BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: No Engine Braking [HiveMind] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was driving through some small towns on the way home yesterday. In two or three of them I saw road warning signs: "No Engine Braking - by city ordinance." What does this mean? When I slow down, I have to use my brakes? I can't take my foot off the accelerator and coast? Any reason for this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Society of Watchers
United States
Killbuck
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Engine Braking or Jake Braking is when you downshift to a lower gear to slow down. Semis often do this. However, it is rather noisy for them and so many towns make it illegal to do it within town limits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
It mean that trucks can't decelerate by putting the engine into low gear. This makes a lot of noise, and it is usually noise complaints that leads to those signs.

I engine brake all the time, even when I see those signs. My 1.6L engine makes so little noise when I engine brake that you'd have trouble hearing it from across the road.

Edit: Damn, ninja'd by less than a minute. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hamzy
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Ace race, baby!
badge
I, for one, welcome your mouse pointer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Big trucks make a lot of noise if they downshift to a lower gear to slow down. Those signs are all around here also. Clearly they don't care about when I take a corner and downshift into second to get my RPMs above 4k... devil

I downshift into first in parking lots so that people can hear me if they seem to not be paying attention. Yes, pedestrians have right of way, but I want both sides to be aware of each other...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
I engine brake all the time, even when I see those signs.

You rebel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John James
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mileser wrote:
Engine Braking or Jake Braking is when you downshift to a lower gear to slow down. Semis often do this. However, it is rather noisy for them and so many towns make it illegal to do it within town limits.

Not exactly. Jake Brakes and Exhaust brakes effect the exhaust on a diesel cylinder head allowing some bypass or hindrance to slow the cranks rotation. Still the same noisy results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John James
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
I engine brake all the time, even when I see those signs. My 1.6L engine makes so little noise when I engine brake that you'd have trouble hearing it from across the road.

One thing to remember though, brakes are cheaper to replace than transmissions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
compression braking on diesel trucks doesn't necessarily involve downshifting, but the process of downshifting without throttle will engage the compression brake. They're always associated because they're done in unison to slow the truck without using the brakes as much.
Short version (it's obviously more complicated than this)is air in the cyclinder is allowed to escape the cyclinder head in order to bleed off energy in the system instead of transferring the energy back to the crankshaft. The released air is the noisy part of engine braking.
Excessive braking generates heat and brake fade and, with air brakes, loss of pressure in the air tank. Loss of pressure in the air tank will cause the brakes to lock up. Compression braking helps minimize this.

[edit: autocorrect had all sorts of issues!]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doomsword wrote:
wmshub wrote:

One thing to remember though, brakes are cheaper to replace than transmissions.

When you are engine braking, the transmission is locked in gear, not getting any real wear at all. If you're already going fast when you throw it into low gear, yeah that'll be hard on the transmission, so generally you should use this on a long hill by first using the brakes to get close to the speed you want, then putting the engine into (low) gear and riding that the rest of the way down the hill. This saves both brakes and transmission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Nothing happens for a reason, but everything happens by a mechanism
badge
Nitrogen Conservation Awareness: I pee in the yard
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Based upon my poor understanding of history, science, and ethics...
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
To add 2 cents: Engine braking is not downshifting, as pointed out.

Engine braking is loud. Truck drivers are theoretically taught not to do it in residential areas.

It's about as loud as a hot rod with a big engine and an obnoxious muffler. BUT only for a few seconds, while the hot rod is obnoxious all the time.

Old ladies in little towns need something to bitch about, and out of town truckers are an easy target.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
To add 2 cents: Engine braking is not downshifting, as pointed out.

H'mmm, if I read the wikipedia page properly, it is and it isn't. In a diesel engine, you can install a "jake brake" in the engine to let it act like a brake by opening up the exhaust valves at the right time. But then wikipedia says:
Quote:
Contrast a petrol engine, where the mechanics are different and a special valve is not necessary for engine braking to occur when the driver releases the accelerator. In a gasoline engine, when the accelerator is released, the throttle prevents the free flow of air into the cylinders, so there is little pressure to release at the top of the compression stroke. The closed throttle provides engine braking by forcing the engine to generate a vacuum between the throttle and the cylinders.

So if I read correctly, what I'm doing when I downshift and release the throttle *is* engine braking, but in a diesel engine they would need an extra mechanism and they don't necessarily have to downshift. (I don't really need to downshift either, but the lower the gear the harder the engine will brake, so usually I shift down to 2nd or 3rd when I want to do this).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Based upon my poor understanding of history, science, and ethics...
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
Truckers know that sign is directed at them. Cops know it too. That is what is important.

Downshift until your heart is content. That specific ordinance does not concern you unless you are driving something with more than 4 wheels.

It's like a sign that says "road closed. Local traffic only." Go ahead and visit grandma if she lives on the other side of the sign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Old ladies in little towns need something to bitch about, and out of town truckers are an easy target.

For a single trucker, the "no jake braking" sign seems annoying, "what harm does it do?" But for the person who lives near a spot where truckers are inclined to do that, it isn't one truck, it's many trucks, constantly.

Be nicer to the old ladies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Sandy Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Short, short version:this is for commercial trucks not you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.