Hide
20 Posts

Mechs vs. Minions» Forums » Rules

Subject: Many questions regarding the boss rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
matt barnes
msg tools
We played through the first mission the boss is introduced the other night and we found ourselves having quite a few questions regarding how existing rules apply to the boss. I couldn't find any of these in the manual but forgive me if I overlooked something.

EDIT: Found some of the answers in the FAQs on their site:
Quote:
Boss Movement: The Boss stomps Minions flat if it moves onto them. Count these kills on the Minion Kill Tracker! Also, the Boss ignores Oil Slicks. And if the boss must move toward a certain player and two options are available, the first player gets to choose the route he takes—both directions are eligible as long as he’s moving closer.
I have updated my questions in the post with these answers.

1) We understand the boss takes up a 2x2 grid. How does this impact movement? When it says move the boss 1 space in a direction, do we move exactly one row / column forward, or do we move him rows/columns (so that he does not end up on a single square he was originally on)? We assumed the former.

2) How does the boss react to oil? We assumed not at all. If he is supposed to slide, does he slide if a certain portion of him is on it or a single square? Does he slide so that his entire base is off the oil or just the square that initially touched?

Quote:
A: Ignores Oil Slicks

3) How does the boss interact with minions? Does he squash them or just push them?

Quote:
A: Stomps them (and they count on minion kill tracker)

4) Does the boss ever change direction? It seemed like all of its moves and attacks are based on the rune die and have no relation to the direction he faces. Can we rotate him freely for thematic purpose or is is orientation important?

5) When a boss attack asks us to roll a rune die and select the player he moves to / attacks, how does this play out in a 2-3 player game? For example in a two player game we sit opposite one another (red/yellow). If the boss is supposed to attack to one of the sides where we are not seated (blue/green) do we simply ignore the attack (what we did) or do we need to assign all 4 colors to a player?

6) The boss had an attack where we role two number dice and have to swap those slots. What if the numbers are the same? Do we re-roll or do we simply ignore the attack as if he missed?

7) Can a schematic card hit the boss twice in one attack? Since the schematic attacks do not have colors associated with them and the rules say you can choose the color if my schematic attack effectively hits him twice (and he has two color shields down) can I count both? For example I was parked right next to him and my schematic says I attack the first target in each direction. He is in two directions, left and diagonal, can I legally hit twice? We assumed so.

8) What shape is his diagonal? Some attacks say to attack on a diagonal. Is it just a single line of blocks leading from his direct corner or should it be a thicker line since he is effectively bigger?

Overall we are really enjoying the game but we are finding we need a lot of clarifications regarding rules. Also disappointed that if I flip through the rule glossary I effectively spoil myself on upcoming features. Would have preferred that they went the Pandemic route and introduced stickers to add to the glossary as new features were introduced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't gotten this far yet, but I do know that most of your questions are answered on the FAQ at www.mechsvsminions.com .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt barnes
msg tools
Just found these myself too. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cantrell
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
barnesm999 wrote:

1) We understand the boss takes up a 2x2 grid. How does this impact movement? When it says move the boss 1 space in a direction, do we move exactly one row / column forward, or do we move him rows/columns (so that he does not end up on a single square he was originally on)? We assumed the former.

The former is correct. He moves one row/column per point of movement.

barnesm999 wrote:

2) How does the boss react to oil? We assumed not at all. If he is supposed to slide, does he slide if a certain portion of him is on it or a single square? Does he slide so that his entire base is off the oil or just the square that initially touched?

The boss is not affected by oil, lava, rune gates, or spiked walls.

barnesm999 wrote:

3) How does the boss interact with minions? Does he squash them or just push them?

He squashes them dead and then they're added to the Gear Tracker.

barnesm999 wrote:

4) Does the boss ever change direction? It seemed like all of its moves and attacks are based on the rune die and have no relation to the direction he faces. Can we rotate him freely for thematic purpose or is is orientation important?

Rotate him freely for thematic purposes.

barnesm999 wrote:

5) When a boss attack asks us to roll a rune die and select the player he moves to / attacks, how does this play out in a 2-3 player game? For example in a two player game we sit opposite one another (red/yellow). If the boss is supposed to attack to one of the sides where we are not seated (blue/green) do we simply ignore the attack (what we did) or do we need to assign all 4 colors to a player?

Assign all players one color (or two in a 2 player game) and reroll until a valid option has been rolled.

barnesm999 wrote:

6) The boss had an attack where we role two number dice and have to swap those slots. What if the numbers are the same? Do we re-roll or do we simply ignore the attack as if he missed?

He missed.

barnesm999 wrote:

7) Can a schematic card hit the boss twice in one attack? Since the schematic attacks do not have colors associated with them and the rules say you can choose the color if my schematic attack effectively hits him twice (and he has two color shields down) can I count both? For example I was parked right next to him and my schematic says I attack the first target in each direction. He is in two directions, left and diagonal, can I legally hit twice? We assumed so.

In this instance, yes, as long as two shields are down. Schematics can only be used once a turn.

barnesm999 wrote:

8) What shape is his diagonal? Some attacks say to attack on a diagonal. Is it just a single line of blocks leading from his direct corner or should it be a thicker line since he is effectively bigger?

It's a single line, like Cyclotron.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt barnes
msg tools
Thank you for the quick response!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Pearson
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
Loves Theme
badge
Des Moines Area Boardgamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great questions we had a lot of the same.

I have 1 final question and I am pretty sure I know the answer. He has a red attack that says it attack "at range". It covered up the main ability that just says adjacent.

If I look at all the other cards "at range" just means ALL the squares around the boss correct? And if it is range 2 its 2 layers around him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis Lee
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
Riot Kades wrote:

barnesm999 wrote:

In this instance, yes, as long as two shields are down. Schematics can only be used once a turn.

