around the time they were each released, years ago. Inflated prices? They suck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephane Guibord
Canada
Vaudreuil-dorion
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have them all but the Tyrannid one. Wish I could find it at a somewhat, reasonable price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Paltrineri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got really lucky and decided to buy all of these a little while ago, just a few weeks before the FF/GW split announcement. They are all nice and definitely add something to the game, but now that they are about $30 each on Amazon, I don't think they are particularly worth it. It's nice to have the variety, but they don't really change the game all that much. Just my two cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Tyler
United States
flag msg tools
I'm glad I got them, and have paid more than $100 for other games too, but can't really say for someone else. $100/a game is worth what it's worth to you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fenmar
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goldmonkee wrote:
I'm glad I got them, and have paid more than $100 for other games too, but can't really say for someone else. $100/a game is worth what it's worth to you

100$ shouldn't be a problem for someone called 'goldmonkee'...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am Abomination
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:

I did.

I didn't get the gamem when it was once available to me, before it went OOP, because I couldn't cope with the die and randomness.
I'm more mature now as a player, and play solitaire much more than back then. As such, it did make sense to me to purchase the game.

I purchased the expansions for much more than their retail price but much less than what I've seen on Amazon and all.

I deem them necessary. Replayability is important, the new teams (Deathwing) are fantastic, the Tyrannids are tough but fun and require more tactical depth. The missions are fun and spawning Brood Lords on the second card is amusing.

The least interesting was probably Space Marines because it adds only 2 teams. Wish there was more to it than just that.

I usually mix everything together and play the Tyrannids if I draw a Hive Lord as location 4. Otherwise I play Genestealers. I don't care for card backs when drawing mission cards.
I mix Deathwing with regular teams as well.

I like it a lot more that way than base game only! Glad I invested in expansions before they fetch a very high price!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.