Patrick Rael
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
badge
We see our role as essentially defensive in nature.
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m thinking about teaching a college-level history course that incorporates games centrally (we would focus on one game per week). So I’m looking for games that are historically very sound (not just a theme pasted onto an abstract), but can still be played in several hours. The conflicts can come from any time or place, though my preference is for non-obscure topics that fit into the basic contours of Western history from the Middle Ages to the present.

For example, I just played the COIN game Liberty or Death. It’s playable in a long afternoon, and does a beautiful job of setting up the asymmetrical architecture of the American Revolution. I can assign reading around it, and we can assess the game’s capacity to actually teach its topic. In contrast, Diplomacy is an awesome game, but is too ahistorical to teach anything about European diplomacy in the first decade (and it takes forever).

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
prael wrote:
I’m thinking about teaching a college-level history course that incorporates games centrally (we would focus on one game per week). So I’m looking for games that are historically very sound (not just a theme pasted onto an abstract), but can still be played in several hours. The conflicts can come from any time or place, though my preference is for non-obscure topics that fit into the basic contours of Western history from the Middle Ages to the present.

For example, I just played the COIN game Liberty or Death. It’s playable in a long afternoon, and does a beautiful job of setting up the asymmetrical architecture of the American Revolution. I can assign reading around it, and we can assess the game’s capacity to actually teach its topic. In contrast, Diplomacy is an awesome game, but is too ahistorical to teach anything about European diplomacy in the first decade (and it takes forever).

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Can you provide a list of games that you have considered, so the scope can be defined?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Rael
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks. i wish i could nail it down a little. let me try.
i'm looking for games that might actually teach something about history -- not just a battle, but history. i'm looking for games that are sufficiently historical that secondary scholarship has been published around their topics. i'm not looking for close battle simulations, unless they are exceptional in somehow speaking to broader points. i don't have a specific example here, but scale is part of the issue: a close examination or Rorke's Drift wouldn't be as interesting as a game that captures something important about the Zulu War.

neither do candidates have to be oriented around battles or war. Freedom: The Underground Railroad would be a good candidate.

hope that helps a little.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
There is that: Machiavelli; and perhaps "Origins of: WW1, WW2, Pacific", "Colonial Diplomacy"? "Pax Brittanica"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An example you may have considered is 1775: Rebellion. The faction cards each portray a moment that had a turning effect on history. Each faction's dice represent characteristics of the various fighting groups (for example, Redcoats never fled a battle, but volunteers often did). Native Americans were drawn into alliances on both sides.

Twilight Struggle is an obvious example, as it captures the breadth of the Cold War and nuances of things like DEFCON and the space race.

Perhaps new titles like 13 Days: The Cuban Missile Crisis or Sola Fide: The Reformation are worth considering, though I haven't played them yet and cannot give a perspective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Rael
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mach i see as right on the edge -- probably too abstract. i've seen Dunnigan's Origins games used, but also pretty abstract.

"Liberty or Death" is an incredible example because it is so clearly built around a historical situation, and reflects real research, but does not take forever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom B.
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would recommend the Quartermaster General game series (WW2 is available and WW1 is being kickstarted)

Pax Pamir is very interesting too, but maybe a bit too obscure for your goal. It goes beyond purely military operations in describing the vying for influence and power.

For games about history but not wars, you should have a look at Wir sind das Volk!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
But the drumbeat strains of the night remain in the rhythm of the newborn day.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Warriors of God is Medieval Britain and France, covering the machinations of Henry II/Eleanor, and the 100 Years War. There's plenty of reading material you can assign associated with the era, including Tuchman's masterpiece. The game focuses on the leaders of the era more than particular battles or tactics of the time. Joan of Arc makes quite an appearance.

The map itself is worthy of an afternoon's discussion, as "France" is broken into 20 or so pieces, each with different alliances due to the intermingling of the royal lines. It's also gorgeous.

The scope is pretty broad, but it speaks to the timeline and succession of each of the Royal lines. A full game runs about three hours, rules are relatively straightforward once you've gotten through the first two turns. There are nods to the nature of warfare at the time, social structure, economics, but that's just brushed upon by the game, so you would need to speak to the topics in order for them to appear to first-time players.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
prael wrote:
i'm looking for games that might actually teach something about history -- not just a battle, but history. i'm looking for games that are sufficiently historical that secondary scholarship has been published around their topics. i'm not looking for close battle simulations, unless they are exceptional in somehow speaking to broader points. i don't have a specific example here, but scale is part of the issue: a close examination or Rorke's Drift wouldn't be as interesting as a game that captures something important about the Zulu War.

neither do candidates have to be oriented around battles or war. Freedom: The Underground Railroad would be a good candidate.

What about Here I Stand

or

Virgin Queen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Here I Stand was my first thought.

The Napoleonic Wars (Second Edition) or Age of Napoleon for Nappy's time, though both are OOP, and rather complex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
United States
State of Mind
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2 de Mayo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Rael
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i'm drooling. please keep them coming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
United States
State of Mind
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1960: The Making of the President
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StercusCaput wrote:

This was on my short list, and an excellent historical primer for that period of time in the US.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
prael wrote:

Thanks, because that helps a lot. There are many wargames, ala The Russian Campaign that focus on very narrow scopes of history and are more wargames in their play, than historical lessons. That isn't to say that their accompanying designer notes and referenced historical materials aren't informative, they just don't deliver an in depth lesson like others mentioned in the thread so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Churchill
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Demento
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Founding Fathers could work given the use of unique abilities on cards it would allow for a wide variety of readings. It might be too abstract but it never hurts to recommend something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
+1 to Here I Stand and Virgin Queen
+1 to Wir sind das Volk
+1 to most card-driven wargames, since the cards draw directly upon events, and leads to a lot of discussion about the relative importance of events, how the sequence of their play differed from history and affected the outcome, etc.

Maria and Friedrich have probably done the most to inspire me to read about 18th century European conflicts that I didn't know much about.

Earlier than Middle Ages, but Britannia and Sword of Rome have also inspired a lot of research. Other games in the Britannia system like Italia and Hispania would likely do the same if I'd played them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(I used this answer in the Recommendation thread as well)

You can also include:

Civilization
Source of the Nile, or Terra Incognita (a PnP)
Revolution: The Dutch Revolt 1568-1648

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Robertson
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you including any games that aren't conflicts (battles and great people)?

Conquest of Paradise (ok conflict :-) )

Brass: Lancashire

I'd also wonder about having an alternate week with something like Agricola - but with ~preselected roles/ improvements to a) be slightly more realistic b) intentionally unbalanced

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brown
United Kingdom
Stockport
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Maybe not your subject but GMT's Unhappy King Charles is like playing history.

Takes about 2-3 hours once you are up and running with the rules and not much downtime

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Byrd
United States
Griffin
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It will not KS until next year, but 1066, Tears To Many Mothers uses actual events in history to drive the narrative (from a historical standpoint), but the actions taken by the players makes it an alternate history game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Freedom: underground railroad, is a good euro with a real theme, not just pasted on. It will be hard to find that in a typical euro. Maybe Pandemic Iberia has real history under the skin. Martin Wallace is driven to make his hybrids from British history. Brass, Tinners trail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Moore
United States
Salem
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you looked into Reacting to the Past at all? It's a role-playing classroom alternative that I use with my college students. Not exactly what you're looking for here, but maybe applicable. Threshold of Democracy, 403 BC Athens is probably the easiest to use as a one-off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Rael
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks, Robert. yea, in fact i'm teaching a Reacting class soon. in this instance, though, i'm thinking about a course that includes games themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.