United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When sending off some games to Germany today, I was informed that one must now send all international mail by Airmail, Surface mail is no longer available from the US Post Office. Sorry guys!

John
Pittsburgh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Some more details in this thread
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't surprise me. Lately, the United States Postal "Service" has been less a "Service" and more a "Nuisance". Less about helping their customers, more about passing the buck and placing blame when something goes wrong.

(Granted, I have to admit bias due to extremely terrible service from the USPS in the past few years)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snowden Wyatt
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Joe Lansdale Rules!
mbmbmbmbmb
As a letter carrier for the past 11+ years, I have had a front-row seat to see how our organization has been managed (or mis-managed) into it's current state.

At our little weekly "stand-up" meetings, one of our old station managers used to say that "service is our only product"...

...my sotto-voice reply to that little gem was always "unfortunately, we're currently out of stock on that item".

It usually got a little chuckle out of the nearby carriers. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
upandawaygames.com
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It appears that job 1 there is to make the service self-supporting and I notice all kinds of things going on to support that. For example, if a package has even the tiniest excuse for being rejected, it will be rejected. Subtle encouragement to buy a box from the post office instead?
Don't see why the public mails can't be supported by our taxes. Is all this worth the misery?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Reynolds
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The post office attempted to compete with premier package courier services like FedEx, UPS and Airborne several years ago, and was doing not to bad. Then they split off into their own "corporation", and things went to hell.

Things I like:

Shipping costs for parcels are reasonable, and the delivery times aren't too bad.

Not hard to use.

I like the one price package, proving that you can really fit 10lbs of $#!@ into a 5 pound box if you are persistent.

I hate UPS with a passion, so using Imelda Marcos Mail or Fidel Castro Express is a better option for me.

My sister and brother-in-law work for the post office, and are useful and reasonable human beings. This is a higher ratio already than the people that work with me at a tech company I won't mention. *snicker* Ok, I'm exaggerating, but not by much.

Things I hate:

Tracking is useless. The package always shows up before they actually enter any useful data in the tracking database. Most of the time it isn't updated at all.

Insurance is misleading at best. Sure they will reimburse you the insured valued if you can prove they have lost your package. This takes a long time as there is a necessary waiting period. Damage to parcel contents AREN'T covered.

Well, first class mail just is like a slush fund. How many times must the stamp prices be raised before people just start using email for this stuff? I HATE having to keep 2c and 4c stamps around just in case the price went up. I hear that they are releasing these "everlasting gobstopper" stamps that will always be the proper value for first class mail, this helps if its true.

Noone seems to know the actual rules, including the postmasters (and myself). I get different answers for everything.

They won't accept handguns for mailing, and in fact, its a multiple felony if you bring one into the post office. Mailing rifles is possible, but confusing. I shoot alot and since its also a problem to carry these things on a plane (on your person, or in your cargo), this is lousy.

They haven't really modernized as far as mail options. Sure, they delved into the very fringes of email, but it hasn't gone anywhere since. The idea of registered email is a good idea, but there is so much more.

Anything except overnight really isn't guaranteed for any specific delivery date. Overnight isn't guaranteed for many locations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Woodard
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's what I don't quite understand...

Online ordering, eBay, etc., can only have INCREASED use of the USPS, right!?!? I mean, if I didn't sell on eBay as much as I do, my visits to the post office would be quite rare, but through this online only service, I am now a regular (first-name basis) at my local P.O.

And yet, prices have dramatically increased, services have been reduced, etc., etc.

Something just doesn't add up here...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Rosenthal
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Ogma wrote:

Something just doesn't add up here...

Quick answers before bed:

1) Although there's more shipping from stuff like eBay, I'm pretty sure (and perhaps someone knows for sure) that the USPS's overall service is down because of the rise of email and digital presentation of documents. There are more people shipping games, sure, but there are a lot fewer people having to ship a package of business documents across the country when they can just drop them into .pdf files.

2) At the same time Congress has been trying to make the USPS run self-sufficiently. The post office has always been subsidized by the government but recently the government has been subsidizing them less and less. In theory, it shouldn't be hard for the USPS to make a profit especially considering they still have a monopoly on door to door delivery, but in practice the transition from government subsidized to essentially private (in function, if not form) enterprise has been very difficult, and so the emphasis on cutting costs to encourage profitability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JOHN JENSEN
United States
HILLSBORO
WI
flag msg tools
Ask me about it!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
And yes, we have our senior Senator to blame for this pork. Just became the most senior Republican Senator evar he did. First elected in 1968, which was before I was born.

Oh, that's Sen. Ted "Tubes" Stevens, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Reynolds
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, another thing with these guys recently put holes in the bottom of my buckets.

I went there a few weeks ago and bought 100 39c stamps in a coil, sealed in a blisterpack. Noone said "rate increase soon" or "forever stamps soon" or anything. Nothing on the walls. I rarely watch tv, and don't read the newspaper. I didn't use any, because 100 stamps last me a year. So I figure, its not open, so they would exchange the postage + $2 for forever stamps. Nope! Have to buy 100 2c stamps. "But they are legal postage! Buy price gap stamps!" was their excuse. Sure, like they didn't burn 1000s of stamps when they went to the "forever" stamp. Like its a national currency or something here. Please, get over yourself PO.

I REALLY have a need to ship something that will cost $39.00 in a box literally covered with 39c first class postage stamps, just far enough apart so they have to be individually cancelled. Jackasses.

I need to figure more ways to completely avoid these servicebound morons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
USPS ISMGONE
msg tools
On May 14, 2007, the USPS dropped the international surface mail and all economy mail services as well as other mailing services. This elimination has affected millions already and we are taking action.

A petition has been created, please visit:
http://www.petitiononline.com/USPSISM/petition.html to sign it. I am the petition owner.

This elimination is severely going to and has already hurt humanitarian aid groups such as the Peace Corps, charities, religious groups, book companies that donate books to poorer countries, expatriates, students, especially those living overseas or foreign students living in the US, small businesses, Christmas shoppers, etc. This elimination is also going to have an environmental impact. For those who do choose to pay more for shipping everything will be going by air now instead of by sea.

Please support us by signing the petition and passing it to everyone in your group, organization, company or church who you think benefits from this service or who would like to see the service return.

We hope to raise awareness about this issue and force the US Postal Service to reverse their decision. We will also bring the US Congress into the picture.

Please spread the word!

Thank you in advance for your support.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jesus, this sounds worse than Sweden's postal service.

Each time I go to Japan, I have several errands to the post office. Once I heard an old man complain about the Japanese postal services were horrible. I seriously burst out laughing. Really, I did. I told the guy serving be that Japan's postal service is the hands down cheapest, best and most amazing postal service that I had experienced or even heard about. Ever. And I laughed the whole way home. I still laugh upon remembering. Complaining to the Japanese postal service?

The reason the guy complained? The postal service had contacted him regarding a parcel they had failed to deliver to him, as he was not home (you can specify the time you want the package delivered). He had then told them that he had bad hearing, and they should phone him upon arrival, as he couldn't hear the doorbell. They failed to do this, he didn't hear the doorbell and had to wait till the next day for his parcel.
That's like complaining to FFG that their components in games are completely whack horrible and useless. Why aren't the minis pre-painted, of metal? And with metal, I mean of course gold! And what's this cardboard, I want 3-D modelled stuff in painted wood! And I'm not paying more than $20 for Descent!

In my country, they'd have said: GET A LOUDER DOORBELL, FER CHRIST'S SAKE!

…seems like US postal service is equally service-less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.