Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Seth Dortch
United States
Sparta
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m curious. I wonder why FFG allows packs of this game to go out of print so often. The game seems to be still selling very well. But I have found the lack of availability to be a major issue to me introducing new players to the game.
They try it and get into it. Then they want to build their own decks. Some want to buy the packs in order. But they regularly go out of print. Take right now for instance. The Shadows of Mirkwood cycle is pretty much out of print right now. So I have a few people waiting on it.

Anyone else ever had this issue?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Titus M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely. But I managed to stay amped for the ~2 months it took for Dwarrowdelf to come back into print when I was looking for it.

If they've picked up core sets you could share your pool until things show back up. Having played Dwarrowdelf without SoM, I was aware that I was missing some helpful cards. But that didn't really dull the experience for me - it just gave me a good reason to keep coming back to those quests after I got my hand on some new songs, or Dain.

Your players shouldn't feel pressured to start at SoM (although it may offer a couple easier wins to get their engines revved). The designers playtest a cycle + core, so in theory there's no reason you can't grab the core and jump into the Gray Havens box.

I think people really hamstring themselves when they resolve to play all the quests in order of release, with the card pool as it was at the time. If everybody in your group started collecting a different cycle you'd have access to loads more quests, and the cards getting played would be more diverse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
4wallz wrote:
I’m curious. I wonder why FFG allows packs of this game to go out of print so often. The game seems to be still selling very well.

I think your question probably holds the answer. FFG prints what they estimate to be just enough of the product to satisfy demand. LotR continues to exceed demand so they end up short product.

In the long run, I suspect missing a few potential sales is better than getting stuck with unsold inventory?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Brown
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:
4wallz wrote:
I’m curious. I wonder why FFG allows packs of this game to go out of print so often. The game seems to be still selling very well.

I think your question probably holds the answer. FFG prints what they estimate to be just enough of the product to satisfy demand. LotR continues to exceed demand so they end up short product.

In the long run, I suspect missing a few potential sales is better than getting stuck with unsold inventory?

Totally. There is a financial cost to unsold inventory. To make that up, FFG would either have to charge more or generate a smaller profit from the game.

Given that FFG has access to all of the information, and has the largest stake in the health of the game, I assume that either of those alternatives would be worse overall then the intermittent out of stock issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Btȝ patrem nrum, Benedictum
mbmbmbmbmb
elitusprime wrote:
Robrob wrote:
4wallz wrote:

Totally. There is a financial cost to unsold inventory. To make that up, FFG would either have to charge more or generate a smaller profit from the game.

Given that FFG has access to all of the information, and has the largest stake in the health of the game, I assume that either of those alternatives would be worse overall then the intermittent out of stock issues.

Totally, it's basic econ/capitalism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Dortch
United States
Sparta
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
titusm wrote:

Your players shouldn't feel pressured to start at SoM (although it may offer a couple easier wins to get their engines revved). The designers playtest a cycle + core, so in theory there's no reason you can't grab the core and jump into the Gray Havens box.

I think people really hamstring themselves when they resolve to play all the quests in order of release, with the card pool as it was at the time. If everybody in your group started collecting a different cycle you'd have access to loads more quests, and the cards getting played would be more diverse.

Good call! We have been looking at it like it's a bad thing. But a more diversified quest and player card pool in general aren't a bad thing. Thanks for the tip!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.