This seems like an important rule as it relates to reusable hack schematics like Hex Minefield and Rocket Jump. Is this found somewhere in the rule book?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gelleetin wrote:
This seems like an important rule as it relates to reusable hack schematics like Hex Minefield and Rocket Jump. Is this found somewhere in the rule book?

You mean the part about once per turn? It doesn't seem to be mentioned, although I agree it is important.

For example, without the rule, Tristana could use Rocket Jump both before and after executing her Command Line or even chain Rocket Jumps around the board. Ziggs could blow up minions on multiple colours of Rune Spaces if he draws damage between each one too.

While rereading the cards in question, I also wonder whether they can hit the Boss twice if two Shields are down... Hex Minefield hits 'all targets standing on Rune Spaces of a color' and Rocket Jump hits 'all targets within 1 range'.

Can the Boss count as two targets for these types of attacks? The specific case we got a ruling for was 'nearest target in every direction at any range'. That clearly allows the same target to be hit twice. The cards mentioning all targets may be treated differently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Chan
Canada
Richmond
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
Gelleetin wrote:

You mean the part about once per turn? It doesn't seem to be mentioned, although I agree it is important.

For example, without the rule, Tristana could use Rocket Jump both before and after executing her Command Line or even chain Rocket Jumps around the board. Ziggs could blow up minions on multiple colours of Rune Spaces if he draws damage between each one too.

While rereading the cards in question, I also wonder whether they can hit the Boss twice if two Shields are down... Hex Minefield hits 'all targets standing on Rune Spaces of a color' and Rocket Jump hits 'all targets within 1 range'.

Can the Boss count as two targets for these types of attacks? The specific case we got a ruling for was 'nearest target in every direction at any range'. That clearly allows the same target to be hit twice. The cards mentioning all targets may be treated differently.

The way we played, even though the command card or schematic card may attack within a range that may hit more than one area of the boss, it will still count as one hit.

We justified this as the shield pops back up as soon as the boss is hit with the corresponding color. Therefore, even though the command may hit the boss twice, the second hit will be nullified by the shield. For schematic cards, you will need to choose a colour before you executive the command, it doesn't make sense that you are able to attack once but have the effect of multiple colours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
snipes102 wrote:
Therefore, even though the command may hit the boss twice, the second hit will be nullified by the shield. For schematic cards, you will need to choose a colour before you executive the command, it doesn't make sense that you are able to attack once but have the effect of multiple colours.

Except that Chris explicitly stated that the Schematic that shoots in every direction can hit the Boss twice while two shields are down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Chan
Canada
Richmond
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
snipes102 wrote:
Therefore, even though the command may hit the boss twice, the second hit will be nullified by the shield. For schematic cards, you will need to choose a colour before you executive the command, it doesn't make sense that you are able to attack once but have the effect of multiple colours.

Except that Chris explicitly stated that the Schematic that shoots in every direction can hit the Boss twice while two shields are down.

Just to be clear, does this only apply to certain schematic cards (for example, tristana's Kaboom). What about Ziggs' schematic card which lets all mechs shoot firesplitter from behind? thematically, I think it should hit the boss once? (just to keep things simple, I am going to put this under my house rule that schematic cards will only hit the boss once but thanks for clarifying)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Warrender
United States
Rockaway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumb additional question, but the card that has you damage any Mech that is on the same tile as the Boss, at the beginning of the mission that would be all players, right? And if he's straddling 2 tiles, he's considered to be on both, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jerkules wrote:
Dumb additional question, but the card that has you damage any Mech that is on the same tile as the Boss, at the beginning of the mission that would be all players, right? And if he's straddling 2 tiles, he's considered to be on both, right?

Yes and yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario T
msg tools
mbmbmb
snipes102 wrote:
Clipper wrote:
snipes102 wrote:

Just to be clear, does this only apply to certain schematic cards (for example, tristana's Kaboom). What about Ziggs' schematic card which lets all mechs shoot firesplitter from behind? thematically, I think it should hit the boss once? (just to keep things simple, I am going to put this under my house rule that schematic cards will only hit the boss once but thanks for clarifying)

Only for schematics that are not linked to an element, in the case of Ziggs' it only upgrades the flamespitter but it's still a fire (red) attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Shunta
United States
Norton Shores
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you push and tow the boss?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jimb0v wrote:

No. This is mentioned in the Master Mech-anic guide under Boss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Shunta
United States
Norton Shores
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
runtsta wrote:
Jimb0v wrote:

Interesting. Just read that passage, clear as day no pushing. It doesn't actually say no towing explicitly, but that seems like a reasonable conclusion.

I had no idea the boss blocked the ripsaw command card, that was not in the mission write up. If I'm reading that right, it looks like ripsaw can't damage the boss even with the blue rune shield down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ripsaw can damage the Boss if the blue shield is down. It cannot damage Minions behind the Boss. Hence, the Boss blocks Ripsaw damage that isn't damaging itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario T
msg tools
mbmbmb
Jimb0v wrote:
runtsta wrote:
Jimb0v wrote:

Interesting. Just read that passage, clear as day no pushing. It doesn't actually say no towing explicitly, but that seems like a reasonable conclusion.

I had no idea the boss blocked the ripsaw command card, that was not in the mission write up. If I'm reading that right, it looks like ripsaw can't damage the boss even with the blue rune shield down.

I believe block in this case refers in the same case as any other mech or the bomb, but it can damage the boss, just you cant target a minion behind the boss with it, so even if you have a max level ripsaw, you can only hit the boss.

Minions also block ripsaw, it's just that they die when it hits them (i.e. you can't hit a target behind without hitting the front one first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Shunta
United States
Norton Shores
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.