Subject: A WARNING about Amazon UK Packaging. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Clinton McMaster
United Kingdom
Worcester Park
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apologies in advance, this is going to be off topic as it's not a Hotdeal, but I've not seen anyone talking about this and thought it might be important to some of you, especially when hunting for good deals.

I ordered a game from Amazon UK on the weekend and it arrived this morning, which is great service.

However it came with no packaging at all and just the address label stuck to the shrink-wrap of the game itself. I was lucky and there was no real damage to the box just a minor bumped corner and split cellophane.

This has apparently been happening in America for some time and there have been cases of damaged games arriving, as this reddit page details.

https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/56jeqt/psa_make...

The reddit page also talks about how to avoid this happening to you, in essence what you need to do is look out for this message-

"This item's packaging will indicate what is inside. To Cover it, select Dispatch in Amazon box on the checkout page"

And be sure to select the box option before checking out.

Hope this helps keep some games safe and some surprises unspoilt over christmas.

Thanks to
Dave Wardle
United Kingdom
Petworth
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
for the background info and link to reddit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kirkman
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ClintMc wrote:
Apologies in advance, this is going to be off topic as it's not a Hotdeal, but I've not seen anyone talking about it and thought it might be important to some of you, especially when hunting for good deals.

I ordered a game from Amazon UK on the weekend and it arrived this morning, which is great service.

However it came with no packaging at all and just the address label stuck to the shrink-wrap of the game itself. I was lucky and there was no real damage to the box just a minor bumped corner and split cellophane.

This has apparently been happening in America for some time and there have been cases of damaged games arriving, as this reddit page details.

The reddit page also talks about how to avoid this happening to you, in essence what you need to do is look out for this message-

"This item's packaging will indicate what is inside. To Cover it, select Dispatch in Amazon box on the checkout page"

And be sure to select the box option before checking out.

Hope this helps keep some games safe and some surprises unspoilt over christmas.

Thanks to
Dave Wardle
United Kingdom
Petworth
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
for the background info and link to reddit.

Saw this happen a while back elsewhere, if you do get anything with damage make sure you complain to them that this is a ridiculous policy and that you want compensation as your game got damaged they have been giving some in most instances... As for spoilt surprises, I'd probably still moan so they (at least consider) stop doing it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert
Netherlands
Den Haag
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wow! That's ridiculous!
Thanks for sharing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Forsyth
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes Clint there has been a couple of posts on here about that. I received Amerigo a few months back with no packaging and someone else on here had the same thing happen to them. 1 of the guys in my local game group had a star map for Star Wars X-wing arrive with no packaging as well. Crazy business getting a game in shrink with a postage label on it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a reasonable enough policy for many items. Just not for boardgames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I got Smash Up delivered this way a few weeks ago from Amazon UK.

It was just wrapped in cellophane with an address label on it.

Thought it was weird, especially if you were going to give it to someone as a gift. You would have to open it to remove your address details.

Fortunately it wasn't damaged.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from Hot Deals Europe to Discussing Retailers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
BlackSheep wrote:
It's a reasonable enough policy for many items. Just not for boardgames.

It's not reasonable. It's an EXCELLENT policy. They just need to sort out their product data and only do it on appropriate things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Gent
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This has been going for a few months in the UK, I've seen a few posts on Facebook about this.

I believe Amazon let's you ship in an Amazon box for no extra cost

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeI...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zaphod Beeblebrox
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW, Amazon US has begun employing this same policy during the past few months as well. So it may be a recent worldwide policy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a game on order from Amazon and if it shows up like that I will be complaining to Amazon, regardless of the condition. I did order it with some other items so hopefully that won't happen.

I think I'm going to stay away from ordering from Amazon going forward though (which shouldn't be hard as the prices aren't good compared to online board game stores).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Roach
United Kingdom
Ellesmere Port
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered The Voyages of Marco Polo via Amazon UK market place a few weeks ago. It was sent from Germany by a company called Pick-Nick. It arrived wrapped in black shrink wrap polythene and had been badly crushed. I complained to Amazon and they upheld my complaint and directed the company to reimburse me in full - and yet they are happy to post games without packaging?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jez Overton
United Kingdom
Bedford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Captain Pugwash wrote:
I got Smash Up delivered this way a few weeks ago from Amazon UK.

It was just wrapped in cellophane with an address label on it.

Thought it was weird, especially if you were going to give it to someone as a gift. You would have to open it to remove your address details.

Fortunately it wasn't damaged.

So Smash Up wasn't smashed up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gosland
Australia
Hoddles Creek
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
'At no extra cost' is Retail for price included. It seems to me that those receiving their games 'a naturel' are still paying for packaging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Henson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This happened to me in the US some years back for BGG Secret Santa. I ordered a copy of Francis Drake for my target, and it arrived with a UPS label slapped directly onto the game's shrink. As you can imagine, it was quite damaged. Incredibly frustratingly, it happened again with the replacement product!

Perhaps the strangest email I've ever had to write was to the support staff at CoolStuffInc when I was at my wit's end, asking if they would promise to send my order in a box should I place one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Benson
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
...and I'm back in the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
ClintMc wrote:

Hey, that's my post! I feel a little bad now; I should have posted the same thing over here so that other people might avoid an unfortunate situation. One thing I would recommend is to give feedback on packaging. After you receive your item, there should be an option in your order history to give feedback.

I told them that the box is an important aspect to most board gamers so shipping with a box should be the default. I hope that with enough feedback, Amazon might take the hint and start shipping all board games in boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karsten
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazon.de shipping games WITHOUT PUTTING THEM IN A SHIPPING CARTON now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baz Hemmons
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some cases where no box might be preferable to badly boxed - ordered Game of Thrones from Amazon a while ago and it came in an Amazon box about 4 times bigger than necessary, with no packing whatsoever. It had clearly flown about inside the box and had a badly dented corner. At the time I didn't fancy the hassle of the return so did nothing about it, though I've regretted it ever since. Haven't bought a game from Amazon since then though.

At least if the courier can see what is clearly a product they might tend to be more careful, though of course that doesn't apply to mechanised systems / conveyor belts / douchebags.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.