$30.00
Germa Nicus
Germany
Göttingen
flag msg tools
Let's say I decide to keep a card with tentacles (madness) permanently at the end of the first round.

Since it is used in scoring, do I get madness for that card at the end of the second and third rounds as well? It is not clear in the rules text.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walts
Scotland
Kilwinning
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you receive a madness token for those rounds.

All cards are scored at the end of the round, regardless of whether u
choose it at the beginning of round 2 or 3.

Rules ...

After all 5 cards have been played and revealed, perform
the scoring steps in the following order:

Take one Madness token for each card you
have with the Madness icon

Round 2 is the same as the first round with the exception that you
start with 1 card already in play, and at the end of the round you
will score all 6 cards.

In Round 3, you will start with 2 cards in play and score all 7 cards.
There is no refresh phase in the third round

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most definitely.. I'd think that without that, it would be quite difficult to get to 9 madness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Germanicvs wrote:
Let's say I decide to keep a card with tentacles (madness) permanently at the end of the first round.

Bear in mind that Tides of Madness differs slightly from Tides of Time in one detail.

In Tides of Time, the card kept at the end of Round 1 is marked with a Relic token and is retained "for the remainder of the game." In particular, "at the end of the round [Round 2], players only take the cards played in Round 2 back into their hands while the Relic of the Past from Round 1 is left in their Kingdom."

In Tides of Madness, there are no Relic tokens. At the end of Round 2, you are allowed to take back into your hand the card you kept in play at the end of Round 1 (if you can even remember which one it was!).

Edit: this post was erroneous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think that's right. The rules say that in the Refresh phase, you "Take 5 cards you played this round back into your hand". This would exclude any cards that were kept from a previous round. I think the reason they didn't include relic tokens, or equivalent, was because they're not really necessary - you can easily remember which cards were kept from previous rounds in other ways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct.

The designer confirmed that here.

Sorry I missed that - I'll correct my earlier post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.