Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to have a thoughtful exchange regarding Hillary's email server. I've done some research regarding statements on both sides of the issue and I'm trying to locate facts rather than finger pointing and blame shifting. Maybe I don't know where to look.

My first question is this: If the Governmental agency you work for provides a secured system for your work related email traffic, what are some valid reasons for processing work related email outside of that secure system?

I know that sounds like a troll question, but if there is a non-nefarious reason, I'd like to know and understand it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm tired of hearing about her damn e-mails.

Trump has at least 20 scandals of more concern.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2016/jul/19/...

http://www.factcheck.org/2016/07/a-guide-to-clintons-emails/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure other than convenience of having only one account especially if you handle a crazy amount of email.

I have two accounts, one for professional stuff and one for personal stuff but my personal-stuff account only really handles the rare board game order. If I had multiple accounts each with a huge amount of email, I could imagine getting confused way more often than I already do.

There may be other good reasons (besides getting overwhelmed with email like I do) as there was a list of public officials that used their own email server including Colin Powell IIRC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
okiedokie wrote:
I'd like to have a thoughtful exchange regarding Hillary's email server. I've done some research regarding statements on both sides of the issue and I'm trying to locate facts rather than finger pointing and blame shifting. Maybe I don't know where to look.

My first question is this: If the Governmental agency you work for provides a secured system for your work related email traffic, what are some valid reasons for processing work related email outside of that secure system?

I know that sounds like a troll question, but if there is a non-nefarious reason, I'd like to know and understand it.

As sec state plausible denial of certain dealings contradictory to what people esp foreign leaders are saying publicly.

Government email possibly painfully antiquated.

In the first case they should use email anyway. Nor written communications where possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
okiedokie wrote:

State department did NOT provide it.
And there are ZERO valid reasons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
okiedokie wrote:

Thank you for your thoughtful contribution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:

I'm tired of hearing about her damn e-mails.

Trump has at least 20 scandals of more concern.

Well, then this thread is not for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
okiedokie wrote:

Where am I wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:

Thanks, these are good resources.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
okiedokie wrote:

Well, I know the State department didn't provide the server at her residence. I was referring to the State dept providing her with an email address and she refused to use it.

My understanding is that the server in question was set up for her prior Presidential campaign and she just started routing work email through it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
okiedokie wrote:

They really arent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Politifact is overrun with video ads, so you're correct there. Factcheck seems to be fairly even handed.

I'm willing to read whatever you'd like to provide.

I found a good timeline here:

https://sharylattkisson.com/hillary-clintons-email-the-defin...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The gov't email systems (and systems in general) were very antiquated. Clinton did a slightly different spin on a common(ie last few SoS had done something akin) work around.

Her ststed initial reason was that emails were linked to lrovided blackberry pbones, phones which would not process any more than one account (who uses blackberry anymore?) so that by using the provided servers if she wanted a lerson and 'work' email she would need to cart around 2 blackberries, keeping informstion in two places etc etc. She thiught it would be easier to use one phone for sll her email on the go, which has grown exponentially in the last decade as a part of business and life.

She's said in hindsight she wouldn't do it again because two blackberries is easier than 10 investigstions (paraphrasing)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I work in the private sector, so I have no idea about government e-mail systems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
The gov't email systems (and systems in general) were very antiquated. Clinton did a slightly different spin on a common(ie last few SoS had done something akin) work around.

Her ststed initial reason was that emails were linked to lrovided blackberry pbones, phones which would not process any more than one account (who uses blackberry anymore?) so that by using the provided servers if she wanted a lerson and 'work' email she would need to cart around 2 blackberries, keeping informstion in two places etc etc. She thiught it would be easier to use one phone for sll her email on the go, which has grown exponentially in the last decade as a part of business and life.

She's said in hindsight she wouldn't do it again because two blackberries is easier than 10 investigstions (paraphrasing)

I work for the Federal government and I don't know what is so antiquated about using Microsoft Outlook for email. I keep hearing how horrible the email service was, but I've not heard of specifics that would cause someone to bypass it.

poltifact wrote:

Did other secretaries of state use personal emails for government business?

