Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Singh
United States
Moreno Valley
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be visiting Seoul in a few weeks and was wondering if anyone know of any board games that I should look out for that are hard to get in the US. I have King's Pouch and PatcHistory already and I'd like to add some more. Thanks for the help!

Bonus question: Is a Visa credit card accepted in most places in Korea?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
singhalex wrote:
I'll be visiting Seoul in a few weeks and was wondering if anyone know of any board games that I should look out for that are hard to get in the US.

Lectio (previous known as Lexio)

singhalex wrote:
Is a Visa credit card accepted in most places in Korea?

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Pasmeny
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://dicetreegames.com/home/
Winner's Circle

Not a Korean game...but a Korean reprint.

Supposed to see wider distribution, but if it is important for you to get one...

meeplemeeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Black
South Korea
Seoul
Seoul
flag msg tools
I can't think of anything contemporary, but if you're interested in a traditional game, you could pick up a copy of Yut Nori (윷놀이). In the same vein, you could probably also get a nice version of Go (바둑) when you're here.

If you find yourself in the Mapo area (roughly around Hongik University Station) you could browse some of the board game shops and cafes. Dive Dice and Boardpia both have good selections and occasionally good prices too - some Korean reprints are actually cheaper than the original versions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Singh
United States
Moreno Valley
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the the replies! I will be on the lookout for them. Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan Black wrote:
you could pick up a copy of Yut Nori (윷놀이).

Just so the OP knows what this is, it's a team-based Parcheesi style game. And rather than simply using dice, you throw up big sticks, which have 2 sides each. There are actually rules for valid and invalid throws, so it's part dexterity game. In my experience it's basically a drinking game that people play on holidays. If anyone cares, you can also get it (a cheap one at least) on Amazon.com for $14. Admittedly nicer ones will have a roll-up canvas board. Another traditional game (which you can also get on Amazon for $9) is Hwatu.

I personally wouldn't recommend either of these unless you have a particular interest in Korean culture games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Singh
United States
Moreno Valley
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
Dan Black wrote:
you could pick up a copy of Yut Nori (윷놀이).

Just so the OP knows what this is, it's a team-based Parcheesi style game. And rather than simply using dice, you throw up big sticks, which have 2 sides each. There are actually rules for valid and invalid throws, so it's part dexterity game. In my experience it's basically a drinking game that people play on holidays. If anyone cares, you can also get it (a cheap one at least) on Amazon.com for $14. Admittedly nicer ones will have a roll-up canvas board. Another traditional game (which you can also get on Amazon for $9) is Hwatu.

I personally wouldn't recommend either of these unless you have a particular interest in Korean culture games.

Sounds like a game I saw played in India. They were using stones. Thanks for the info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.