$5.00
$15.00
$20.00
$30.00
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We used to have a few nuggets of good evidence based discussion on RSP. Now it seems that all the liberals know how to do is name call, bring up ad hominem fallacies, and make meme jokes. I haven't seen Chad lately maybe he was the only decent one. Kumitad and Darthhugo can't make an decent argument to save their life. Slater and the Dearloves have really fallen off their game. I'm starting to look for nuggets in Single Sentences, that's how bad it's gotten.

Come on guys you're boring me, I can go to facebook for this stuff.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, almost forgot she2. I'll throw her in with slater.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
they all started watching stefan molyneux videos
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the election. Too many people get hyper-partisan and circle the wagons, in all political persuasions.
9 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
single sentences wrote:
they all started watching stefan molyneux videos

Nice ad hominem. I tried to complement you. But I guess you're back to your old schtick.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ironcates wrote:
We used to have a few nuggets of good evidence based discussion on RSP. Now it seems that all the liberals know how to do is name call, bring up ad hominem fallacies, and make meme jokes. I haven't seen Chad lately maybe he was the only decent one. Kumitad and Darthhugo can't make an decent argument to save their life. Slater and the Dearloves have really fallen off their game. I'm starting to look for nuggets in Single Sentences, that's how bad it's gotten.

Come on guys you're boring me, I can go to facebook for this stuff.


By "meme jokes" you of course mean bringing up links to documents or news stories that disprove the latest weaponized horseshit your dragged out of whatever alt-right source you have been trolling. Sorry if actually having to answer facts bores you. Maybe you should stick to the Breitbart comment if this irritates you so much.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
ironcates wrote:
single sentences wrote:
they all started watching stefan molyneux videos

Nice ad hominem. I tried to complement you. But I guess you're back to your old schtick.

that was indeed a nice compliment - but im trying to save you from the molyneux cult and hope you havent defooed yet
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mb
Speaking for myself, putting in the effort to make a good post requires someone on the other side capable of having a discussion. The most prolific posters here, on all sides, tend to have trouble coming up with a second sentence in their post, let alone having an actual discussion.

The entire environment in RSP has degraded a bit, and the elections are partly to blame. Still, the occasional interesting discussion DOES happen.
37 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Venga2 wrote:
Speaking for myself, putting in the effort to make a good post requires someone on the other side capable of having a discussion. The most prolific posters here, on all sides, tend to have trouble coming with a second sentence in their post, let alone have an actual discussion.

The entire environment in RSP has degraded a bit, and the elections are partly to blame. Still, the occasional interesting discussion DOES happen.


I was just coming in to suggest this. When the right side of the argument got overrun by the mindless, those who wanted actual discussions bailed out. And that left room for the lefty equivalents of jeremy and The D to come in and take up the non-discussions.

The only thing we have now is the mindless "Gotcha!" spammers on the right seeing what they've been looking like for the last two years. Mirrors suck.
17 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They got old and became the next generation of crusty old republicans.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ironcates wrote:
We used to have a few nuggets of good evidence based discussion on RSP. Now it seems that all the liberals know how to do is name call, bring up ad hominem fallacies, and make meme jokes. I haven't seen Chad lately maybe he was the only decent one. Kumitad and Darthhugo can't make an decent argument to save their life. Slater and the Dearloves have really fallen off their game. I'm starting to look for nuggets in Single Sentences, that's how bad it's gotten.

Come on guys you're boring me, I can go to facebook for this stuff.


I haven't found many of the right wing posters here open to evidence based, thoughtful discussions. Little snarks, ad hominems, but hillary's, etc. seem to be more the standard.

If you want interesting, thoughtful discussions then start them and discuss in a thoughtful, interesting way inside them. Avoid engaging in insult fests and reposting thrice debunked right wing talking points.

Anyway... not our job to entertain you.