The IG report confirmed what we had previously written: Among Clinton’s predecessors, only Colin Powell (Jan. 20, 2001–Jan. 26, 2005) used a personal email account for government business. Madeleine Albright (Jan. 23, 1997–Jan. 20, 2001) did not use email at all, and Condoleezza Rice (Jan. 26, 2005–Jan. 20, 2009) did not use a personal email account to conduct government business, the IG report said. Clinton’s successor, Secretary of State John Kerry, told the inspector general’s office that he “infrequently” used a personal email account for government business “when responding to a sender who emailed him on his personal account.”

No other secretary of state maintained a private server that was used for government business.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chengkai Yang
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
okiedokie wrote:
Shadrach wrote:

I work for the Federal government and I don't know what is so antiquated about using Microsoft Outlook for email. I keep hearing how horrible the email service was, but I've not heard of specifics that would cause someone to bypass it.

poltifact wrote:

The IG report confirmed what we had previously written: Among Clinton’s predecessors, only Colin Powell (Jan. 20, 2001–Jan. 26, 2005) used a personal email account for government business. Madeleine Albright (Jan. 23, 1997–Jan. 20, 2001) did not use email at all, and Condoleezza Rice (Jan. 26, 2005–Jan. 20, 2009) did not use a personal email account to conduct government business, the IG report said. Clinton’s successor, Secretary of State John Kerry, told the inspector general’s office that he “infrequently” used a personal email account for government business “when responding to a sender who emailed him on his personal account.”

No other secretary of state maintained a private server that was used for government business.

Ever use Lotus Notes? I did at one gig, 10 min in and I'd have done so. As for outlook, its likely dependent on performance. Repeated outages, slow processing, maybe some shit just keeps routing around forever because your admin sucks. Also depends on your overall AD admins as its all tied together. If the email sucks, the entire network likely has issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
okiedokie wrote:
[q="Shadrach"]The gov't email systems (and systems in general) were very antiquated. Clinton did a slightly different spin on a common(ie last few SoS had done something akin) work around.

poltifact]

[/q wrote:

I could have sworn there was a second SoS who used it. Maybe it was another official and I am misremembering. Though I will point out that Merry would most definitely say 'infrequently' is asked, as would anyone else with half a lick of sense right now, no matter what the truth.

Can you speak to emails being linked to a single phone or not in the State Dept?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the thing. Wasn't HRC's email server set up by the Secret Service? If it wasn't secure, why wasn't it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
Here's the thing. Wasn't HRC's email server set up by the Secret Service? If it wasn't secure, why wasn't it?

So she could evade FOIA...
She does what she wants?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:

Not sure why the Secret Service would set up an email server for a campaign. I've heard this brought up a few times but have not found anything to substantiate it.

One possible reason it wasn't secure is that it very difficult, if not impossible, to secure mobile devices. The state department had offered to set up a desktop unit for her emails, but she wanted mobile device access.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
okiedokie wrote:

Where am I wrong?

Where do I start. It's like the al smith dinner. Okie asks for a thoughtful discussion. You start out at "11" and don't provide any support for your opinion.

It's not even about whether you are right and wrong but your starting intensity and tone. And blasting an unsupported opinion isn't "thoughtful" either.

So, it's both extreme and thoughtless.

So how about.. dialing it back a notch. Getting some undisputed facts to base your conclusion on. Like read the two sites I posted and pull out the points that support your position.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
okiedokie wrote:

Where am I wrong?

Where do I start. It's like the al smith dinner. Okie asks for a thoughtful discussion. You start out at "11" and don't provide any support for your opinion.

It's not even about whether you are right and wrong but your starting intensity and tone. And blasting an unsupported opinion isn't "thoughtful" either.

So, it's both extreme and thoughtless.

The state department did not set it up.
Do I need to explain more on that?
Do I need to define the word NOT?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Binkowski
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
okiedokie wrote:
I'd like to have a thoughtful exchange regarding Hillary's email server.

First off - thank you for calling it a 'server', because that is what it was: an entire communications server, and not simply a single email account.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
okiedokie wrote:
Politifact is overrun with video ads, so you're correct there. Factcheck seems to be fairly even handed.

I'm willing to read whatever you'd like to provide.

I found a good timeline here:

https://sharylattkisson.com/hillary-clintons-email-the-defin...

Sorry about the ads, I don't see them. I use a plugin called "noscript" that kills unapproved javascript execution. They have been a malware vector a few times now (even from google i think).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.