Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle» Forums » Rules

Subject: Transfiguration Proficiency Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Armatage
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Does the Transfiguration Proficiency allow you to search your deck for one of the starting cards? I thought it would, but my friend disagreed. He argued that since the starting cards don't have a reputation value assigned to them, they can't be obtained through the effect of the Transfiguration Proficiency. You are able to search your deck for a card with a reputation value of 5 or less. I assumed this applied to starting cards because starting cards have a reputation value of 0. My friend argued that the starting cards do not have a reputation value of 0 and instead have no reputation value at all, which means they can't be obtained through the Transfiguration Proficiency.

What do you guys think? Is there any official ruling on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be nice to get an official ruling, but I agree that you should be able to pull starting cards. I think the purpose of the five cost limit is simply to prevent the ability from becoming overpowered. Start cards are weak relative to (almost) anything you can buy from the Hogwarts deck. I don't really see how you can leverage Transfiguration in combination with a starting card that would break the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Pickel

Dubuque
Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering some villains and events have you check for cards with a value of one or more, starting cards should be considered to have a value of zero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wolf
United States
Carlsbad
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mikeyangelo31 wrote:
Does the Transfiguration Proficiency allow you to search your deck for one of the starting cards? I thought it would, but my friend disagreed. He argued that since the starting cards don't have a reputation value assigned to them, they can't be obtained through the effect of the Transfiguration Proficiency. You are able to search your deck for a card with a reputation value of 5 or less. I assumed this applied to starting cards because starting cards have a reputation value of 0. My friend argued that the starting cards do not have a reputation value of 0 and instead have no reputation value at all, which means they can't be obtained through the Transfiguration Proficiency.

What do you guys think? Is there any official ruling on this?

Yes, you may Transfigure to get a starting card. They effectively have a value of zero, we just chose not to print a 0 value on the cards for aesthetic reasons.

Andrew Wolf
Game Designer - USAopoly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrod Babel
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to have an official ruling. But your friend is the type of gamer that gives gamers bad names. As others stated certain other cards have you look at the top card of your deck for value of one or less and since starting cards don't trigger those they would be valid targets for transfiguration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Armatage
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Awesome. Thanks for the reply, Andrew. It's really nice to have someone officially answering questions like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.