34 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ironcates wrote:
We used to have a few nuggets of good evidence based discussion on RSP. Now it seems that all the liberals know how to do is name call, bring up ad hominem fallacies, and make meme jokes. I haven't seen Chad lately maybe he was the only decent one. Kumitad and Darthhugo can't make an decent argument to save their life. Slater and the Dearloves have really fallen off their game. I'm starting to look for nuggets in Single Sentences, that's how bad it's gotten.

Come on guys you're boring me, I can go to facebook for this stuff.


Bring to the table, something worth discussing in a manner that is acceptable, and you will find that your efforts will be returned.

Swinging fists and words deserve swinging bats to the knees. I just am fighting the fight that is on the menu.

And as far as I can tell from your contributions, not one thing has been worthy of honest discussion. You're just a troll like Drewber, BJ, Jeremy, and Dashi. If you wanted honest discussion, you would open with that move.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
ironcates wrote:
We used to have a few nuggets of good evidence based discussion on RSP. Now it seems that all the liberals know how to do is name call, bring up ad hominem fallacies, and make meme jokes. I haven't seen Chad lately maybe he was the only decent one. Kumitad and Darthhugo can't make an decent argument to save their life. Slater and the Dearloves have really fallen off their game. I'm starting to look for nuggets in Single Sentences, that's how bad it's gotten.

Come on guys you're boring me, I can go to facebook for this stuff.


Bring to the table, something worth discussing in a manner that is acceptable, and you will find that your efforts will be returned.

Swinging fists and words deserve swinging bats to the knees. I just am fighting the fight that is on the menu.

And as far as I can tell from your contributions, not one thing has been worthy of honest discussion. You're just a troll like Drewber, BJ, Jeremy, and Dashi. If you wanted honest discussion, you would open with that move.


Your definition of troll is, someone who thinks differently than you.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ironcates wrote:
We used to have a few nuggets of good evidence based discussion on RSP. Now it seems that all the liberals know how to do is name call, bring up ad hominem fallacies, and make meme jokes. I haven't seen Chad lately maybe he was the only decent one. Kumitad and Darthhugo can't make an decent argument to save their life. Slater and the Dearloves have really fallen off their game. I'm starting to look for nuggets in Single Sentences, that's how bad it's gotten.

Come on guys you're boring me, I can go to facebook for this stuff.


Post a new thread offering something akin to a reasoned discussion and post in it offering point and counterpoint with references, and I'll take this thread seriously.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 8 27 Feb - 1 Mar 2015 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk Essex Games 27 Jul '15
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ironcates wrote:
We used to have a few nuggets of good evidence based discussion on RSP. Now it seems that all the liberals know how to do is name call, bring up ad hominem fallacies, and make meme jokes. I haven't seen Chad lately maybe he was the only decent one. Kumitad and Darthhugo can't make an decent argument to save their life. Slater and the Dearloves have really fallen off their game. I'm starting to look for nuggets in Single Sentences, that's how bad it's gotten.


The main problem here is that what we mostly have currently is US elections and trolling by people like Phate. There's occasional mileage in making comments whose main intended audience is not the poster but others, but that's appearing futile. The worst case is the US election, so I'd start by talking about anything else if you want a good discussion.

But since the US election continues to dominate, let's just say a few words about it. Though mostly, what's the point? RSP is full of Trump supporters who are utterly impervious to reason of any sort. At best they can point out problems with Clinton but fail to spot the massively more major problems with Trump. At worst, not even that.

What's really missing here (as I recently said in another thread) is intelligent conservatives (by US standards - by European standards the US political spectrum starts right of centre). They exist, they just are really keeping their heads down.

What I'd like to find in a politician is (not in order):
- A recognition that you need functioning businesses to create wealth.
- A consideration for everyone, not writing off anywhere from 20% to 99% of the population as unfit of consideration.
- A decent respect for human rights (again, everyone's).
- A respect for evidence, science and logic and that these beat what you'd like to be true, or your ideology.

If you know anyone who manages all four, let me know, because I haven't spotted anyone. Traditionally the first is a conservative position, the second and third are liberal positions and the fourth is universal. Today the first is weak, the second and third are under attack, and the fourth is even considered as a bad thing by too many.

