$20.00
Donatien Lacroix
msg tools
Last expansion from Mice&Mystics was more than two years ago!!!
For this game or any game, when could we think that a game is dead and there will not be any expansions? (except anniversary edition in 10 years?)

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A game is only dead when no one is playing it any more.
58 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not dead. It's resting.

Pete (thinks you'd better take care not to stun it)
25 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
It's not dead. It's resting.

Pete (thinks you'd better take care not to stun it)


Surely it's hibernating whistle
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Pasmeny
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
It's not dead. It's resting.

Pete (thinks you'd better take care not to stun it)


"It's pining for the fjords!"
31 
 Thumb up
1.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McMurray

Chickopee
Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bpasmeny wrote:
plezercruz wrote:
It's not dead. It's resting.

Pete (thinks you'd better take care not to stun it)


"It's pining for the fjords!"


When its HR has flat-lined.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John James
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Donatien wrote:
Last expansion from Mice&Mystics was more than two years ago!!!
For this game or any game, when could we think that a game is dead and there will not be any expansions? (except anniversary edition in 10 years?)


But Tail Feathers came out one year ago and the German version is scheduled to be released this month.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure what you mean by dead. Do you mean when they stop making expansions for it? If that's the standard... is a game which they have no intention of expanding dead the moment it is released?
21 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary guyton
United States
newberg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
Like Total War/Europa? Ummm, now.

Or yesterday.

Or a year ago.

Or...You get the idea.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of my favourite games have no expansions, are they dead?
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
I wish I could play more games.
badge
Collecting games is not playing games.
mbmbmbmbmb
When it is in it's coffin (box) of course...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donatien Lacroix
msg tools
Doomsword wrote:
Donatien wrote:
Last expansion from Mice&Mystics was more than two years ago!!!
For this game or any game, when could we think that a game is dead and there will not be any expansions? (except anniversary edition in 10 years?)


But Tail Feathers came out one year ago and the German version is scheduled to be released this month.


Tail feathers is a different game with no expansions. TF looked like a game that could have a lot of expansions, but after more than one year. Nothing!!!


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donatien Lacroix
msg tools
Thunkd wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean by dead. Do you mean when they stop making expansions for it? If that's the standard... is a game which they have no intention of expanding dead the moment it is released?

No question is for games with expansion (specially with some scenrios like M&M or Lord of the rings CCG).

When could we consider that there will no more expansions?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@OP: did you mean no longer "supported"?

I'm pretty sure Talisman & Forbidden Stars, as they are in their current state, are "DEAD" even though I'l be playing Talisman for the rest of my life!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
A year or so before manufacturing, in the case of wood and cardboard-based components, and millenia before manufacturing in the case of plastic components.
11 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
The word "dead" is related not to the games themselves, but more to their communities.

It's more often used for games where there is a competitive scene. If no more competitions are made for a game, the game is considered "dead".

As in: "the game is dead at my FLGS" or "the game is dead in my community"
As in: "not played anymore by the regular attendees"

Some games can have a strong community despite not having a strong competitive scene. Such as with Heroscape. When the Heroscape community dies completely, then the game can be considered "dead". This is again, relating to it's community and not the game itself, which is currently keeping the game "alive".

Mice & Mystics is a game that cannot "die", because there simply never was an active community around it.
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susie_Cat
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I've never played it, but isn't Mice and Mystics a scenario based game? Because if so, I'd have though it relies on the release of new scenarios to keep the game alive, No? In which case, perhaps the OP has a bit of a point...

Susie_Cat.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My guess is with PHG going to Z-Man and now Z-Man eventually going to Asmodee, additional content for M&M and Tail Feathers is on hold although I'm not sure how much stuff for M&M is really planned. Tail Feathers might not have sold as well as they had hoped either. Z-Man doesn't really keep even more popular stuff on hand, so I can see titles kind of sitting around and not being expanded.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Susie_Cat wrote:

I've never played it, but isn't Mice and Mystics a scenario based game? Because if so, I'd have though it relies on the release of new scenarios to keep the game alive, No? In which case, perhaps the OP has a bit of a point...

Susie_Cat.


It can be replayed indefinitely.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A game's not really dead, as long as we remember it.
1 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"32 inches of Plexi....for your pleasure"
mbmbmbmb
cornixt wrote:
A game is only dead when no one is playing it any more.


Define "any more"? I tracked my game plays a couple years ago, and found 30% of the games I played in that year I hadn't played in the 8 years prior.

Games don't die, they wait.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CalicoDave
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Games don't die, they wait.


"That is not dead which can eternal lie."
12 
 Thumb up
0.28
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susie_Cat
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deedob wrote:
Susie_Cat wrote:

I've never played it, but isn't Mice and Mystics a scenario based game? Because if so, I'd have though it relies on the release of new scenarios to keep the game alive, No? In which case, perhaps the OP has a bit of a point...

Susie_Cat.


It can be replayed indefinitely.


But would anyone want to? I mean, Risk Legacy* can be replayed indefinitely, but... Isn't it a bit like re-reading a book?

Susie_Cat.

* Not that I've played that either!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Susie_Cat wrote:
deedob wrote:
Susie_Cat wrote:

I've never played it, but isn't Mice and Mystics a scenario based game? Because if so, I'd have though it relies on the release of new scenarios to keep the game alive, No? In which case, perhaps the OP has a bit of a point...

Susie_Cat.


It can be replayed indefinitely.


But would anyone want to? I mean, Risk Legacy* can be replayed indefinitely, but... Isn't it a bit like re-reading a book?

Susie_Cat.

* Not that I've played that either!


i *LOVE* rereading books.

16 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susie_Cat
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

bop517 wrote:

i *LOVE* rereading books.


Actually, me too, but it does depend on the book...



Susie_Cat.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.