(In the UK, the politician who springs to mind as trying to spin all four was Tony Blair. He recognised the first, but was over-swayed by the cult of the very rich. He let his chancellor have a bash at the second, though his heart was not with everyone. He had a mixed bag on the third. And he utterly failed on the fourth, most obviously over Iraq. David Cameron led a government that wrote off a significant chunk of the population. Teresa May has no proper respect for human rights and is about to massively hurt industry in making the worst fist of Brexit - something that happened because of failures of the second and fourth, and pandering to those rejecting the second. But Trump manages to fail all four - the nearest to a pass is the first, but failed property and casino businesses are not what we need.)

I'll be recommending the book I'm currently reading soon as in the space of the fourth point above. But I'll finish reading it first (I'm about 80% through it). There's even a games connection.



16 
 Thumb up
0.10
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dickie Crickets
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"You people are a bunch of fucking morons. Why don't you want to have thoughtful discussions with a sophisticated guy like me?"
42 
 Thumb up
0.12
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
ironcates wrote:
We used to have a few nuggets of good evidence based discussion on RSP. Now it seems that all the liberals know how to do is name call, bring up ad hominem fallacies, and make meme jokes. I haven't seen Chad lately maybe he was the only decent one. Kumitad and Darthhugo can't make an decent argument to save their life. Slater and the Dearloves have really fallen off their game. I'm starting to look for nuggets in Single Sentences, that's how bad it's gotten.

Come on guys you're boring me, I can go to facebook for this stuff.


Bring to the table, something worth discussing in a manner that is acceptable, and you will find that your efforts will be returned.

Swinging fists and words deserve swinging bats to the knees. I just am fighting the fight that is on the menu.

And as far as I can tell from your contributions, not one thing has been worthy of honest discussion. You're just a troll like Drewber, BJ, Jeremy, and Dashi. If you wanted honest discussion, you would open with that move.


Your definition of troll is, someone who thinks differently than you.


Wrong!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
ironcates wrote:
We used to have a few nuggets of good evidence based discussion on RSP. Now it seems that all the liberals know how to do is name call, bring up ad hominem fallacies, and make meme jokes. I haven't seen Chad lately maybe he was the only decent one. Kumitad and Darthhugo can't make an decent argument to save their life. Slater and the Dearloves have really fallen off their game. I'm starting to look for nuggets in Single Sentences, that's how bad it's gotten.

Come on guys you're boring me, I can go to facebook for this stuff.


Bring to the table, something worth discussing in a manner that is acceptable, and you will find that your efforts will be returned.

Swinging fists and words deserve swinging bats to the knees. I just am fighting the fight that is on the menu.

And as far as I can tell from your contributions, not one thing has been worthy of honest discussion. You're just a troll like Drewber, BJ, Jeremy, and Dashi. If you wanted honest discussion, you would open with that move.


Your definition of troll is, someone who thinks differently than you.


Wrong!


Oh, if YOU say so.... I believe you really.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 8 27 Feb - 1 Mar 2015 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk Essex Games 27 Jul '15
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
Your definition of troll is, someone who thinks differently than you.


Troll has had several definitions. I think the oldest (going back to Usenet days) was someone who'd prod the hornet's nest with a statement like "C is better than Lisp" (I did indicate old) and sit back and watch. The stirring up was the point. It's morphed a bit here to people who do actually care about their point, but they are anywhere from disingenuous to dishonest in how they present it. Classic example is the person coming in claiming to want to know more about (say) evolution, but actually only interested in pushing their evidence-free world view that denies evolution (and also doesn't understand it). Because that approach is usually coupled with cluelessness, yes, it may appear that troll and think differently are coupled. If by think differently you mean fail to think clearly at all.

(The popular press here have latched onto a different evolution of the word. People riling up responses not from opinions like "C is better than Lisp" but statements that are just racist, sexist, and any other unpleasant properties you care to add.)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The whole point of this topic, makes me realize that the context of the question completely ignores that this is a low-rent forum on a website dedicated to toys. You're searching for love in all the wrong places.

Maria Bamford captured the absurdity in this bit (forward to 2:46)

2 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
Your definition of troll is, someone who thinks differently than you.


Troll has had several definitions. I think the oldest (going back to Usenet days) was someone who'd prod the hornet's nest with a statement like "C is better than Lisp" (I did indicate old) and sit back and watch. The stirring up was the point. It's morphed a bit here to people who do actually care about their point, but they are anywhere from disingenuous to dishonest in how they present it. Classic example is the person coming in claiming to want to know more about (say) evolution, but actually only interested in pushing their evidence-free world view that denies evolution (and also doesn't understand it). Because that approach is usually coupled with cluelessness, yes, it may appear that troll and think differently are coupled. If by think differently you mean fail to think clearly at all.

(The popular press here have latched onto a different evolution of the word. People riling up responses not from opinions like "C is better than Lisp" but statements that are just racist, sexist, and any other unpleasant properties you care to add.)


Sighs, I know what a troll is.
Darthhugo, the pile of shit, is throwing around the term when he has no idea what a troll is.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
(shrug) It's the Internet. People who go to Internet bulletin boards looking for thoughtful, intelligent discussion are the same kind of people who go batshit crazy when McDonald's starts serving the McRib again.

I do find, however, quite a few thoughtful people here at RSP, and they are from all over the political spectrum. Part of it is tone -- as an example, Darth and Jer D tend to be a "bit" abrasive, but if you actually read what they say, they make good points more often than bad points. And to be fair, the entire fucking country lost its mind in 2008.
5 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
Dearlove wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
Your definition of troll is, someone who thinks differently than you.


Troll has had several definitions. I think the oldest (going back to Usenet days) was someone who'd prod the hornet's nest with a statement like "C is better than Lisp" (I did indicate old) and sit back and watch. The stirring up was the point. It's morphed a bit here to people who do actually care about their point, but they are anywhere from disingenuous to dishonest in how they present it. Classic example is the person coming in claiming to want to know more about (say) evolution, but actually only interested in pushing their evidence-free world view that denies evolution (and also doesn't understand it). Because that approach is usually coupled with cluelessness, yes, it may appear that troll and think differently are coupled. If by think differently you mean fail to think clearly at all.

(The popular press here have latched onto a different evolution of the word. People riling up responses not from opinions like "C is better than Lisp" but statements that are just racist, sexist, and any other unpleasant properties you care to add.)


Sighs, I know what a troll is.
Darthhugo, the pile of shit, is throwing around the term when he has no idea what a troll is.


Son, I have been around longer than you have been jerking off into your Mom's panties.

I know exactly what a troll is. You are a low-rent version of one.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
Sighs, I know what a troll is.
Darthhugo, the pile of shit, is throwing around the term when he has no idea what a troll is.


Son, I have been around longer than you have been jerking off into your Mom's panties.

I know exactly what a troll is. You are a low-rent version of one.



You're both trolls. Happy to help out.



12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 8 27 Feb - 1 Mar 2015 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk Essex Games 27 Jul '15
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ironcates wrote:
bring up ad hominem fallacies


There's been a great deal of misuse of this term recently.

Is poster X posts something clueless like "the earth is hollow" (*) it is not an ad hominem fallacy to say "X is clueless". If X now says "and baseball is better than cricket" it is an ad hominem fallacy to say that because X is clueless (he is) therefore cricket is better than baseball.

We do here have at least one example of a poster whose views on topic X are utterly, utterly Upney (**). But can say some sensible things on some other topics. We also have some who I've yet to spot saying anything that isn't trivial or wrong. But still the next thing they say might be right.

(*) Deliberately chosen as although we have some people here with pretty similarly clueless views, I don't think we have this one.

(**) London Underground joke. One stop beyond Barking.
7 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.